* [U-Boot] [Exynos 5250 Query] Smp Boot
@ 2013-09-16  9:22 MJ embd
From: MJ embd @ 2013-09-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I was trying to understand the booting (till linux) on samsung exynos
5250. As this is my first on ARM Cortex. I have a few questions, so
following is a step by step understanding and [Q] mentions the
question I am asking

[1] At POR (Power on Reset) the Internal Boot rom code executes, and
checks the boot location and if it finds sd card, it copies 14k from
the sd card (which is u-boot-spl.bin) into iRAM.
[2] the internal boot rom branches pc to the entry point of spl at
__start (0x2023400)
[3] First instruction at __start is b reset.
[4] this takes the route reset | cpu_init_crit | low_level_init | first_cpu

[Q 1] At this point what is the state of secondary core, is it held in reset ?
As per  document, ""
"the secondary CPUs (CPU1, CPU2, and CPU3) execute a WFI instruction,
which is actually a loop that checks the value of SYS_FLAGS register."

I couldnt find the SYS_FLAGS register in Cortex A15 manual, can some one point.

[Q 2] The secondary core until the point the boot core calls
smp_kick_secondary is just waiting in WFI.
[5] the smp_kick_secondary does the following
 (a) at the address SYSFLAGS_ADDR (0x2020000) which is not in spl but
above it, it write the b reset instruction and
(b) Issues a SGI to the secondary core

[Q 3] Does this mean that secondary core is listening at address
0x2020000, I couldnt find that in any document?

[6] Supposedly it does and it starts executing the reset function,
secondary core would end up in enter_smp_pen.
[Q 4] I dont understand what  is trying to achieve here, Can some one explain.

I am planning to pen down the complete boot sequence, all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
mj

* [U-Boot] [Exynos 5250 Query] Smp Boot
@ 2013-09-17  2:25 ` MJ embd
From: MJ embd @ 2013-09-17  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Reminder, Please can anyone respond

--
-mj

* [U-Boot] [Exynos 5250 Query] Smp Boot
@ 2013-09-17  5:02   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2013-09-17  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

You could try to cc whoever wrote the code. You can use git blame to find
out.

But it sounds like you are on the right track. I may be able to help, will
email tomorrow if so.

Regards,
Simon

@ 2013-09-18  6:41     ` MJ embd
From: MJ embd @ 2013-09-18  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Simon/All,

Any comments

On 9/17/13, Simon Glass <sjg@chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You could try to cc whoever wrote the code. You can use git blame to find
> out.
>
> But it sounds like you are on the right track. I may be able to help, will
> email tomorrow if so.
>
> Regards,
> Simon
>  On Sep 16, 2013 8:26 PM, "MJ embd" <mj.embd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Reminder, Please can anyone respond
>>
>> On 9/16/13, MJ embd <mj.embd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I was trying to understand the booting (till linux) on samsung exynos
>> > 5250. As this is my first on ARM Cortex. I have a few questions, so
>> > following is a step by step understanding and [Q] mentions the
>> > question I am asking
>> >
>> > [1] At POR (Power on Reset) the Internal Boot rom code executes, and
>> > checks the boot location and if it finds sd card, it copies 14k from
>> > the sd card (which is u-boot-spl.bin) into iRAM.
>> > [2] the internal boot rom branches pc to the entry point of spl at
>> > __start (0x2023400)
>> > [3] First instruction at __start is b reset.
>> > [4] this takes the route reset | cpu_init_crit | low_level_init |
>> first_cpu
>> >
>> > [Q 1] At this point what is the state of secondary core, is it held in
>> reset
>> > ?
>> > As per  document, ""
>> > "the secondary CPUs (CPU1, CPU2, and CPU3) execute a WFI instruction,
>> > which is actually a loop that checks the value of SYS_FLAGS register."
>> >
>> > I couldnt find the SYS_FLAGS register in Cortex A15 manual, can some
>> > one
>> > point.
>> >
>> > [Q 2] The secondary core until the point the boot core calls
>> > smp_kick_secondary is just waiting in WFI.
>> > [5] the smp_kick_secondary does the following
>> >  (a) at the address SYSFLAGS_ADDR (0x2020000) which is not in spl but
>> > above it, it write the b reset instruction and
>> > (b) Issues a SGI to the secondary core
>> >
>> > [Q 3] Does this mean that secondary core is listening at address
>> > 0x2020000, I couldnt find that in any document?
>> >
>> > [6] Supposedly it does and it starts executing the reset function,
>> > secondary core would end up in enter_smp_pen.
>> > [Q 4] I dont understand what  is trying to achieve here, Can some one
>> > explain.
>> >

>> > I am planning to pen down the complete boot sequence, all help
>> appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > mj
>> >

>> --
>> -mj

-mj

* [U-Boot] [Exynos 5250 Query] Smp Boot
@ 2013-09-18 17:51       ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2013-09-18 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi  MJ,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM, MJ embd <mj.embd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon/All,
>
> Any comments
>
> On 9/17/13, Simon Glass <sjg@chromium.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You could try to cc whoever wrote the code. You can use git blame to find
>> out.
>>
>> But it sounds like you are on the right track. I may be able to help, will
>> email tomorrow if so.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simon
>>  On Sep 16, 2013 8:26 PM, "MJ embd" <mj.embd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Reminder, Please can anyone respond

>>> first_cpu

>>> reset

I think the secondary core is powered down or in reset.

Which document are you referring to here?

