* [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-23 17:54 Otavio Salvador
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-10-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo

Hello folks,

I have been working at stabilizing the core BSP boards (Freescale
reference boards) for Yocto Project 2.0 release - jethro. As most of
you are aware one of the changes for this release is the GCC version
update.

The vendors needing to check the boards are:

Boundary Devices
CompuLab
Congatec
Crystalfontz
DENX
Device Solutions
Phytec
SolidRun
Wandboard.org

These vendors are responsible for one, or more, of the following boards:

imx6qsabrelite (Boundary Devices i.MX6Q SABRE Lite)
nitrogen6sx (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6SX)
nitrogen6x (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X)
nitrogen6x-lite (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X Lite)
cm-fx6 (CompuLab CM-FX6)
cgtqmx6 (Congatec Qmx6)
cfa10036 (Crystalfontz CFA-10036)
cfa10037 (Crystalfontz CFA-10037)
cfa10049 (Crystalfontz CFA-10049)
cfa10055 (Crystalfontz CFA-10055)
cfa10056 (Crystalfontz CFA-10056)
cfa10057 (Crystalfontz CFA-10057)
cfa10058 (Crystalfontz CFA-10058)
quartz (Device Solutions Quartz Vybrid Development Kit)
ventana (i.MX6Q/DL Ventana Platform)
pcl052 (Phytec Cosmic Vybrid Development Kit)
pcm052 (Phytec phyCORE Vybrid Development Kit)
cubox-i (SolidRun CuBox-i and HummingBoard)
wandboard (Wandboard i.MX6 Wandboard Quad/Dual/Solo)
m28evk (DENX M28 SoM Evaluation Kit)
m53evk (DENX M53 SoM Evaluation Kit)

For i.MX6 based boards, the linux-fslc-mx6 kernel has the patches
applied as it is updated with the Linux 3.14 stable releases.
Following patches are worth checking:

 - allow the Vivante GPU kernel module to work:
   https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/22f692548037e39809c32759b5600ee066ef59e9.patch

 - GCC 5.2 fixes :
   https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/aeea3592a13bf12861943e44fc48f1f270941f8d.patch
   https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/76ae03828756bac2c1fa2c7eff7485e5f815dbdb.patch

For other SoCs the linux-fslc 4.1 branch seems to be a good option to
avoid the local recipe and this maintenance burden.

WARNING: I will REMOVE boards which are kept broken so please respond
to this email with a plan for fixing it.

Best Regards,

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-23 17:58 ` Pushpal Sidhu
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Pushpal Sidhu @ 2015-10-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo, meta-freescale

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have been working at stabilizing the core BSP boards (Freescale
> reference boards) for Yocto Project 2.0 release - jethro. As most of
> you are aware one of the changes for this release is the GCC version
> update.
>
> The vendors needing to check the boards are:
>
> Boundary Devices
> CompuLab
> Congatec
> Crystalfontz
> DENX
> Device Solutions
> Phytec
> SolidRun
> Wandboard.org
>
> These vendors are responsible for one, or more, of the following boards:
>
> imx6qsabrelite (Boundary Devices i.MX6Q SABRE Lite)
> nitrogen6sx (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6SX)
> nitrogen6x (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X)
> nitrogen6x-lite (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X Lite)
> cm-fx6 (CompuLab CM-FX6)
> cgtqmx6 (Congatec Qmx6)
> cfa10036 (Crystalfontz CFA-10036)
> cfa10037 (Crystalfontz CFA-10037)
> cfa10049 (Crystalfontz CFA-10049)
> cfa10055 (Crystalfontz CFA-10055)
> cfa10056 (Crystalfontz CFA-10056)
> cfa10057 (Crystalfontz CFA-10057)
> cfa10058 (Crystalfontz CFA-10058)
> quartz (Device Solutions Quartz Vybrid Development Kit)
> ventana (i.MX6Q/DL Ventana Platform)
> pcl052 (Phytec Cosmic Vybrid Development Kit)
> pcm052 (Phytec phyCORE Vybrid Development Kit)
> cubox-i (SolidRun CuBox-i and HummingBoard)
> wandboard (Wandboard i.MX6 Wandboard Quad/Dual/Solo)
> m28evk (DENX M28 SoM Evaluation Kit)
> m53evk (DENX M53 SoM Evaluation Kit)
>
> For i.MX6 based boards, the linux-fslc-mx6 kernel has the patches
> applied as it is updated with the Linux 3.14 stable releases.
> Following patches are worth checking:
>
>  - allow the Vivante GPU kernel module to work:
>    https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/22f692548037e39809c32759b5600ee066ef59e9.patch
>
>  - GCC 5.2 fixes :
>    https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/aeea3592a13bf12861943e44fc48f1f270941f8d.patch
>    https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/76ae03828756bac2c1fa2c7eff7485e5f815dbdb.patch
>
> For other SoCs the linux-fslc 4.1 branch seems to be a good option to
> avoid the local recipe and this maintenance burden.
>
> WARNING: I will REMOVE boards which are kept broken so please respond
> to this email with a plan for fixing it.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> --
> Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
> http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://code.ossystems.com.br
> Mobile: +55 (53) 9981-7854            Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

I'll look into updating the Ventana platform.

