* Linux Perf Tool Office Hours
@ 2022-05-01 18:11 Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2022-05-01 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hi,

We have multiple Google summer-of-code applicants this year, and we'd
like to have a forum where they can discuss their proposal, work,
problems, etc. with the wider developer community. As such we're
proposing to set up biweekly office hours. It could be that these
office hours provide useful for other discussions too. To work out the
best time and video conference tool for this I've created an anonymous
Google form:

https://forms.gle/WCN19uMjp15bNRJV6

Please help determine the best time and tool by entering what works
best for you.

Thanks!
Ian

* Re: Linux Perf Tool Office Hours
@ 2022-05-02 16:35 ` Tanusree Debnath
From: Tanusree Debnath @ 2022-05-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Rogers; +Cc: linux-perf-users

Hi,
Thanks for the email. I have taken the survey and selected the times.
Regards,
Tanu

@ 2022-05-05 16:57   ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2022-05-05 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

A reminder to help indicate a preference on office hour times and
video conference tool. So far the preferences are:
 - day of week: Thursday
 - time: 1pm GMT, 10am GMT-3, 3pm GMT+2, 6am GMT-7, 6:30pm GMT+5:30, 9pm GMT+8
 - video conference tool: Google meet

Thanks,
Ian

@ 2022-05-12 16:34     ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2022-05-12 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

I've closed the form. The results ordered from most to least popular
are (ties are together):

Preferred day of the week:
Thursday
Monday or Tuesday
Friday
Wednesday

Preferred times:
1pm GMT
2pm GMT or 3pm GMT or 4pm GMT
5pm GMT

Preferred meeting tool:
Google meet
Zoom
Jtisi

As per the GSoC timeline [1] we are requesting our student slots
today. I'm hoping the office hours are going to be more broadly useful
than just for GSoC students. 1pm GMT is 6am on the US west coast,
which may mean we need to use a 2nd choice :-)

Thanks,
Ian

[1] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

@ 2022-05-15 23:37       ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2022-05-15 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hi,

Looking forward to seeing people at our first office hours this
Thursday. 1pm GMT (6am PDT) was too early and so I picked 2pm GMT. If
you'd like to be added to the Google calendar invite let me know,
otherwise the connection details are below:

Linux Perf Tool - Office Hours
Thursday, May 19 · 7:00 – 8:00am
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/goj-quks-ydn
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 301-969-4101‬ PIN: ‪374 496 227‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/goj-quks-ydn?pin=8067739163431

Thanks,
Ian

@ 2022-05-18 16:17         ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2022-05-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Namhyung Kim

A reminder that our first "office hours" are tomorrow at 2pm GMT,
which I believe translates to these times around the world:
China: 10pm
India: 7:30pm
Europe: 4pm
UK: 3pm
US east coast: 10am
Brazil: 11am
US west coast: 7am
I expect there could be problems connecting and so I'll be logged into
the IRC (#perf on irc.oftc.net).

My expectation is we'll speak in English but we should be mindful that
this will be hard for people who don't get a lot of practice speaking
English. Don't be afraid to raise a hand if you don't understand
something. There may be someone else on the call who can help with a
translation :-)

It goes without saying but please be aware of the Linux contributor
covenant code of conduct:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/code-of-conduct.html
Arnaldo will be on the call and is the maintainer.

Agenda wise I think introductions would be nice and then we hope for
the Google Summer-of-Code applicants to speak about their projects -
what the project is, their plan and timeline. This will doubtless
solicit feedback from people who've worked on Linux's perf tool for
longer. People may have hot topics they'd like to bring up and if time
allows we can discuss these. I'd also like to discuss (if we have
time) the office hours itself, how can we make them useful, how
frequently to have them, perhaps we can get invited speakers, etc.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone,
Ian

@ 2022-05-19 13:04           ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2022-05-19 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Namhyung Kim

A reminder that this is in 1 hour.

Thanks,
Ian

@ 2023-08-31  6:33                       ` Ian Rogers
From: Ian Rogers @ 2023-08-31  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users, Anup Sharma, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo; +Cc: Namhyung Kim

It is the end of summer and the end of Google summer-of-code, as such
no office hours tomorrow. Please check out Anup's final report and
youtube video:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-perf-users/ZOrsiZA+C0zbWEQS@yoga/

Thanks,
Ian