* Autologin after bootup on the genericx86 machine
@ 2015-09-03  9:36 Gorny Krystian
From: Gorny Krystian @ 2015-09-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I'm using the fido branch and building a genericx86 machine for the core-image-rt image.
After my image boot up I always need to login as root first, is there a way to login and start my application automatically? I can't find an easy way to do this.

Best
Krystian

Krystian Gorny
Research & Development

Wipotec GmbH
Adam-Hoffmann-Str. 26
67657 Kaiserslautern

T +49.631.34146-0
F +49.631.34146-8640
http://www.wipotec.com

[http://www.wipotec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Signatur/W_Standard.jpg]<http://www.wipotec.com>

Legal information:
Wipotec Wiege- und Positioniersysteme GmbH
HRB 2317 Kaiserslautern, Management: T. D?ppre, U. Wagner

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.

* Re: Autologin after bootup on the genericx86 machine
@ 2015-09-03 13:31 ` Leonardo Sandoval
From: Leonardo Sandoval @ 2015-09-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gorny Krystian, yocto

On 09/03/2015 04:36 AM, Gorny Krystian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the fido branch and building a genericx86 machine for the core-image-rt image.
> After my image boot up I always need to login as root first, is there a way to login and start my application automatically? I can't find an easy way to do this.

On your local.conf, add the following

EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"

* Re: Autologin after bootup on the genericx86 machine
@ 2015-09-03 14:04   ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2015-09-03 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Sandoval, Gorny Krystian; +Cc: yocto

On Thursday 03 September 2015 08:31:13 Leonardo Sandoval wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 04:36 AM, Gorny Krystian wrote:
> > I'm using the fido branch and building a genericx86 machine for the
> > core-image-rt image. After my image boot up I always need to login as
> > root first, is there a way to login and start my application
> > automatically? I can't find an easy way to do this.
> On your local.conf, add the following
>
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"

I don't think that's going to help, that just ensures the root password is
blank.

If your application is a background service (or a console/framebuffer
application) then you probably will want to start it as a service i.e. you'll
need to create a initscript (if you're using sysvinit) or a systemd service
file (if using systemd). We have some classes to help install and set these up
(update-rc.d and systemd respectively - these are covered in the reference
manual or you can e.g. "git grep 'inherit.*update-rc.d'" to find examples.

On the other hand if your application runs under X then you should probably
look at meta/recipes-graphics/mini-x-session; you should be able to use it as
a template for creating a session script to start your app.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Autologin after bootup on the genericx86 machine
@ 2015-09-03 14:15     ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2015-09-03 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 September 2015 08:31:13 Leonardo Sandoval wrote:
>> On 09/03/2015 04:36 AM, Gorny Krystian wrote:
>> > I'm using the fido branch and building a genericx86 machine for the
>> > core-image-rt image. After my image boot up I always need to login as
>> > root first, is there a way to login and start my application
>> > automatically? I can't find an easy way to do this.
>> On your local.conf, add the following
>>
>> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"
>
> I don't think that's going to help, that just ensures the root password is
> blank.
>
> If your application is a background service (or a console/framebuffer
> application) then you probably will want to start it as a service i.e. you'll
> need to create a initscript (if you're using sysvinit) or a systemd service
> file (if using systemd). We have some classes to help install and set these up
> (update-rc.d and systemd respectively - these are covered in the reference
> manual or you can e.g. "git grep 'inherit.*update-rc.d'" to find examples.
>
> On the other hand if your application runs under X then you should probably
> look at meta/recipes-graphics/mini-x-session; you should be able to use it as
> a template for creating a session script to start your app.

this is what we use for our images:

https://git.linaro.org/openembedded/meta-linaro.git/tree/HEAD:/meta-linaro/recipes-linaro/auto-serial-console