* system lock down in middle of build
@ 2018-03-19 20:35 Rajath C S
From: Rajath C S @ 2018-03-19 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

so i am workin gon yocto development on my PC as well as on my laptop.
I have also worked on it on others systems, but the strange thing is only
on my PC & laptop the systems gets logged out automatically in the midst of
target build.
Is this a bug?

PS: both my PC & laptop are of high-end configurations

Thanks

* Re: system lock down in middle of build
@ 2018-03-19 20:53 ` Joshua Watt
From: Joshua Watt @ 2018-03-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajath C S, openembedded-core

On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 02:05 +0530, Rajath C S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so i am workin gon yocto development on my PC as well as on my
> laptop.
> I have also worked on it on others systems, but the strange thing is
> only on my PC & laptop the systems gets logged out automatically in
> the midst of target build.
> Is this a bug?
>
> PS: both my PC & laptop are of high-end configurations

Are you using a virtual machine? I've had this same behavior happen
with VirtualBox before.

@ 2018-03-19 22:38 ` Burton, Ross
       [not found]   ` <CAPGMVzEny6KGpsdduj3WUxOW9odJhev86g2p3H0K4p=a3ooDfQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-03-19 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajath C S; +Cc: OE-core

Depends on whether it's literally logging out, or rebooting.  Neither of
which would be caused by Yocto directly.

If it is logging out then that is most likely the kernels out-of-memory
handler killing your entire X session to get some memory back.  Turn down
the parallelisation options, or buy more RAM.

If it is rebooting then this is normally overheating or bad memory, both of
which are hardware problems triggered by a Yocto build being more
power-hungry and sustained than just browsing the web or using a word
processor.

Ross

@ 2018-03-20  4:31   ` Andre McCurdy
       [not found]   ` <CAPGMVzEny6KGpsdduj3WUxOW9odJhev86g2p3H0K4p=a3ooDfQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Andre McCurdy @ 2018-03-20  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: Rajath C S, OE-core

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com> wrote:
> On 19 March 2018 at 20:35, Rajath C S <rajathcs.1996@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> so i am workin gon yocto development on my PC as well as on my laptop.
>> I have also worked on it on others systems, but the strange thing is only
>> on my PC & laptop the systems gets logged out automatically in the midst of
>> target build.
>> Is this a bug?
>>
>> PS: both my PC & laptop are of high-end configurations

Sounds like it could be related to the issues discussed in this thread:

  http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2016-December/thread.html#130610

Unfortunately that thread ended without any real conclusion but there
are some suggestions on how to debug - e.g. try to determine which
recipe / task is running at the time the session gets logged out.

* Re: [OE-core] [oe-core] system lock down in middle of build
       [not found]   ` <CAPGMVzEny6KGpsdduj3WUxOW9odJhev86g2p3H0K4p=a3ooDfQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-03-20 10:55     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2018-03-20 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)