* OSD suicide after being down/in for one day as it needs to search large amount of objects
@ 2014-08-19  6:30 Guang Yang
From: Guang Yang @ 2014-08-19  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph-devel; +Cc: david.z1003

Hi ceph-devel,
David (cc’ed) reported a bug (http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9128) which we came across in our test cluster during our failure testing, basically the way to reproduce it was to leave one OSD daemon down and in for a day, at the same time, keep giving write traffic. When the OSD daemon was started again, it hit suicide timeout and kill itself.

After some analysis (details in the bug), David found that the op thread was busy searching for missing objects and once the volume to search increase, the thread is expected to work that long time, please refer to the bug for detailed logs.

One simple fix is to let the op thread reset the suicide timeout periodically when it is doing long-time work, other fix might be to cut the work into smaller pieces?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Guang--