* imx6q animated splash screen using plymouth
@ 2017-11-09 10:53 Prasant J
From: Prasant J @ 2017-11-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hi,

I'm using toradex imx6q SOM module with yocto 'jethro' release.

Currently we are using psplash for boot screen logo and progress bar.
I would like to know if its possible to run animated splash screen
with plymouth?
Has anyone already tried it with imx6q?

Any inputs will be of help!

Regards, Pj

* Re: imx6q animated splash screen using plymouth
@ 2017-11-09 15:44 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2017-11-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasant J; +Cc: meta-freescale

Prasant,

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using toradex imx6q SOM module with yocto 'jethro' release.
>
> Currently we are using psplash for boot screen logo and progress bar.
> I would like to know if its possible to run animated splash screen
> with plymouth?

Depending on the animation you intend to use, it might not work well
as using software rendering is slow. It'd need to have the GPU backend
support to work fine.

> Has anyone already tried it with imx6q?

At O.S. Systems we developed a boot splash solution which we provide
for our customers that uses the same format for animation of Android.
For this, we added support for the Vivante EGL and G2D backends as
well as Etnaviv.

This is off-topic here so if you want more information please contact
us directly.

* Re: imx6q animated splash screen using plymouth
@ 2017-11-09 19:02   ` Prasant J
From: Prasant J @ 2017-11-09 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Prasant,
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using toradex imx6q SOM module with yocto 'jethro' release.
>>
>> Currently we are using psplash for boot screen logo and progress bar.
>> I would like to know if its possible to run animated splash screen
>> with plymouth?
>
> Depending on the animation you intend to use, it might not work well
> as using software rendering is slow. It'd need to have the GPU backend
> support to work fine.

@Otavio,

Thanks for inputs.
A while back I was looking into GPU/viv topics but that had taken a back
seat (for like 2 years). Now I have moved to a different project and
we need a headful system. So I'm little out of touch with the updates
on the GPU end.

Why do you say it will use software rendering?
We have GPU libraries built in.

What am I missing here?

>> Has anyone already tried it with imx6q?
>
> At O.S. Systems we developed a boot splash solution which we provide
> for our customers that uses the same format for animation of Android.
> For this, we added support for the Vivante EGL and G2D backends as
> well as Etnaviv.
>
> This is off-topic here so if you want more information please contact
> us directly.

Thanks for letting us know.
I will keep this in mind.

@ 2017-11-09 19:08     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2017-11-09 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasant J; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> Prasant,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm using toradex imx6q SOM module with yocto 'jethro' release.
>>>
>>> Currently we are using psplash for boot screen logo and progress bar.
>>> I would like to know if its possible to run animated splash screen
>>> with plymouth?
>>
>> Depending on the animation you intend to use, it might not work well
>> as using software rendering is slow. It'd need to have the GPU backend
>> support to work fine.
>>

> @Otavio,
>
> Thanks for inputs.
> A while back I was looking into GPU/viv topics but that had taken a back
> seat (for like 2 years). Now I have moved to a different project and
> we need a headful system. So I'm little out of touch with the updates
> on the GPU end.
>
> Why do you say it will use software rendering?
> We have GPU libraries built in.
>
> What am I missing here?

I am in doubt it will use GLES 2 automatically; I hope I am wrong.