* [Xenomai] ipipe 4.14 causing kernel stuck at "Loading initial ramdisk...", failed to boot on x86
@ 2018-09-26  6:15 c ww
From: c ww @ 2018-09-26  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi All,

I wish to try use ipipe 4.14 with Xenomai 3 on x86 platform (core i7-7700)
running in Ubuntu linux. So i follow the discussion on the email thread (
https://www.mail-archive.com/xenomai@xenomai.org/msg14309.html), downloaded
the ipipe 4.14 repo, switched to henning/wip/4.14-split branch as suggested
by henning. From the xconfig, enabled the CONFIG_IPIPE option and compiled
the 4.14.58 kernel from the repo. Upon compilation completed, trying to
boot using the new compiled kernel (4.14.58+), but it always hang at very
beginning "Loading initial ramdisk....".

One thing i have verified and confirmed, when i compiled the 4.14.58
kernel *without
*CONFIG_IPIPE option enable in kernel, the kernel can be booted
successfully. But once it is enabled, then the new compiled kernel will
always hang at "Loading initial ramdisk...". So, may i know if anyone
encounter similar issue with the henning/wip/4.14-split branch and any
workaround we can put in place?

Appreciate your kind advise on this...thanks!

* Re: [Xenomai] ipipe 4.14 causing kernel stuck at "Loading initial ramdisk...", failed to boot on x86
@ 2018-09-26 10:24 ` c ww
From: c ww @ 2018-09-26 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi all,

I was able to get it through by disabling the CONFIG_MAXSMP somehow.
However, when i compiling the 4.14 kernel again from the
henning/wip/4.14-split branch, it gave bunch of errors related to fpu.  :(

@ 2018-09-26 12:21   ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-09-26 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c ww; +Cc: xenomai

Am Wed, 26 Sep 2018 18:24:50 +0800
schrieb c ww <cww230@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I was able to get it through by disabling the CONFIG_MAXSMP somehow.
> However, when i compiling the 4.14 kernel again from the
> henning/wip/4.14-split branch, it gave bunch of errors related to
> fpu.  :(

You will also need an unreleased version of xenomai, namely the "next"
branch. It contains fpu fixes needed for 4.14 x86.

Henning

@ 2018-09-26 16:01     ` c ww
From: c ww @ 2018-09-26 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: xenomai

Hi Henning,
Awesome, now the kernel compilation looks great and no more fpu errors. But
one thing i noticed, in the unreleased xenomai 'next' branch it seems the
configure file is missing. In this case, are there different method to
configure the xenomai prior to install it?

Thanks for your advice!

@ 2018-09-26 18:25       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-09-26 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c ww; +Cc: Henning Schild, xenomai

On 26.09.18 18:01, c ww wrote:
> Hi Henning,
> Awesome, now the kernel compilation looks great and no more fpu errors. But
> one thing i noticed, in the unreleased xenomai 'next' branch it seems the
> configure file is missing. In this case, are there different method to
> configure the xenomai prior to install it?

When you work against the Xenomai git tree, you need to call scripts/bootstrap
first. It will generate the files that are only part of the release tarball (we
do not version-control generated artifacts).

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] ipipe 4.14 causing kernel stuck at "Loading initial ramdisk...", failed to boot on x86
@ 2018-09-27  1:42         ` c ww
From: c ww @ 2018-09-27  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Henning Schild, xenomai

Hi Jan,

Yes, i did that but it gave an error 'autoreconf: not found'. Am i missing
something else? Or the file could be missing in the 'next' branch?

Appreciate your advise!

@ 2018-09-27  1:55           ` c ww
From: c ww @ 2018-09-27  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Henning Schild, xenomai

Hi,
Ignore this as i added autoconf package to make it work. I'll proceed and
see everything else working correctly.

Thanks!