- Pushpal

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-23 18:41 ` Ian Coolidge
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Coolidge @ 2015-10-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo, meta-freescale

I'll handle updating Boundary Device's boards. Thanks.

@ 2015-10-23 18:52   ` Tony Felice
From: Tony Felice @ 2015-10-23 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Coolidge; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo, meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

I will update the Phytec/Quartz board support.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Ian Coolidge <ian@boundarydevices.com>
wrote:

> I'll handle updating Boundary Device's boards. Thanks.
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Otavio Salvador <
> otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I have been working at stabilizing the core BSP boards (Freescale
>> reference boards) for Yocto Project 2.0 release - jethro. As most of
>> you are aware one of the changes for this release is the GCC version
>> update.
>>
>> The vendors needing to check the boards are:
>>
>> Boundary Devices
>> CompuLab
>> Congatec
>> Crystalfontz
>> DENX
>> Device Solutions
>> Phytec
>> SolidRun
>> Wandboard.org
>>
>> These vendors are responsible for one, or more, of the following boards:
>>
>> imx6qsabrelite (Boundary Devices i.MX6Q SABRE Lite)
>> nitrogen6sx (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6SX)
>> nitrogen6x (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X)
>> nitrogen6x-lite (Boundary Devices Nitrogen6X Lite)
>> cm-fx6 (CompuLab CM-FX6)
>> cgtqmx6 (Congatec Qmx6)
>> cfa10036 (Crystalfontz CFA-10036)
>> cfa10037 (Crystalfontz CFA-10037)
>> cfa10049 (Crystalfontz CFA-10049)
>> cfa10055 (Crystalfontz CFA-10055)
>> cfa10056 (Crystalfontz CFA-10056)
>> cfa10057 (Crystalfontz CFA-10057)
>> cfa10058 (Crystalfontz CFA-10058)
>> quartz (Device Solutions Quartz Vybrid Development Kit)
>> ventana (i.MX6Q/DL Ventana Platform)
>> pcl052 (Phytec Cosmic Vybrid Development Kit)
>> pcm052 (Phytec phyCORE Vybrid Development Kit)
>> cubox-i (SolidRun CuBox-i and HummingBoard)
>> wandboard (Wandboard i.MX6 Wandboard Quad/Dual/Solo)
>> m28evk (DENX M28 SoM Evaluation Kit)
>> m53evk (DENX M53 SoM Evaluation Kit)
>>
>> For i.MX6 based boards, the linux-fslc-mx6 kernel has the patches
>> applied as it is updated with the Linux 3.14 stable releases.
>> Following patches are worth checking:
>>
>>  - allow the Vivante GPU kernel module to work:
>>
>> https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/22f692548037e39809c32759b5600ee066ef59e9.patch
>>
>>  - GCC 5.2 fixes :
>>
>> https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/aeea3592a13bf12861943e44fc48f1f270941f8d.patch
>>
>> https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/commit/76ae03828756bac2c1fa2c7eff7485e5f815dbdb.patch
>>
>> For other SoCs the linux-fslc 4.1 branch seems to be a good option to
>> avoid the local recipe and this maintenance burden.
>>
>> WARNING: I will REMOVE boards which are kept broken so please respond
>> to this email with a plan for fixing it.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Otavio Salvador                             O.S. Systems
>> http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://code.ossystems.com.br
>> Mobile: +55 (53) 9981-7854            Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

--
Tony Felice
Vybrid Technical Lead
Timesys Corporation

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-23 23:38 ` Ian Coolidge
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ian Coolidge @ 2015-10-23 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo, meta-freescale

Those patches worked for us. Thanks Otavio!

Sent in a patch to update meta-fsl-arm-extra for Boundary Device's kernel
for Jethro.

Thanks!
Ian Coolidge

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-10-24  2:00 ` Alexandre Belloni
       [not found] ` <CACS+7ZSCiwc+nmQeJg2hi+cxzL9yCBsvLx3ZncbEYWWqNpsZEw@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2015-10-24  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo, meta-freescale

Hi,

On 23/10/2015 at 15:54:36 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote :
> Hello folks,
>
> I have been working at stabilizing the core BSP boards (Freescale
> reference boards) for Yocto Project 2.0 release - jethro. As most of
> you are aware one of the changes for this release is the GCC version
> update.
>
> The vendors needing to check the boards are:
>
> Boundary Devices
> CompuLab
> Congatec
> Crystalfontz

I'm working on the Crystalfontz boards but already know that
4b3c534a56658eaa708fe1d63ee8148cf84a0499 doesn't play nice with boards
that don't have any u-boot support.
The only solution I have right now is to set
IMAGE_FSTYPES_mxs ?= "tar.bz2 ext3 barebox.mxsboot-sdcard sdcard"
before
include conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc

Which is really ugly.

