* A blog for kernel development
@ 2022-03-05  3:25 Amit Kumar
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-05  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

Hi,
I have started this mail thread to interact with other kernel
learners. I am also running a blog for stuff related to Linux kernel
development.
https://blog.freeark1.tv
When a new post will appear on this blog I'll mail it on this thread.
Soon I'll start posting about kernel development.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

* Re: A blog for kernel development
@ 2022-03-05 13:11 ` Thomas Piekarski
From: Thomas Piekarski @ 2022-03-05 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello Amit,

thanks for letting us know about your new blog. Some time ago I also
dived into Kernel Development, but except a lot of sandboxing [1] I did
not get around to write about it.

I'll take a closer look at your blog.

What are your itch to get into Kernel Development? At what subsystem
you're going to get started? I once looked more into proc, debugfs and
statfs, two subsystems to get a more gentle start so to speak (at least
that's what I hope).

Maybe we can learn from another and strengthen our learning endeavor to
flatten the learning curve :-)

Links:

[1]: Linux Kernel Module (LKM) Sandbox,
      https://github.com/tpiekarski/lkm-sandbox

@ 2022-03-06  3:52   ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-06  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Piekarski; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 3:04 AM Thomas Piekarski
<t.piekarski@deloquencia.de> wrote:

> Hello Amit,
>

> thanks for letting us know about your new blog. Some time ago I also
> dived into Kernel Development, but except a lot of sandboxing [1] I did
> not get around to write about it.
>
> I'll take a closer look at your blog.
>
> What are your itch to get into Kernel Development? At what subsystem
I want to develop robots in the future.

@ 2022-03-10  0:30 ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-10  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

Hi,

https://blog.freeark1.tv/2022/03/a-blog-for-linux-kernel-development.html

I am thinking of sharing everything which will lead a normal
application developer to become a Linux kernel developer. This will be
just my journey journal to become a Linux kernel developer. Please,
feel free to share your views so that I can serve the purpose.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

@ 2022-03-10  2:08   ` Ozgur Kara
From: Ozgur Kara @ 2022-03-10  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar, Kernel Newbies

* Re: A blog for kernel development
@ 2022-03-10 16:19     ` Amit Kumar
       [not found]       ` <CALgyNi22V+Q7B2XLaaLJ1aaY3qSSv1iC+yfHcqENF7rczp3h6A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-10 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ozgur Kara; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

Hi,
Your mail is very inspirational.
My aspiration of becoming a Linux kernel developer is very old.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/1482241064-7504-1-git-send-email-free.amit.kumar@gmail.com/
I used to be a Java developer. Due to my personal problems, I have
been distracted for a long time from my career.
Now, I am back in my career and decided to give a try again to my
aspirations. I want to create such a blog that lead a newbie step by
step in becoming a Linux kernel developer.
So if Linux is written entirely in C and C programs everytime take
main function right, okay where is main function of kernel?
A kernel runs in a freestanding environment i.e. there is no libc
available. In other words, kernel runs on the bare metal, we use
assembly language and linker script to set up everything on our own.
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.17-rc7/source/init/main.c#L927
Last but not least, Robotics is on my radar.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

@ 2022-03-10 16:31 ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-10 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

Hi,
https://blog.freeark1.tv/2022/03/our-friend-printf.html
I've added an email subscription to my blog, so please subscribe.

@ 2022-03-10 17:12   ` Torin Carey
From: Torin Carey @ 2022-03-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

Hi Amit,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 10:01:40PM +0530, Amit Kumar wrote:
> https://blog.freeark1.tv/2022/03/our-friend-printf.html

Nice blog!  Just to let you know, there's a difference between
development on Linux and Linux kernel development.
Wikipedia has a pretty good general article on kernels:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)

We're mostly interested in the development, concepts, inner-workings and
usage of the Linux kernel.  While what happens in userspace is relevant,
we mostly concentrate on the kernel itself.

Ozgur Kara <ozgur@goosey.org> gave a really good list of topics torelating
to kernel development.  I'd also really recommend reading
https://github.com/0xAX/linux-insides/blob/master/SUMMARY.md

A pretty good place to start kernel development is by writing kernel
modules.  https://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/ is a good place to start, but
some of the stuff is a bit outdated given it's over 10 years old, but
you should be able to write some stuff with it.

Torin

@ 2022-03-11  1:15         ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-11  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rogério Valentim Feitoza da Silva, Kernel Newbies, torin

Hi,
Thank you for your replies.
I am just laying the foundation. After a couple of weeks, I will start
posing about the Linux kernel on my blog.
I am also planning to give online Linux kernel training after some
time. This might be free.
So, keep in touch.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

@ 2022-03-11  1:29           ` John A
From: John A @ 2022-03-11  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar, Rogério Valentim Feitoza da Silva,
	Kernel Newbies, torin

Where's the web address?

V/r,
John

aronetics.com
We Speak IT®

--mobile--
________________________________

@ 2022-03-11  1:36             ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-03-11  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John A; +Cc: Rogério Valentim Feitoza da Silva, torin, Kernel Newbies

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 6:59 AM John A <john@aronetics.com> wrote:

> Where's the web address?
Are you asking about my blog address?
It's https://blog.freeark1.tv

Thank you for your interest.

@ 2022-03-11  2:28     ` FMDF
From: FMDF @ 2022-03-11  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torin Carey; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022, 18:13 Torin Carey, <torin@tcarey.uk> wrote:

> Hi Amit,
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 10:01:40PM +0530, Amit Kumar wrote:
> > https://blog.freeark1.tv/2022/03/our-friend-printf.html
>
> Nice blog!  Just to let you know, there's a difference between
> development on Linux and Linux kernel development.
> Wikipedia has a pretty good general article on kernels:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(operating_system)

The above-mentioned article is about operating system's kernels. There's
another one specifically devoted to the Linux kernel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

Regards,

Fabio  M. De Francesco

@ 2022-03-11 14:21           ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2022-03-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kumar; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, Amit Kumar wrote:

> Hi,

> Thank you for your replies. I am just laying the foundation. After a
> couple of weeks, I will start posing about the Linux kernel on my
> blog. I am also planning to give online Linux kernel training after
> some time. This might be free. So, keep in touch.
>
> Regards,
> Amit Kumar

  with all due respect, you've been posting about your promises to
start learning linux kernel development and write about it for many
months now, and while you've produced nothing in terms of actual blog
content, you continue to recommend that people follow you and check
out your blog and so on.

  from back in july of last year
(https://www.spinics.net/lists/newbies/msg63239.html), you wrote:

  "Hi All,

  I am just here to inform that I am trying to learn Linux kernel
  development. If someone wants to follow me, so that he may also
  learn with me."

so it's been nine months now, and there is no indication that you have
written or learned *anything* about linux kernel programming, yet you
continue to encourage members of this list to keep visiting your blog,
and you even suggest that you might offer online linux kernel
training, despite no indication that you know the slightest thing
about it.

  it's great that someone wants to get into LKP, and that should
always be encouraged, but what you're doing seems little more than
shameless self-promotion.

rday

* Re: A blog for kernel development
@ 2022-04-24 22:02             ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2022-04-24 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

Hi,
Dear friends, I might resume my blog by May 01. Unfortunately, I'm
unable to serve the Linux community due to my involvement in several
lawsuits regarding my property in India.
I'm also planning to form a company in the Caribbean.

I wished for the success of Linux more than one and a half-decade ago.
And now I am happy to see its success.
  Happy Linux, Happy user.

Regards,
Amit Kumar