* MCTP protocol support in OpenBMC?
@ 2017-03-30 22:09 David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2017-03-30 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hello folks,

Does OpenBMC currently have any support for MCTP protocol layer,
or is there a plan to deliver something like this in the future?  I'd be
very interested to hear about any future plans related to MCTP stack.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

David Thompson
Sr. Staff Engineer, System SW
Mellanox Technologies
1900 West Park Drive, Suite 290
Westborough MA USA 01581
Direct: 508-983-6439

* Re: MCTP protocol support in OpenBMC?
@ 2017-03-30 23:04 ` Rick Altherr
From: Rick Altherr @ 2017-03-30 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

I know the Aspeed parts have hardware to support MCTP. Neither mainline
Linux or OpenBMC have drivers for that hardware yet. I'm interested in what
can be done with MCTP but I'm not aware of any plans from IBM or Google to
implement support. That said, if you'd like to work on a device driver,
I'll gladly review patches and assist with upstreaming.

Rick

@ 2018-11-14 13:59 ` Jeremy Kerr
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2018-11-14 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Thompson, openbmc

Hi David and Rick,

> Does OpenBMC currently have any support for MCTP protocol layer,
> or is there a plan to deliver something like this in the future?  I’d be
> very interested to hear about any future plans related to MCTP stack.

Us too! I'm interested in looking at MCTP, and am in the middle of doing
a little prototyping with our host firmware stack.

I'd also like to avoid duplicating work though, have you (or others)
made progress on this since this initial email? I know there was a
presentation on MCTP at the recent hackathon, but I'm not sure if any
solid plans came from that.

If not, I'd be happy to sketch out an architecture for this...

Cheers,

Jeremy

* RE: MCTP protocol support in OpenBMC?
@ 2018-11-14 16:13   ` Supreeth Venkatesh
From: Supreeth Venkatesh @ 2018-11-14 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr, David Thompson, openbmc; +Cc: Dong Wei

David/Jeremy,

We (@ arm) are also interested in contributing MCTP to OpenBMC.
We are in the process of getting CLA signed.
We have the same concern regarding duplicating work.
We would like to collaborate with OpenBMC folks  who are interested in this topic. (maybe form a Workgroup to discuss this).

Thanks,
Supreeth

@ 2018-11-14 19:02     ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-11-14 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supreeth Venkatesh; +Cc: Jeremy Kerr, David Thompson, openbmc, Dong Wei

Google is interested in investigating MCTP as well. I'd love to join the wg.

Emily

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:14 AM Supreeth Venkatesh <
Supreeth.Venkatesh@arm.com> wrote:

> David/Jeremy,
>
> We (@ arm) are also interested in contributing MCTP to OpenBMC.
> We are in the process of getting CLA signed.
> We have the same concern regarding duplicating work.
> We would like to collaborate with OpenBMC folks  who are interested in
> this topic. (maybe form a Workgroup to discuss this).
>
> Thanks,
> Supreeth

@ 2018-11-15  1:44     ` Jeremy Kerr
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2018-11-15  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supreeth Venkatesh, David Thompson, openbmc, Emily Shaffer; +Cc: Dong Wei

Hi all,

> We (@ arm) are also interested in contributing MCTP to OpenBMC.

OK, super!

> We would like to collaborate with OpenBMC folks  who are interested in this topic. (maybe form a Workgroup to discuss this).

Personally, I'd prefer *not* to form a workgroup at the moment; we can
discuss things here on the list, rather than separating those
conversations from the rest of the OpenBMC community. I also don't think
we need any of the formality of a workgroup at this stage.

Essentially, forming a WG just means we'd have meetings and a separate
mailing list. The former means that some attendees of the WG have to
have late nights to attend, and the latter separates the MCTP
discussions from the rest of OpenBMC.

However, we can certainly revisit this if conditions warrant it.

Let me know if you have any strong opinions one way or the other.

With that in mind, and since a few folks have expressed interest, I'll
share some of my initial sketches to this list soon. I'll be sure to
include MCTP in the subject to make things findable.

Cheers,

Jeremy

* RE: MCTP protocol support in OpenBMC?
@ 2018-11-15  3:34       ` Khetan, Sharad
From: Khetan, Sharad @ 2018-11-15  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Jeremy Kerr',
	Supreeth Venkatesh, David Thompson, openbmc, Emily Shaffer
  Cc: Dong Wei, Naidoo, Nilan

Hi Jeremy,
We are very interested. Nilan presented MCTP in the Hackathon and has been working on the MCTP architecture for Intel platforms. It will be good to work together.

Thanks,
-Sharad

@ 2018-11-15 13:34       ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2018-11-15 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr
  Cc: Supreeth.Venkatesh, dthompson, OpenBMC Maillist, emilyshaffer, Dong.Wei

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 7:44 PM Jeremy Kerr <jk@ozlabs.org> wrote:

> With that in mind, and since a few folks have expressed interest, I'll
> share some of my initial sketches to this list soon. I'll be sure to
> include MCTP in the subject to make things findable.

Please also remember that with new functions, we'd like to have
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/design-template.md
filled out at some point fairly early in the process. The gerrit review of that
is where some discussion can also occur. The mailing list for early design
points is great too.

Thanks Jeremy!

@ 2018-11-15 15:47       ` Supreeth Venkatesh
From: Supreeth Venkatesh @ 2018-11-15 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer; +Cc: Jeremy Kerr, David Thompson, openbmc, Dong Wei

Thanks Emily. Based on feedback from others, we can decide whether we should form a WG or should use alternate mechanism.

