* Re: Cannot change hash functions or use static not random keys on E810
       [not found] <CAPYuOdx2jPwOWYPzo5z-xWQtEmNHO==pAKH63xxaOtG6JbGxdw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2022-08-05 14:00 ` Maciej Wachowski
From: Maciej Wachowski @ 2022-08-05 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I am not able to change hash function on Intel E810 card using ethtool:

RSS hash function:
    toeplitz: on
    xor: off
    crc32: off

root@my_server:~# ethtool -X ens802f0 hfunc xor
Cannot set RX flow hash configuration: Operation not supported

I also tried with newest ethtool (5.18) and newest ice driver (1.9.11)
but with no success.
Do you have any information on how to change hash func using ethtool
or if it is possible?

Best regards,

Maciej

--

-------------------------------
This document contains material that is

* Re: Cannot change hash functions or use static not random keys on E810
@ 2022-08-06  0:55   ` Jakub Kicinski
From: Jakub Kicinski @ 2022-08-06  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Wachowski; +Cc: netdev

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 16:00:43 +0200 Maciej Wachowski wrote:
> I am not able to change hash function on Intel E810 card using ethtool:
>
> RSS hash function:
>     toeplitz: on
>     xor: off
>     crc32: off
>
> root@my_server:~# ethtool -X ens802f0 hfunc xor
> Cannot set RX flow hash configuration: Operation not supported
>
> I also tried with newest ethtool (5.18) and newest ice driver (1.9.11)
> but with no success.
> Do you have any information on how to change hash func using ethtool
> or if it is possible?

ETH_RSS_HASH_XOR is usually implemented by devices doing hashing
in microcode because it requires fewer cycles. Looking at the driver
ice (E810) only supports Toeplitz which is probably the best choice
of the 3, anyway.