* Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 13:22 Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2015-03-27 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Greetings All,
I have been reading this list for the last few weeks and was wondering
how I can start contributing.
Further more I have some understanding of kernel internals and file
systems related to Linux so
helping out would be no problem, if there are any requests for where I
should start please let me
known.
Thanks,
Nick

* Re: Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 13:52 ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2015-03-27 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Krause, linux-mtd

Am 27.03.2015 um 14:22 schrieb Nick Krause:
> Greetings All,
> I have been reading this list for the last few weeks and was wondering
> how I can start contributing.
> Further more I have some understanding of kernel internals and file
> systems related to Linux so
> helping out would be no problem, if there are any requests for where I
> should start please let me
> known.
> Thanks,
> Nick

Just get some hardware and start play with it. Try to brake it or write
a new driver. After some work you will see how match work is needed :)

Oleksij

* Re: Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 14:20   ` Nicholas Krause
From: Nicholas Krause @ 2015-03-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel, linux-mtd

On March 27, 2015 9:52:59 AM EDT, Oleksij Rempel <linux@rempel-privat.de> wrote:
>Am 27.03.2015 um 14:22 schrieb Nick Krause:
>> Greetings All,
>> I have been reading this list for the last few weeks and was
>wondering
>> how I can start contributing.
>> Further more I have some understanding of kernel internals and file
>> systems related to Linux so
>> helping out would be no problem, if there are any requests for where
>> should start please let me
>> known.
>> Thanks,
>> Nick
>
>Just get some hardware and start play with it. Try to brake it or write
>a new driver. After some work you will see how match work is needed :)
Olaf,
That's the issue,  I don't know where to
purchase a board with mtd flash on it.
If you can point to where I can purchase a rather inexpensive board for this that would be great. Furthermore I was interested in how we are doing with fixing the issue relating to handling data concisely if there is a  power failure when writing to the flash on the system.
Nick

* Re: Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 15:24     ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2015-03-27 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Krause, linux-mtd

Am 27.03.2015 um 15:20 schrieb Nicholas Krause:

> On March 27, 2015 9:52:59 AM EDT, Oleksij Rempel <linux@rempel-privat.de> wrote:
>> Am 27.03.2015 um 14:22 schrieb Nick Krause:
>>> Greetings All,
>>> I have been reading this list for the last few weeks and was
>> wondering
>>> how I can start contributing.
>>> Further more I have some understanding of kernel internals and file
>>> systems related to Linux so
>>> helping out would be no problem, if there are any requests for where
>>> should start please let me
>>> known.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nick
>>
>> Just get some hardware and start play with it. Try to brake it or write
>> a new driver. After some work you will see how match work is needed :)
> Olaf,
> That's the issue,  I don't know where to
> purchase a board with mtd flash on it.
> If you can point to where I can purchase a rather inexpensive board for this that would be great. Furthermore I was interested in how we are doing with fixing the issue relating to handling data concisely if there is a  power failure when writing to the flash on the system.
> Nick

Not sure if i can suggest you exact board. Probably i can give you some
direction. Since you wish to play with file system, then you probably
need some think bigger then 8MB of storage. In this case NAND will be
better choice.
You will need a SOC/Board with:
- NAND controller
- as match open as possible - you will need to work with latest vanilla
kernel source.

- MIPS Creator CI20
- ASM9260t eval board (i work on upstreaming. if you wish to work on
this, we can talk about it)

Other options with nand on board? Or other suggestions?

Oleksij

* Re: Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 16:02       ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2015-03-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Oleksij Rempel <linux@rempel-privat.de> wrote:
> Am 27.03.2015 um 15:20 schrieb Nicholas Krause:

>>> wondering
>>>
>>> Just get some hardware and start play with it. Try to brake it or write
>>> a new driver. After some work you will see how match work is needed :)
>> Olaf,
>> That's the issue,  I don't know where to
>> purchase a board with mtd flash on it.
>> If you can point to where I can purchase a rather inexpensive board for this that would be great. Furthermore I was interested in how we are doing with fixing the issue relating to handling data concisely if there is a  power failure when writing to the flash on the system.
>> Nick
>
> Not sure if i can suggest you exact board. Probably i can give you some
> direction. Since you wish to play with file system, then you probably
> need some think bigger then 8MB of storage. In this case NAND will be
> better choice.
> You will need a SOC/Board with:
> - NAND controller
> - as match open as possible - you will need to work with latest vanilla
> kernel source.
>
> - MIPS Creator CI20
> - ASM9260t eval board (i work on upstreaming. if you wish to work on
> this, we can talk about it)
>
> Other options with nand on board? Or other suggestions?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Oleksij

