* [dm-crypt] Verify LUKS password
@ 2011-11-29 15:22 Marcos Barbosa
From: Marcos Barbosa @ 2011-11-29 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I have a problem: I need authenticate gnome-screensaver (via PAM) with LUKS
password. How i do that?

Best regards.

--
Marcos Barbosa <marcosestevesbarbosa@gmail.com>

* Re: [dm-crypt] Verify LUKS password
@ 2011-11-29 17:31 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2011-11-29 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I am not clear on what you want to do: Use the LUKS passphrase
also for the Gnome screen-locker? If so, set one of the keyslots
to the passphrase of the screen-locker.

If you actually want to remove the LUKS mapping (i.e. "close" the
LUKS container) when the screen safer engages and remap the LUKS
container when the screensaver is unlocked, then this is complicated.
It mau also not be what you want, given that unmapping the LUKS
container with open files is eiter not possible or can result in
arbitrary data corruption (I have not tried it). So you would
need to do something like this on screenlocker-engage:

1. Determine all open files in the LUKS container
2. Terminate all applications that have these files open
3. Unmount the LUKS container and verify it did unmount.
   If unmount fails, go to 1. (An application could have opened
   a file in between...) Maybe you can also do a ro remount first.
4. Unmap the LUKS container.

Now, this would need to be somehow script-driven from the
screensaver. Whether automated application clsoe is a good idea
depends very much on the situation and is generally _not_ a good
idea.

Arno

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 01:22:35PM -0200, Marcos Barbosa wrote:
> I have a problem: I need authenticate gnome-screensaver (via PAM) with LUKS
> password. How i do that?
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Marcos Barbosa <marcosestevesbarbosa@gmail.com>

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: [dm-crypt] Verify LUKS password
@ 2011-11-29 17:40   ` Yves-Alexis Perez
From: Yves-Alexis Perez @ 2011-11-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arno Wagner; +Cc: dm-crypt

On mar., 2011-11-29 at 18:31 +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:
> If you actually want to remove the LUKS mapping (i.e. "close" the
> LUKS container) when the screen safer engages and remap the LUKS
> container when the screensaver is unlocked, then this is complicated.
> It mau also not be what you want, given that unmapping the LUKS
> container with open files is eiter not possible or can result in
> arbitrary data corruption (I have not tried it). So you would
> need to do something like this on screenlocker-engage:
>
> 1. Determine all open files in the LUKS container
> 2. Terminate all applications that have these files open
> 3. Unmount the LUKS container and verify it did unmount.
>    If unmount fails, go to 1. (An application could have opened
>    a file in between...) Maybe you can also do a ro remount first.
> 4. Unmap the LUKS container.
>
> Now, this would need to be somehow script-driven from the
> screensaver. Whether automated application clsoe is a good idea
> depends very much on the situation and is generally _not_ a good
> idea.

What about luksSuspend operation?

Yves-Alexis

* Re: [dm-crypt] Verify LUKS password
@ 2011-11-29 17:42   ` Marcos Barbosa
From: Marcos Barbosa @ 2011-11-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Is more simple. Just use the same password configured on LUKS volume to
unlock gnome-screensaver. I believe make a fast test: Get the password and
try mount again the device. If no error ocurs then the password is correct.
Close the second mount point and unlock screen. If password is incorrect
then no unlock the screen. But the question is: How a make this with a
beatiful way? or use a dirty script to do that?

@ 2011-11-29 18:17     ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2011-11-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 06:40:18PM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar., 2011-11-29 at 18:31 +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:
> > If you actually want to remove the LUKS mapping (i.e. "close" the
> > LUKS container) when the screen safer engages and remap the LUKS
> > container when the screensaver is unlocked, then this is complicated.
> > It mau also not be what you want, given that unmapping the LUKS
> > container with open files is eiter not possible or can result in
> > arbitrary data corruption (I have not tried it). So you would
> > need to do something like this on screenlocker-engage:
> >
> > 1. Determine all open files in the LUKS container
> > 2. Terminate all applications that have these files open
> > 3. Unmount the LUKS container and verify it did unmount.
> >    If unmount fails, go to 1. (An application could have opened
> >    a file in between...) Maybe you can also do a ro remount first.
> > 4. Unmap the LUKS container.
> >
> > Now, this would need to be somehow script-driven from the
> > screensaver. Whether automated application clsoe is a good idea
> > depends very much on the situation and is generally _not_ a good
> > idea.
> >

> What about luksSuspend operation?

Well, maybe. If _all_ used applications can deal with
I/O calls to take forever.

Arno
--

@ 2011-11-29 18:33       ` Marcos Barbosa