--
Alexandre Belloni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

@ 2015-10-24 17:23   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-10-24 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan McGregor, meta-freescale

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Dan McGregor <danismostlikely@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have local patches for Wandboard; I'll post them on Monday.

A pull request has been made for Wandboard kernel[1] and I merged it.

1. https://github.com/wandboard-org/linux/pull/5

Please check if you have any improvement for their kernel and send.

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-24 17:25   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-10-24 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Belloni; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Alexandre Belloni
<alexandre.belloni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On 23/10/2015 at 15:54:36 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote :
>> Crystalfontz
>
> I'm working on the Crystalfontz boards but already know that
> 4b3c534a56658eaa708fe1d63ee8148cf84a0499 doesn't play nice with boards
> that don't have any u-boot support.
> The only solution I have right now is to set
> IMAGE_FSTYPES_mxs ?= "tar.bz2 ext3 barebox.mxsboot-sdcard sdcard"
> before
> include conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc
>
> Which is really ugly.

Agreed but this is better than a broken board. Also, it would be great
to port this board for U-Boot, but this is future work ;-)

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-24 21:52     ` Alexandre Belloni
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2015-10-24 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On 24/10/2015 at 15:25:22 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote :
> Agreed but this is better than a broken board. Also, it would be great
> to port this board for U-Boot, but this is future work ;-)

I don't think u-boot has to have the monopoly so I will let that as an
exercise to others ;)

--

@ 2015-10-24 22:13       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-10-24 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Belloni; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Alexandre Belloni
<alexandre.belloni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On 24/10/2015 at 15:25:22 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote :
>> Agreed but this is better than a broken board. Also, it would be great
>> to port this board for U-Boot, but this is future work ;-)
>>

> I don't think u-boot has to have the monopoly so I will let that as an
> exercise to others ;)

In worse case, add the MXS power support to barebox so we can drop
imx-bootlets as the quality of code is a disaster.

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-24 22:29         ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2015-10-24 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

>> I don't think u-boot has to have the monopoly so I will let that as an
>> exercise to others ;)
>
> In worse case, add the MXS power support to barebox so we can drop
> imx-bootlets as the quality of code is a disaster.

Barebox does not need to use imx-bootlets anymore:

commit 93ba78ece1eb153be1519b254b7ae4e1f8289b70
Author: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
Date:   Tue Jan 20 14:52:39 2015 +0100

    ARM: MXS: imx28evk: Add lowlevel support

    This switches the imx28evk to multiimage support and adds the
    lowlevel initialization to make the bootlets unnecessary.

    Signed-off-by: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>

Looks like it is just a matter of upgrading the barebox recipe.

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
@ 2015-10-24 22:32           ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-10-24 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>
>>> I don't think u-boot has to have the monopoly so I will let that as an
>>> exercise to others ;)
>>
>> In worse case, add the MXS power support to barebox so we can drop
>> imx-bootlets as the quality of code is a disaster.
>
> Barebox does not need to use imx-bootlets anymore:
>
> commit 93ba78ece1eb153be1519b254b7ae4e1f8289b70
> Author: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
> Date:   Tue Jan 20 14:52:39 2015 +0100
>
>     ARM: MXS: imx28evk: Add lowlevel support
>
>     This switches the imx28evk to multiimage support and adds the
>     lowlevel initialization to make the bootlets unnecessary.
>
>     Signed-off-by: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer@pengutronix.de>
>
> Looks like it is just a matter of upgrading the barebox recipe.

Awesome; so Alex let's upgrade it and drop imx-bootlets \m/ - Dead to
disgusting code ;-) Yey!

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <CACS+7ZSCiwc+nmQeJg2hi+cxzL9yCBsvLx3ZncbEYWWqNpsZEw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-10-26 18:15 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2015-10-26 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Stefan Agner, Alex de Cabo, meta-freescale

Hello folks,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> The vendors needing to check the boards are:
>
> Boundary Devices
> Congatec
> Wandboard.org

Those vendors has already sent patches to fix the failures.

> CompuLab
> Crystalfontz

Are known to be working on fixes.

> DENX
> Device Solutions
> Phytec
> SolidRun

Still pending. News?

* Re: [CRITICAL] Boards failing to build with GCC 5.2 - Kernel patches are needed
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-11-11 14:30 ` Alejandro.de-cabo-Garcia
From: Alejandro.de-cabo-Garcia @ 2015-11-11 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: Stefan Agner, meta-freescale