Supreeth

@ 2018-11-15 15:57       ` Supreeth Venkatesh
From: Supreeth Venkatesh @ 2018-11-15 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr, David Thompson, openbmc, Emily Shaffer; +Cc: Dong Wei

On Thu, 2018-11-15 at 09:44 +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > We (@ arm) are also interested in contributing MCTP to OpenBMC.
>
> OK, super!
>
> > We would like to collaborate with OpenBMC folks  who are interested
> > in this topic. (maybe form a Workgroup to discuss this).
>
> Personally, I'd prefer *not* to form a workgroup at the moment; we
> can
> discuss things here on the list, rather than separating those
> conversations from the rest of the OpenBMC community. I also don't
> think
> we need any of the formality of a workgroup at this stage.
No Strong opinion. Lets start with the list and if the discussion gets
unmanageable using list and we can always have this option.

> Essentially, forming a WG just means we'd have meetings and a
> separate
> mailing list. The former means that some attendees of the WG have to
> have late nights to attend, and the latter separates the MCTP
> discussions from the rest of OpenBMC.
:)

> However, we can certainly revisit this if conditions warrant it.
>
> Let me know if you have any strong opinions one way or the other.
>
> With that in mind, and since a few folks have expressed interest,
> I'll
> share some of my initial sketches to this list soon. I'll be sure to
> include MCTP in the subject to make things findable.
Thanks. Appreciate it. I will look for it and can provide feedback.

@ 2018-11-15 16:24         ` Rapkiewicz, Pawel
From: Rapkiewicz, Pawel @ 2018-11-15 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Supreeth Venkatesh, Emily Shaffer; +Cc: openbmc, Dong Wei, David Thompson

We’re interested in MCTP involvement, so please count us in for any further discussions, and WG participation.

Regards,
Pawel

Thanks Emily. Based on feedback from others, we can decide whether we should form a WG or should use alternate mechanism.

Supreeth

> Does OpenBMC currently have any support for MCTP protocol layer, or is
> there a plan to deliver something like this in the future?  I'd be
> very interested to hear about any future plans related to MCTP stack.

Us too! I'm interested in looking at MCTP, and am in the middle of doing a little prototyping with our host firmware stack.

I'd also like to avoid duplicating work though, have you (or others) made progress on this since this initial email? I know there was a presentation on MCTP at the recent hackathon, but I'm not sure if any solid plans came from that.

If not, I'd be happy to sketch out an architecture for this...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
ul. Slowackiego 173 | 80-298 Gdansk | Sad Rejonowy Gdansk Polnoc | VII Wydzial Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego - KRS 101882 | NIP 957-07-52-316 | Kapital zakladowy 200.000 PLN.

Ta wiadomosc wraz z zalacznikami jest przeznaczona dla okreslonego adresata i moze zawierac informacje poufne. W razie przypadkowego otrzymania tej wiadomosci, prosimy o powiadomienie nadawcy oraz trwale jej usuniecie; jakiekolwiek
przegladanie lub rozpowszechnianie jest zabronione.
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies; any review or distribution by
others is strictly prohibited.

* RE: MCTP protocol support in OpenBMC?
@ 2018-11-15 16:26           ` David Thompson
From: David Thompson @ 2018-11-15 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rapkiewicz, Pawel, Supreeth Venkatesh, Emily Shaffer; +Cc: openbmc, Dong Wei

Hello all,

Personally I have not worked on any MCTP protocol support for OpenBMC,
nor am I aware of any efforts to bring this support into OpenBMC.  I am
curious about the status of this support, but have nothing to offer at this time.

  *   Dave

We’re interested in MCTP involvement, so please count us in for any further discussions, and WG participation.

Regards,
Pawel

Thanks Emily. Based on feedback from others, we can decide whether we should form a WG or should use alternate mechanism.

Supreeth

> Does OpenBMC currently have any support for MCTP protocol layer, or is
> there a plan to deliver something like this in the future?  I'd be
> very interested to hear about any future plans related to MCTP stack.

Us too! I'm interested in looking at MCTP, and am in the middle of doing a little prototyping with our host firmware stack.

I'd also like to avoid duplicating work though, have you (or others) made progress on this since this initial email? I know there was a presentation on MCTP at the recent hackathon, but I'm not sure if any solid plans came from that.

If not, I'd be happy to sketch out an architecture for this...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
ul. Słowackiego 173 | 80-298 Gdańsk | Sąd Rejonowy Gdańsk Północ | VII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego - KRS 101882 | NIP 957-07-52-316 | Kapitał zakładowy 200.000 PLN.

Ta wiadomość wraz z załącznikami jest przeznaczona dla określonego adresata i może zawierać informacje poufne. W razie przypadkowego otrzymania tej wiadomości, prosimy o powiadomienie nadawcy oraz trwałe jej usunięcie; jakiekolwiek przeglądanie lub rozpowszechnianie jest zabronione.

@ 2018-11-15 16:59           ` Supreeth Venkatesh
From: Supreeth Venkatesh @ 2018-11-15 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rapkiewicz, Pawel, Emily Shaffer, Khetan, Sharad, Sharad,
	nilan.naidoo, Jeremy Kerr
  Cc: openbmc, Dong Wei, David Thompson

On Thu, 2018-11-15 at 16:24 +0000, Rapkiewicz, Pawel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We’re interested in MCTP involvement, so please count us in for any
> further discussions, and WG participation.
Thanks Pawel/Sharad/Nilan for your involvement. Anyone else interested
please chime in as well.
I guess the first step is to review initial proposal (Sketches) from
Jeremy and see if we should form a WG or discuss it over the mailing
list.