This is probably a flag in the IRAM, rather than an A15 register.

I don't see smp_kick_secondary() in U-Boot. Where is that?

That's your answer on SYS_FLAGS I guess.

That is the start of IRAM so it is quite likely that the secondary
core is sitting in a loop waiting for the value to change.

>>> appreciated.

I'm missing the code you are referring to perhaps, but I think the
idea is something like this:

1. Boot primary core
2. Primary code sets up a 'pen' for the secondary cores in IRAM,
starts them up to run in that pen
3. Secondary cores watch a value in IRAM which tells them when to
leave their pen and where to jump to

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] [Exynos 5250 Query] Smp Boot
@ 2013-09-19  3:01         ` MJ embd
From: MJ embd @ 2013-09-19  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Thanks for replying Simon. Comments inline

[MJ] http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linux-arm.org%2Fpub%2FLinuxPlatform%2FRealViewLink%2FBooting_ARM_Linux_SMP_on_MPCore.doc&ei=62c6Uv6XK4eFrAe1goHQDA&usg=AFQjCNG3zOT9-LZ52Ps1oKOKAME7OJveeg&sig2=DfPKT7G0eWT_8Tcbwjj2pw

> This is probably a flag in the IRAM, rather than an A15 register.

> I don't see smp_kick_secondary() in U-Boot. Where is that?

[MJ] I am referring to the patch
https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/ronynandy/u-boot-arndale.git;a=commit;h=affeaad51746944e8c356091b12ff9c9c6183c4a

> That's your answer on SYS_FLAGS I guess.
>
> That is the start of IRAM so it is quite likely that the secondary
> core is sitting in a loop waiting for the value to change.

> I'm missing the code you are referring to perhaps, but I think the
> idea is something like this:
>
> 1. Boot primary core
> 2. Primary code sets up a 'pen' for the secondary cores in IRAM,
> starts them up to run in that pen
> 3. Secondary cores watch a value in IRAM which tells them when to
> leave their pen and where to jump to

[MJ] what is actually a SMP "pen"

[Q5] There is one more doubt on the .word irq handler in uboot spl. As
per the code here

 "https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/ronynandy/u-boot-arndale.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/cpu/armv7/start.S;h=7df97c5a3a663a88c01e68ffcfb7b91e4bbcc6b8;hb=affeaad51746944e8c356091b12ff9c9c6183c4a"

 If my secondary core gets an interrupt in WFE state or before that It
would IMO would get multiple prefetch aborts.  This thing is adding to
my confusion (in the absence of any document, which i am not able to
find as of now)

--
-mj

* [U-Boot] [Exynos 5250 Query] Smp Boot
@ 2013-09-19  3:22           ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2013-09-19  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi MJ,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM, MJ embd <mj.embd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for replying Simon. Comments inline
>
> On 9/18/13, Simon Glass <sjg@chromium.org> wrote:
> > Hi  MJ,
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM, MJ embd <mj.embd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Simon/All,
> >>
> >> Any comments

> exynos

> > I think the secondary core is powered down or in reset.

> instruction,
> >
> > Which document are you referring to here?
> >
> [MJ]
> http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linux-arm.org%2Fpub%2FLinuxPlatform%2FRealViewLink%2FBooting_ARM_Linux_SMP_on_MPCore.doc&ei=62c6Uv6XK4eFrAe1goHQDA&usg=AFQjCNG3zOT9-LZ52Ps1oKOKAME7OJveeg&sig2=DfPKT7G0eWT_8Tcbwjj2pw

Is that in mainline U-Boot? In any case I don't know anything about this
code - you could try contacting the author.

> > This is probably a flag in the IRAM, rather than an A15 register.

> > I don't see smp_kick_secondary() in U-Boot. Where is that?
> >

> [MJ] I am referring to the patch
>
> https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/ronynandy/u-boot-arndale.git;a=commit;h=affeaad51746944e8c356091b12ff9c9c6183c4a

OK - again hat seems to be somewhere else. Perhaps patches have been sent
and it is not yet merged?

> but

> > That's your answer on SYS_FLAGS I guess.
> >
> > That is the start of IRAM so it is quite likely that the secondary
> > core is sitting in a loop waiting for the value to change.

> one

> > I'm missing the code you are referring to perhaps, but I think the
> > idea is something like this:
> >
> > 1. Boot primary core
> > 2. Primary code sets up a 'pen' for the secondary cores in IRAM,
> > starts them up to run in that pen
> > 3. Secondary cores watch a value in IRAM which tells them when to
> > leave their pen and where to jump to
> >

> [MJ] what is actually a SMP "pen"

It could just be a loop like:

   stay_in_pen = 1;
   while (stay_in_pen)
      ;
   set_pc(jump_value);

then the main CPU can set jump_value to the PC it wants the secondary core
to run from, and stay_in_pen to 0.

> [Q5] There is one more doubt on the .word irq handler in uboot spl. As
> per the code here
>
>  "
> https://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/ronynandy/u-boot-arndale.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/cpu/armv7/start.S;h=7df97c5a3a663a88c01e68ffcfb7b91e4bbcc6b8;hb=affeaad51746944e8c356091b12ff9c9c6183c4a
> "
>
>  If my secondary core gets an interrupt in WFE state or before that It
> would IMO would get multiple prefetch aborts.  This thing is adding to
> my confusion (in the absence of any document, which i am not able to
> find as of now)

Not sure about this sorry.

Regards,
Simon