I would be glad to help you upstream the board you are working on.
Cheers,
Nick

* Re: Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 16:38         ` Oleksij Rempel
From: Oleksij Rempel @ 2015-03-27 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Krause; +Cc: linux-mtd

Am 27.03.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Nick Krause:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Oleksij Rempel <linux@rempel-privat.de> wrote:

>>> Olaf,
>>> That's the issue,  I don't know where to
>>> purchase a board with mtd flash on it.
>>> If you can point to where I can purchase a rather inexpensive board for this that would be great. Furthermore I was interested in how we are doing with fixing the issue relating to handling data concisely if there is a  power failure when writing to the flash on the system.
>>> Nick
>>
>> Not sure if i can suggest you exact board. Probably i can give you some
>> direction. Since you wish to play with file system, then you probably
>> need some think bigger then 8MB of storage. In this case NAND will be
>> better choice.
>> You will need a SOC/Board with:
>> - NAND controller
>> - as match open as possible - you will need to work with latest vanilla
>> kernel source.
>>
>> - MIPS Creator CI20
>> - ASM9260t eval board (i work on upstreaming. if you wish to work on
>> this, we can talk about it)
>>
>> Other options with nand on board? Or other suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Oleksij
>>
> I would be glad to help you upstream the board you are working on.
> Cheers,
> Nick

About this project,

- it is a SoC produced in China by some no name company
- None of persons working on this project will probably ever be able to
get money on it
- our target is to have open and as chap as possible board.

You will need:
- own evaluation board and some jtag adapter for openocd (i use bus
blaster v3, some thing else should work too)
- probably most important, fix you patch and community skills - if i see
it correctly, your reputation need really hard work to be acceptable.

If you ok with all this, send me privately you skype name. It is
probably most stable way to communicate with devs in china.

Oleksij

* Re: Help Out
@ 2015-03-27 16:45           ` Nick Krause
From: Nick Krause @ 2015-03-27 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksij Rempel; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Oleksij Rempel <linux@rempel-privat.de> wrote:
> Am 27.03.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Nick Krause:

>>> Not sure if i can suggest you exact board. Probably i can give you some
>>> direction. Since you wish to play with file system, then you probably
>>> need some think bigger then 8MB of storage. In this case NAND will be
>>> better choice.
>>> You will need a SOC/Board with:
>>> - NAND controller
>>> - as match open as possible - you will need to work with latest vanilla
>>> kernel source.
>>>
>>> - MIPS Creator CI20
>>> - ASM9260t eval board (i work on upstreaming. if you wish to work on
>>> this, we can talk about it)
>>>
>>> Other options with nand on board? Or other suggestions?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Oleksij
>>>
>> I would be glad to help you upstream the board you are working on.
>> Cheers,
>> Nick
>
> About this project,
>
> - it is a SoC produced in China by some no name company
> - None of persons working on this project will probably ever be able to
> get money on it
> - our target is to have open and as chap as possible board.
>
> You will need:
> - own evaluation board and some jtag adapter for openocd (i use bus
> blaster v3, some thing else should work too)
> - probably most important, fix you patch and community skills - if i see
> it correctly, your reputation need really hard work to be acceptable.
>
> If you ok with all this, send me privately you skype name. It is
> probably most stable way to communicate with devs in china.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Oleksij

I don't have a skype name. However email I think works fine for this.
Nick

* Help Out
@ 2014-12-18 18:00 nick
From: nick @ 2014-12-18 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Greetings Mtd Developers,
I am looking to help out in this subsystem. Please note I am no longer acting immature
and sending out shitty patches. Further more I hope to help out where you guys need the
help. Please send me a TODO list for this subsystem or a project, either way I want to
learn more about this area and help out.
Regards Nick

* Help Out
@ 2014-09-28  1:47 nick
From: nick @ 2014-09-28  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hello Fellow Developers,
I am wondering where I can start helping out with the btrfs code base and user space tools.
If someone has any ideas that would be very helpful as I would like to help but don't known
where to get started.
Regards Nick