* Vector sources for the manual figures ?
@ 2021-04-20 16:10 Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-04-20 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

In the YP manual sources, all the figures are in PNG format. Except for
screenshots, that's far from ideal for high resolution printing and viewing!

Don't we have vector sources of such diagrams anywhere, so that I can
export them to SVG? Don't tell me they were lost during the migration to
Egypt. I mean the migration to Sphinx ;-P

In particular, I'm asking because I managed to find a way to see the
figures in full-width in the epub output (using my KOBO reader to read
the manuals when I'm not in front of my computer, but the figures are
always too small and therefore unreadable). You just need to add
":width: 100%" to each image insertion, and this doesn't seem to disturb
the HTML output which already looks correct.

I'll propose a patch soon, but the results would be even better with
vector figures :)

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [docs] Vector sources for the manual figures ?
@ 2021-04-22  7:58 ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2021-04-22  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

hey Michael,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 6:10 PM Michael Opdenacker <
michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In the YP manual sources, all the figures are in PNG format. Except for
> screenshots, that's far from ideal for high resolution printing and
> viewing!
>
> Don't we have vector sources of such diagrams anywhere, so that I can
> export them to SVG? Don't tell me they were lost during the migration to
> Egypt. I mean the migration to Sphinx ;-P

Nothing was lost/destroyed as part of the migration for sure. And we use
git, so nothing can be lost anyways.
I've used the .png files since they were used in the docbook docs, and
available in yocto-docs, but I am not aware if the 'sources' for these PNG
were some actual SVG.

@ 2021-04-22  9:13 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2021-04-22  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2021-04-20 at 18:10 +0200, Michael Opdenacker wrote:
> In the YP manual sources, all the figures are in PNG format. Except for
> screenshots, that's far from ideal for high resolution printing and viewing!
>
> Don't we have vector sources of such diagrams anywhere, so that I can
> export them to SVG? Don't tell me they were lost during the migration to
> Egypt. I mean the migration to Sphinx ;-P

Unfortunately I don't think we do have the original sources for most of them.
There are some source files here:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/yocto-docs/tree/diagrams/poky-buildprocess

for the architecture diagram, added by me back in 2011 as I wanted to ensure
we did have the sources but Scott handled most of the others and I don't think
Scott did this. Sadly we can't ask him now.

> In particular, I'm asking because I managed to find a way to see the
> figures in full-width in the epub output (using my KOBO reader to read
> the manuals when I'm not in front of my computer, but the figures are
> always too small and therefore unreadable). You just need to add
> ":width: 100%" to each image insertion, and this doesn't seem to disturb
> the HTML output which already looks correct.
>
> I'll propose a patch soon, but the results would be even better with
> vector figures :)

Over time we may want to look at rebuilding them but other than the older
architecture diagram, I think we would have to rebuild.

I know there was an issue reported with a diagram recently and I ended up
editing a few pixels by hand!

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [docs] Vector sources for the manual figures ?
@ 2021-04-22 12:50   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2021-04-22 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Richard,

On 4/22/21 11:13 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Over time we may want to look at rebuilding them but other than the older
> architecture diagram, I think we would have to rebuild.

Indeed, we can do this progressively. Fortunately this is not such a big
deal some of the diagrams are not so difficult to reconstitute. We can
also take this as an opportunity to update the diagrams and make them
more consistent in the way they look.

> I know there was an issue reported with a diagram recently and I ended up
> editing a few pixels by hand!

Let me know next time you have to do this. This will be a perfect excuse
to re-create SVG sources.

Thanks,

Michael.