* Scalability Question
@ 2014-07-04 20:40 Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-07-04 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I am curious after reading some outdated kernel papers, how scalable
is the kernel of
late? I am curious mostly in memory and cpu subsystems as file systems
will change
based on user's choice.
Nicholas Krause

* Re: Scalability Question
@ 2014-07-05  3:24 ` Mike Galbraith
From: Mike Galbraith @ 2014-07-05  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Krause; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 2014-07-04 at 16:40 -0400, Nick Krause wrote:
> I am curious after reading some outdated kernel papers, how scalable
> is the kernel of
> late? I am curious mostly in memory and cpu subsystems as file systems
> will change
> based on user's choice.

You can currently configure for up to 8192 CPUs.  I've not seen any
benchmark data whatsoever for huge boxen, have no idea where which
subsystem crumbles.  SGI asked for the increase to 8192, so presumably
do manage to squeeze acceptable performance out of size XXXXL boxen.

-Mike

* Re: Scalability Question
@ 2014-07-05  3:33   ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2014-07-05  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Galbraith; +Cc: linux-kernel

The most powerful super computer runs Ubuntu with over 3.2 million cores.
There fore I can state that Linux is very good at scaling as I have seem
the other side with embedded systems.
Cheers Nick

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Mike Galbraith
<umgwanakikbuti@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-04 at 16:40 -0400, Nick Krause wrote:
>> I am curious after reading some outdated kernel papers, how scalable
>> is the kernel of
>> late? I am curious mostly in memory and cpu subsystems as file systems
>> will change
>> based on user's choice.
>
> You can currently configure for up to 8192 CPUs.  I've not seen any
> benchmark data whatsoever for huge boxen, have no idea where which
> subsystem crumbles.  SGI asked for the increase to 8192, so presumably
> do manage to squeeze acceptable performance out of size XXXXL boxen.
>
> -Mike

* Re: Scalability Question
@ 2014-07-05  3:44     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2014-07-05  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Krause; +Cc: Mike Galbraith, linux-kernel

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 5:33 AM, Nick Krause <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:
> The most powerful super computer runs Ubuntu with over 3.2 million cores.

These kind of computers don't run a single kernel.
See grid computing.

> There fore I can state that Linux is very good at scaling as I have seem
> the other side with embedded systems.
> Cheers Nick
>
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Mike Galbraith
> <umgwanakikbuti@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2014-07-04 at 16:40 -0400, Nick Krause wrote:
>>> I am curious after reading some outdated kernel papers, how scalable
>>> is the kernel of
>>> late? I am curious mostly in memory and cpu subsystems as file systems
>>> will change
>>> based on user's choice.
>>
>> You can currently configure for up to 8192 CPUs.  I've not seen any
>> benchmark data whatsoever for huge boxen, have no idea where which
>> subsystem crumbles.  SGI asked for the increase to 8192, so presumably
>> do manage to squeeze acceptable performance out of size XXXXL boxen.
>>
>> -Mike

//richard

* Re: Scalability Question
@ 2014-07-05  3:54       ` Nick Krause