* XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-05 18:36 Donatas Abraitis
From: Donatas Abraitis @ 2017-07-05 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xdp-newbies

Hi folks!

I see some isolated examples about XDP, but cannot find any good
tutorial in one place starting from theory to practical examples. Who
can recommend something as a starting point?

I would like to try Generic XDP or so.

--
Donatas

* Re: XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-05 19:00 ` Jean-Philippe Menil
From: Jean-Philippe Menil @ 2017-07-05 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donatas Abraitis; +Cc: xdp-newbies

On 07/05/2017 08:36 PM, Donatas Abraitis wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I see some isolated examples about XDP, but cannot find any good
> tutorial in one place starting from theory to practical examples. Who
> can recommend something as a starting point?
>
> I would like to try Generic XDP or so.

Hi Donatas,

There is tons of stuff already referenced by Quentin:
https://qmonnet.github.io/whirl-offload/2016/09/01/dive-into-bpf/

It's bpf oriented, but there is a lot of links/docs in the "About XDP"
section.

Have fun.

Jean-Philippe

* Re: XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-05 19:23   ` Donatas Abraitis
From: Donatas Abraitis @ 2017-07-05 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpmenil; +Cc: xdp-newbies

Yeah, but I cannot find anything useful regarding generic XDP which is
a new feature.

--
Donatas

* Re: XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-05 19:31     ` Jean-Philippe Menil
From: Jean-Philippe Menil @ 2017-07-05 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donatas Abraitis; +Cc: xdp-newbies

On 07/05/2017 09:23 PM, Donatas Abraitis wrote:
> Yeah, but I cannot find anything useful regarding generic XDP which is
> a new feature.
>
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Jean-Philippe Menil <jpmenil@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2017 08:36 PM, Donatas Abraitis wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> I see some isolated examples about XDP, but cannot find any good
>>> tutorial in one place starting from theory to practical examples. Who
>>> can recommend something as a starting point?
>>>
>>> I would like to try Generic XDP or so.
>>>

>> Hi Donatas,
>>
>> There is tons of stuff already referenced by Quentin:
>> https://qmonnet.github.io/whirl-offload/2016/09/01/dive-into-bpf/
>>
>> It's bpf oriented, but there is a lot of links/docs in the "About XDP"
>> section.
>>
>> Have fun.
>>
>> Jean-Philippe

Hi,

Take a look to the blogspot from Jesper:
http://prototype-kernel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/blogposts/xdp25_eval_generic_xdp_tx.html

Regards.

Jean-Philippe

* Re: XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-06  6:00       ` Rami Rosen
From: Rami Rosen @ 2017-07-06  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpmenil; +Cc: Donatas Abraitis, xdp-newbies

Hi, Donatas,

Also here you can find relevant material:

http://cilium.readthedocs.io/en/latest/bpf/

Regards,
Rami Rosen
http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen

On 5 July 2017 at 22:31, Jean-Philippe Menil <jpmenil@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2017 09:23 PM, Donatas Abraitis wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, but I cannot find anything useful regarding generic XDP which is
>> a new feature.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Jean-Philippe Menil <jpmenil@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Hi Donatas,
>>>
>>> There is tons of stuff already referenced by Quentin:
>>> https://qmonnet.github.io/whirl-offload/2016/09/01/dive-into-bpf/
>>>
>>> It's bpf oriented, but there is a lot of links/docs in the "About XDP"
>>> section.
>>>
>>> Have fun.
>>>
>>> Jean-Philippe
>>

> Hi,
>
> Take a look to the blogspot from Jesper:
> http://prototype-kernel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/blogposts/xdp25_eval_generic_xdp_tx.html
>
> Regards.
>
> Jean-Philippe

* Re: XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-06  8:36       ` Jesper Dangaard Brouer
From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer @ 2017-07-06  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Philippe Menil; +Cc: Donatas Abraitis, xdp-newbies, brouer

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 21:31:32 +0200 Jean-Philippe Menil <jpmenil@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/2017 09:23 PM, Donatas Abraitis wrote:
> > Yeah, but I cannot find anything useful regarding generic XDP which is
> > a new feature.

> >> Hi Donatas,
> >>
> >> There is tons of stuff already referenced by Quentin:
> >> https://qmonnet.github.io/whirl-offload/2016/09/01/dive-into-bpf/
> >>
> >> It's bpf oriented, but there is a lot of links/docs in the "About XDP"
> >> section.
> >>

> Hi,
>
> Take a look to the blogspot from Jesper:
> http://prototype-kernel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/blogposts/xdp25_eval_generic_xdp_tx.html

Thanks for mentioning this document.

There is a general introduction to XDP here:
 https://prototype-kernel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/networking/XDP/introduction.html

I'm developing some practical examples to get people started using
XDP and eBPF.  I've made an effort to detect common errors and tool
chain setup issues, and give error messages with elaborate hints.

They are placed in my github repo:
 https://github.com/netoptimizer/prototype-kernel
 https://github.com/netoptimizer/prototype-kernel/tree/master/kernel/samples/bpf

The generic XDP feature can be activated with cmdline option
"--skb-mode" in (most of) my examples.

The blacklist example were used in a tutorial session at NetDevConf 2.1:
 http://netdevconf.org/2.1/session.html?gospodarek
 Slides: http://netdevconf.org/2.1/slides/apr7/gospodarek-Netdev2.1-XDP-for-the-Rest-of-Us_Final.pdf
 Video: https://youtu.be/iBkR4gvjxtE?t=2m1s

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer

* Re: XDP for very newbies
@ 2017-07-07  6:57         ` Donatas Abraitis
From: Donatas Abraitis @ 2017-07-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Dangaard Brouer; +Cc: Jean-Philippe Menil, xdp-newbies

Awesome, I see better direction right now ;-)

--
Donatas