* [Buildroot] where to commit a kernel modification?
@ 2012-04-18 21:16 MERCADIER Johann
From: MERCADIER Johann @ 2012-04-18 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

  I would like to brings some modification to the kernel necessary to
enable headset o/p to produce sound. Without it the twl6040 is not enabled
as not registered when module is loaded. Where should I commit this?

thanks.

--
Cordialement.

___Johann MERCADIER___

:(){ :|:& };:
"I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little for so long
that I am now qualified to do anything with nothing."
HOOSEEK (http://www.hooseek.com/) 1?moteur de recherche solidaire!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] where to commit a kernel modification?
@ 2012-04-21 13:39 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2012-04-21 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wednesday 18 April 2012 23:16:00 MERCADIER Johann wrote:
>   I would like to brings some modification to the kernel necessary to
> enable headset o/p to produce sound. Without it the twl6040 is not enabled
> as not registered when module is loaded. Where should I commit this?

 Obviously not here :-)

 Where to submit it to depends on where you're making changes.  There
is a script in the kernel source to help you:

./scripts/get_maintainer.pl <patchfile>

or

./scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f <sourcefile>

 Look carefully at the output and consider for each e-mail address if
it is really appropriate.  Common sense is important here.

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540

* [Buildroot] where to commit a kernel modification?
@ 2012-04-21 19:48   ` Ezequiel García
From: Ezequiel García @ 2012-04-21 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout@mind.be> wrote:
>> as not registered when module is loaded. Where should I commit this?

Write and Submit your first Linux kernel Patch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4

this should get you started ;)

* [Buildroot] where to commit a kernel modification?
@ 2012-04-24  9:00     ` MERCADIER Johann
From: MERCADIER Johann @ 2012-04-24  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Arnout & Ezequiel,
  and thanks for your reply.
  I wanted to be sure to do the right think. I will commit this patch
before the end of this week.

  Bye.

--
Cordialement.

___Johann MERCADIER___

:(){ :|:& };:

@ 2012-04-24 17:48       ` Ezequiel García
From: Ezequiel García @ 2012-04-24 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Johann,

2012/4/24 MERCADIER Johann <johann.mercadier@imerir.com>:
> Hi Arnout & Ezequiel,
> ??and thanks for your reply.
> ??I wanted to be sure to do the right think. I will commit this patch before
> the end of this week.

Just a few advises:
1. Don't forget to run ./script/checkpatch.pl and
./script/get_maintainers.pl to your patch before submit.
The latter will tell you who should you send the patch to.
2. Kernel is divided in subsystems, and you should base your patches
in a specific git tree,
according to the subsystem you'll be patching.
3. Try to avoid top posting in the future, kernel devs don't like it.
4. Don't get discouraged if you get NACKS at first.

Good luck ;)
Ezequiel.