* running qemu on x86 to emulate t2080 (e6500 cores)
@ 2015-05-11 11:43 Ruiz Ramos, Daniel Norberto
From: Ruiz Ramos, Daniel Norberto @ 2015-05-11 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello All,
My name is Daniel and this is my first post here.

Im trying to emulate a T2080RDB for testing images generated with bitbake, but I have not luck with it. I couldn't find any qemu that support -cpu e6500 option.
I've tried compiling qemu from source, and even all qemus that there are in my yocto project build.
All qemu says the same:

$ ./qemu-system-ppc64 -machine ppce500 -cpu e6500
Unable to initialize CPU!

¿Does anybody knows if the new cpu of Freescale is not supported?

Daniel.

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios. Si no es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización está prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electrónico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvío a la dirección electrónica del remitente.
Evite imprimir este mensaje si no es estrictamente necesario.

This email and any file attached to it (when applicable) contain(s) confidential information that is exclusively addressed to its recipient(s). If you are not the indicated recipient, you are informed that reading, using, disseminating and/or copying it without authorisation is forbidden in accordance with the legislation in effect. If you have received this email by mistake, please immediately notify the sender of the situation by resending it to their email address.
Avoid printing this message if it is not absolutely necessary.

* Re: running qemu on x86 to emulate t2080 (e6500 cores)
@ 2015-05-11 12:41 ` zhenhua.luo
From: zhenhua.luo @ 2015-05-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruiz Ramos, Daniel Norberto, meta-freescale

Hello Daniel,

Currently the x86 host QEMU emulation of QorIQ targets are not supported. QorIQ SDK can support the QorIQ boards QEMU emulation on target boards.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

@ 2015-05-11 12:44   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-05-11 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhenhua.luo; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 9:41 AM, zhenhua.luo@freescale.com
<zhenhua.luo@freescale.com> wrote:
> Currently the x86 host QEMU emulation of QorIQ targets are not supported. QorIQ SDK can support the QorIQ boards QEMU emulation on target boards.

QEMU emulation on target is more regarding providing runtime isolation
than emulation itself, isn't it?

* Re: running qemu on x86 to emulate t2080 (e6500 cores)
@ 2015-05-11 13:15   ` Ruiz Ramos, Daniel Norberto
From: Ruiz Ramos, Daniel Norberto @ 2015-05-11 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhenhua.luo, meta-freescale

Thank you for your quick answer Zhenhua,
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the qemu-system-ppc64 compiled to x86 can support  the previous e5500 core through -cpu e5500 option.
¿Does it mean that there are some partial QorIQ hardware  emulation on x86 host QEMU?
¿Or we are talking about all qemus in Freescale SDK is only focused to let powerpc hardware emulates it-self?

Best regards,

@ 2015-05-12  6:22     ` Luo Zhenhua
From: Luo Zhenhua @ 2015-05-12  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Otavio,

Please see the following description of the QEMU support in QorIQ SDK.

" On the target we do not need full emulation, we use QEMU + KVM. And the purpose of such a scenario would be to be able to run multiple machines on the same hardware with as little as possible overhead and of course this will include isolation, partitioning of the hardware resources, direct access to some hardware resources.

On x86 we would need full emulation of the platform, of course in this situation the overhead would be significant. A situation in which such a scenario could be used is software development/debugging on an emulated platform."

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

@ 2015-05-12  6:24     ` Luo Zhenhua
From: Luo Zhenhua @ 2015-05-12  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruiz Ramos, Daniel Norberto; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Daniel,

The x86-host QEMU emulation for QorIQ targets is not verified in QorIQ SDK, so it is not officially supported in SDK. SDK focus on self-emulation on QorIQ targets.

It is possible to emulate the QorIQ targets on x86 host if corresponding core types are supported in opensource QEMU code, like what you mentioned below, only partial QorIQ HWs can be emulated.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua