* Vivante OpenCL Examples Source
@ 2013-05-31  3:10 Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-05-31  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I am unable to find the source code for the Vivante SDK OpenCL samples.  I am having issues with the most basic of kernels failing to build with the error CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE and clGetProgramBuildInfo with CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG is returning an empty string.  I have tested this code against the Mac OpenCL Framework and it works correctly, to my knowledge I am not using any unsupported features for the Embedded Profile.  Are there any known issues with the Vivante CL compiler completely failing to return error logs?  I've included the basic .cl which is failing to compile.

const sampler_t sampler = CLK_NORMALIZED_COORDS_FALSE | CLK_ADDRESS_NONE | CLK_FILTER_NEAREST;

__kernel void copy(__read_only image2d_t sourceImage,
                   __write_only image2d_t targetImage,
                   const uint width, const uint height)
{
    const uint gx = get_global_id(0);
    const uint gy = get_global_id(1);

    if (gx >= width || gy >= height)
        return;

    int2 imageuv = (int2)(gx, gy);
    float4 pixel = read_imagef(sourceImage, sampler, imageuv);
    write_imagef(targetImage, imageuv, pixel);
}

* Re: Vivante OpenCL Examples Source
@ 2013-05-31  5:34 ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-05-31  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Running the same code under the LTIB BSP I am getting the compiler errors so this is specific to the version in Yocto 1.4.  I'll dig more to see library version differences.

In terms of the error, it was complaining about the const sampler_t outside the function.

@ 2013-05-31 17:28   ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-05-31 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

It looks like there's an issue with libOpenCL on the Yocto builds, I can't get it to compile any kernels which work correctly under LTIB.

@ 2013-05-31 18:13     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-05-31 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:

> It looks like there's an issue with libOpenCL on the Yocto builds, I can't
> get it to compile any kernels which work correctly under LTIB.

I didn't get what you mean:

* does it work in LTIB?

* how someone can reproduce it?

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br

* Re: Vivante OpenCL Examples Source
@ 2013-06-02 19:44       ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-06-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Sorry I wasn't clear.  Using my old LTIB setup I was able to correctly get the compiler errors on the console, fixing them allows the application to run.  Meanwhile my yocto installation still wouldn't run with the fix.  I confirmed to be using the same Vivante libraries but noticed my installation was missing a few of the libraries compared to LTIB and adding these solved the issue.  I believe libCLC.so was the missing and required library.

@ 2013-06-03 11:08         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-06-03 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't clear.  Using my old LTIB setup I was able to correctly get
> the compiler errors on the console, fixing them allows the application to
> run.  Meanwhile my yocto installation still wouldn't run with the fix.  I
> confirmed to be using the same Vivante libraries but noticed my
> installation was missing a few of the libraries compared to LTIB and adding
> these solved the issue.  I believe libCLC.so was the missing and required
> library.

Ok; let's understand what you've done so we can fix it in a proper way:

Are you cross-building the application using a recipe or a toolchain?

@ 2013-06-03 13:23         ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2013-06-03 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

I'm so sorry, but I still does not understand what is the issue...

On 06/02/2013 04:44 PM, Sébastien Taylor wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't clear.  Using my old LTIB setup I was able to correctly
> get the compiler errors on the console, fixing them allows the
> application to run.

So, using LTIB you got an error that you fixed. OK

   Meanwhile my yocto installation still wouldn't run
> with the fix.

Which fix????? I suppose it's the same fix you made on LTIB, but what is
that fix?

   I confirmed to be using the same Vivante libraries but
> noticed my installation was missing a few of the libraries compared to
> LTIB and adding these solved the issue.  I believe libCLC.so was the
> missing and required library.

What libraries are you talking about?

