* Conflict of systemd and sysvinit
@ 2019-08-17 19:27 Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2019-08-17 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hello,

I found a build error at master.

Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package systemd wants to install file
.../rootfs/sbin/telinit
        But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit

Can someone take a look?

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

* Re: Conflict of systemd and sysvinit
@ 2019-08-19  1:59 ` Kang Kai
From: Kang Kai @ 2019-08-19  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 2019/8/18 上午3:27, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a build error at master.
>
> Collected errors:
>   * check_data_file_clashes: Package systemd wants to install file
> .../rootfs/sbin/telinit
>          But that file is already provided by package  * sysvinit
>
> Can someone take a look?

Hi Otavio,

Would you like to give more detailed steps how the error occurred? And
what's extra settings in you local.conf please?

Thanks,
Kai

--
Kai Kang

* Re: Conflict of systemd and sysvinit
@ 2019-08-19 10:37   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2019-08-19 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kang Kai; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:00 PM Kang Kai <Kai.Kang@windriver.com> wrote:
> On 2019/8/18 上午3:27, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Would you like to give more detailed steps how the error occurred? And
> what's extra settings in you local.conf please?

I had sysvinit and systemd enabled.

@ 2019-08-19 16:27     ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2019-08-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 19/08/2019 11:37, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:00 PM Kang Kai <Kai.Kang@windriver.com> wrote:
>> On 2019/8/18 上午3:27, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Would you like to give more detailed steps how the error occurred? And
>> what's extra settings in you local.conf please?
>
> I had sysvinit and systemd enabled.

The autobuilder should be exercising this, so when it's fixed we need to
ensure the AB covers the case Otavio is hitting.

Ross

* Re: Conflict of systemd and sysvinit
@ 2019-08-19 16:47       ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2019-08-19 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton, openembedded-core

On 8/19/19 11:27 AM, Ross Burton wrote:
> On 19/08/2019 11:37, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:00 PM Kang Kai <Kai.Kang@windriver.com> wrote:
>>> On 2019/8/18 上午3:27, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>> Would you like to give more detailed steps how the error occurred? And
>>> what's extra settings in you local.conf please?
>>
>> I had sysvinit and systemd enabled.
>
> The autobuilder should be exercising this, so when it's fixed we need to
> ensure the AB covers the case Otavio is hitting.

If they are both enabled what is the expected functionality of the system?
(which is init, etc...)

--Mark

@ 2019-08-19 16:49         ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2019-08-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@windriver.com> wrote:
> On 8/19/19 11:27 AM, Ross Burton wrote:
> >>
> >> I had sysvinit and systemd enabled.
> >
> > The autobuilder should be exercising this, so when it's fixed we need to
> > ensure the AB covers the case Otavio is hitting.
>
> If they are both enabled what is the expected functionality of the system?
> (which is init, etc...)

The image needs to pick the desired ones.

@ 2019-08-19 17:22           ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2019-08-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 8/19/19 11:49 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM Mark Hatle <mark.hatle@windriver.com> wrote:

>>> The autobuilder should be exercising this, so when it's fixed we need to
>>> ensure the AB covers the case Otavio is hitting.
>>
>> If they are both enabled what is the expected functionality of the system?
>> (which is init, etc...)
>
> The image needs to pick the desired ones.

Ok.. so build both packages.. and then come install time, one or the other must
be in the PACKAGE_INSTALL (however the image chooses to do this), and the other
should NOT be included.

This could be problematic, as I've seen recipes build with systemd dependencies
in them.  (Both initscripts as well as system health monitoring and such..  That
would conflict with a sysvinit [or systemd] if configured for the other.)
Someone may need to review dependencies in the system looking for things that
depend on systemd... or have a systemd/sysvinit 'conflict' of some kind.  (I've
not attempted such an audit before.)

I would be interested in seeing dependency graphs on this.  In my own work I've
selected one or the other at the distribution level, not image level.

--Mark

* Re: Conflict of systemd and sysvinit
@ 2019-08-27 18:23             ` Adrian Bunk
From: Adrian Bunk @ 2019-08-27 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle
  Cc: Otavio Salvador, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 12:22:30PM -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 8/19/19 11:49 AM, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> >> If they are both enabled what is the expected functionality of the system?
> >> (which is init, etc...)
> >
> > The image needs to pick the desired ones.
>
> Ok.. so build both packages.. and then come install time, one or the other must
> be in the PACKAGE_INSTALL (however the image chooses to do this), and the other
> should NOT be included.
>
> This could be problematic, as I've seen recipes build with systemd dependencies
> in them.  (Both initscripts as well as system health monitoring and such..  That
> would conflict with a sysvinit [or systemd] if configured for the other.)
> Someone may need to review dependencies in the system looking for things that
> depend on systemd... or have a systemd/sysvinit 'conflict' of some kind.  (I've
> not attempted such an audit before.)

Dependencies on libsystemd are not a problem in sysvinit systems,
assuming there is proper runtime fallback code.
Shipping both an init script and a systemd unit file is also not a problem.

In Debian you can just switch the init system and reboot and it works,
with all the other binary packages unchanged.

> --Mark

cu
Adrian

BTW: There are problems like how to make GNOME happy without systemd,
     and there is a lack of people in Debian working actively on the
     sysvinit side. But on a high level the problems you were worried
     about are "works in Debian".