* Current driver status
@ 2021-10-24 23:49 Amy Parker
From: Amy Parker @ 2021-10-24 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux, Miguel Ojeda

Hello,

Are there any reference drivers or other running components written in
Rust for the kernel in branch rust or rust-next? If not, is there an
outlined process for building one?

Thanks!

    - amyip

* Re: Current driver status
@ 2021-10-25  5:41 ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2021-10-25  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amy Parker, rust-for-linux, Miguel Ojeda

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 04:49:45PM -0700, Amy Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any reference drivers or other running components written in
> Rust for the kernel in branch rust or rust-next? If not, is there an
> outlined process for building one?
>
> Thanks!

Thanks for breaking silence on that topic.

Reporting my point of view:

* It is all new.
  New as in "not yet done".
* Ideas were discussed.
  Discussion ended in "It MUST be the HIGHEST quality"
* There was an existing driver ported to Rust.
  I don't know if it got added to the patch set
  or that it is only a posting somewhere on the Internet.

So it boils down that a driver written in Rust waits
on a person that didn't knew it could not be done.

My hope is on a 1991-08-25 alike message:

   I wrote some Rust driver for the fun.
   It works for me.  Find it at ....

Plus follow-up messages that improve that creation.
While ignoring the "that is NOT good enough" posts.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse

* Re: Current driver status
@ 2021-10-25 12:24 ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-10-25 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amy Parker; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Miguel Ojeda

Hi Amy,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 1:49 AM Amy Parker
<apark0006@student.cerritos.edu> wrote:

> Are there any reference drivers or other running components written in
> Rust for the kernel in branch rust or rust-next? If not, is there an
> outlined process for building one?

You may want to take a look at `samples/rust/`. We are also carrying
`drivers/android/*.rs` in tree for the moment. There are also other
resources out of tree, e.g. in PRs, LWN, etc.

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: Current driver status
@ 2021-10-26  2:47   ` Amy Parker
From: Amy Parker @ 2021-10-26  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Miguel Ojeda

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 5:24 AM Miguel Ojeda
<miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Amy,
>
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 1:49 AM Amy Parker
> <apark0006@student.cerritos.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Are there any reference drivers or other running components written in
> > Rust for the kernel in branch rust or rust-next? If not, is there an
> > outlined process for building one?
>
> You may want to take a look at `samples/rust/`. We are also carrying
> `drivers/android/*.rs` in tree for the moment. There are also other
> resources out of tree, e.g. in PRs, LWN, etc.

Alright, thanks!