---
Daiane

* Re: Vivante OpenCL Examples Source
@ 2013-06-17 15:33           ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-06-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

The issue is dependency between the Vivante OpenCL libraries that isn't implicit.  If the libCLC.so isn't found the compilation simply fails every time.  I understand that it makes sense to separate the CL and CLC libraries as one might want to use pre-compiled .cl files but the silently failing is an issue.  This is all of course all Vivante and uncontrollable by Yocto.  As far as Yocto is concerned libCL.so and libCLC.so should probably be considered interdependent by default.

If not familiar with OpenCL, when I refer to compilation I mean run-time compilation of the .cl kernels.

@ 2013-06-20 21:53             ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-06-20 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:
> The issue is dependency between the Vivante OpenCL libraries that isn't implicit.  If the libCLC.so isn't found the compilation simply fails every time.  I understand that it makes sense to separate the CL and CLC libraries as one might want to use pre-compiled .cl files but the silently failing is an issue.  This is all of course all Vivante and uncontrollable by Yocto.  As far as Yocto is concerned libCL.so and libCLC.so should probably be considered interdependent by default.
>
> If not familiar with OpenCL, when I refer to compilation I mean run-time compilation of the .cl kernels.

I am not  used to OpenCL but I'd like to understand how it should be
properly package so this is done in a logical way.

Can you please provide me an example of:

* when user needs libCL

* when user needs libCLC

* when user needs /both/

?

@ 2013-06-25 15:26               ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-06-25 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

User needs libCL to use OpenCL, to do anything useful you need to compile kernels (shader programs) using libCLC (CL Compiler).  Though technically a pre-compiled shader could be loaded without the need of libCLC I'm not sure if the Vivante libraries actually support this (to pull the objects back out from libCLC).  The fact that libCL silently fails compilation when libCLC is missing is what would lead me to consider both are required for OpenCL.

@ 2013-07-12 13:44                 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-07-12 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:
> User needs libCL to use OpenCL, to do anything useful you need to compile kernels (shader programs) using libCLC (CL Compiler).  Though technically a pre-compiled shader could be loaded without the need of libCLC I'm not sure if the Vivante libraries actually support this (to pull the objects back out from libCLC).  The fact that libCL silently fails compilation when libCLC is missing is what would lead me to consider both are required for OpenCL.

Did you find any reasonable reason to require both? I have no clue
about OpenCL so I really cannot help without some guidance.

@ 2013-07-15 22:36                   ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-07-15 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

I don't understand your question, I think my description details why both would be required.  I guess a good way to go would be with a virtual/opencl that includes libCL and libCLC in Vivante's case.

@ 2013-07-15 22:47                     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-07-15 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:
> I don't understand your question, I think my description details why both would be required.  I guess a good way to go would be with a virtual/opencl that includes libCL and libCLC in Vivante's case.

If we use a virtual, people need to choose which one it'll install. Is
it what you wants?

@ 2013-07-16 17:40                       ` Sébastien Taylor
From: Sébastien Taylor @ 2013-07-16 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

What I mean is for gpu-viv-opencl package libCL and libCLC would be provided.  Then the gpu-viv-opencl package would provide virtual/opencl.  It might also be worth seeing if any of the other BSP provide OpenCL support and see how their libraries are packaged.

The main concern, libCL requires libCLC but this isn't clearly defined anywhere at the moment.

@ 2013-07-18  1:41                         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-07-18  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Taylor; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:
> What I mean is for gpu-viv-opencl package libCL and libCLC would be provided.  Then the gpu-viv-opencl package would provide virtual/opencl.  It might also be worth seeing if any of the other BSP provide OpenCL support and see how their libraries are packaged.
>
> The main concern, libCL requires libCLC but this isn't clearly defined anywhere at the moment.
>
> On 2013-07-15, at 4:47 PM, Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Sébastien Taylor <me@staylor.ca> wrote:
>>> I don't understand your question, I think my description details why both would be required.  I guess a good way to go would be with a virtual/opencl that includes libCL and libCLC in Vivante's case.

I did send a patch for you. Please try this; I think it does make sense.

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br