* Linux CIFS and Nexenta compatibility issue
@ 2013-06-07 11:15 Ketil Froyn
       [not found] ` <CAPcdcpJ4CjPDVB0SLNkouugubuif_z0JiV24QwwrQwPMFoTefQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ketil Froyn @ 2013-06-07 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,

I have a Nexenta system (based on OpenSolaris/IllumOS) running ZFS
shared with CIFS. After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, I'm unable to mount
the Nexenta CIFS shares. I've posted an Ubuntu bug report here with
details (though I'm not sure cifs-utils was the right place to report
this), including cifsFYI enabled trace of the mount operation:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cifs-utils/+bug/1185025

In the test results shown, I had specified my username and password to
mount. I have since discovered that when specifying my
username/password directly to mount, I am able to mount the shares
with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 options. However, I've used
Likewise-Open to sign my desktop into the AD domain, so that any AD
user ID can log on to Ubuntu, and then get CIFS shares automounted
with the user's credentials. I guess mount uses sec=krb5 to mount
these shares.  That still fails with the same log output. This works
fine on all the shares except Nexenta shares, and with Ubuntu 12.10
the Nexenta shares worked fine.

So there appears to be some sort of CIFS compatibility issue between
Nexenta OS 3.1.3.5 and Ubuntu 13.04. In short, all other OS-es
(Windows, Mac, other versions of Ubuntu) work with the Nexenta OS
3.1.3.5 CIFS server and all other CIFS servers in the domain, and
Ubuntu 13.04 works with all other CIFS servers in the domain, but not
the Nexenta 3.1.3.5 server. So something in the linux CIFS codebase
between Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 appears to have triggered this error.

Is there anything else I can do to find out exactly what is happening,
and whether this is linux CIFS' or Nexenta OS's fault, or a
combination?

Ubuntu 13.04 uses cifs-utils 5.5, presumably with some Ubuntu patches,
and linux kernel 3.8.0, presumably also with Ubuntu patches.

Regards, Ketil

* Re: Linux CIFS and Nexenta compatibility issue
       [not found] ` <CAPcdcpJ4CjPDVB0SLNkouugubuif_z0JiV24QwwrQwPMFoTefQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-07 17:18   ` Jeff Layton
       [not found]     ` <CAH2r5muxk49kE_f=-TduqZyD_TziUR-W_t8_T6Ou29DzAhwkrA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jeff Layton @ 2013-06-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ketil Froyn; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:15:53 +0200
Ketil Froyn <ketil-wcohQK4BhvFBDLzU/O5InQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Nexenta system (based on OpenSolaris/IllumOS) running ZFS
> shared with CIFS. After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, I'm unable to mount
> the Nexenta CIFS shares. I've posted an Ubuntu bug report here with
> details (though I'm not sure cifs-utils was the right place to report
> this), including cifsFYI enabled trace of the mount operation:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cifs-utils/+bug/1185025
>
> In the test results shown, I had specified my username and password to
> mount. I have since discovered that when specifying my
> username/password directly to mount, I am able to mount the shares
> with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 options. However, I've used
> Likewise-Open to sign my desktop into the AD domain, so that any AD
> user ID can log on to Ubuntu, and then get CIFS shares automounted
> with the user's credentials. I guess mount uses sec=krb5 to mount
> these shares.  That still fails with the same log output. This works
> fine on all the shares except Nexenta shares, and with Ubuntu 12.10
> the Nexenta shares worked fine.
>
> So there appears to be some sort of CIFS compatibility issue between
> Nexenta OS 3.1.3.5 and Ubuntu 13.04. In short, all other OS-es
> (Windows, Mac, other versions of Ubuntu) work with the Nexenta OS
> 3.1.3.5 CIFS server and all other CIFS servers in the domain, and
> Ubuntu 13.04 works with all other CIFS servers in the domain, but not
> the Nexenta 3.1.3.5 server. So something in the linux CIFS codebase
> between Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 appears to have triggered this error.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to find out exactly what is happening,
> and whether this is linux CIFS' or Nexenta OS's fault, or a
> combination?
>
> Ubuntu 13.04 uses cifs-utils 5.5, presumably with some Ubuntu patches,
> and linux kernel 3.8.0, presumably also with Ubuntu patches.
>
> Regards, Ketil

Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org>

* Fwd: Linux CIFS and Nexenta compatibility issue
       [not found]       ` <CAH2r5muxk49kE_f=-TduqZyD_TziUR-W_t8_T6Ou29DzAhwkrA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-07 17:24         ` Steve French
       [not found]           ` <CAH2r5mv87K1o-4yTdCxHLh-LPeES1K+e7-ATqeAjXRfWa14CwA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve French @ 2013-06-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:15:53 +0200
> Ketil Froyn <ketil-wcohQK4BhvFBDLzU/O5InQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Nexenta system (based on OpenSolaris/IllumOS) running ZFS
> > shared with CIFS. After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, I'm unable to mount
> > the Nexenta CIFS shares. I've posted an Ubuntu bug report here with
> > details (though I'm not sure cifs-utils was the right place to report
> > this), including cifsFYI enabled trace of the mount operation:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cifs-utils/+bug/1185025
> >
> > In the test results shown, I had specified my username and password to
> > mount. I have since discovered that when specifying my
> > username/password directly to mount, I am able to mount the shares
> > with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 options. However, I've used
> > Likewise-Open to sign my desktop into the AD domain, so that any AD
> > user ID can log on to Ubuntu, and then get CIFS shares automounted
> > with the user's credentials. I guess mount uses sec=krb5 to mount
> > these shares.  That still fails with the same log output. This works
> > fine on all the shares except Nexenta shares, and with Ubuntu 12.10
> > the Nexenta shares worked fine.
> >
> > So there appears to be some sort of CIFS compatibility issue between
> > Nexenta OS 3.1.3.5 and Ubuntu 13.04. In short, all other OS-es
> > (Windows, Mac, other versions of Ubuntu) work with the Nexenta OS
> > 3.1.3.5 CIFS server and all other CIFS servers in the domain, and
> > Ubuntu 13.04 works with all other CIFS servers in the domain, but not
> > the Nexenta 3.1.3.5 server. So something in the linux CIFS codebase
> > between Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 appears to have triggered this error.
> >
> > Is there anything else I can do to find out exactly what is happening,
> > and whether this is linux CIFS' or Nexenta OS's fault, or a
> > combination?
> >
> > Ubuntu 13.04 uses cifs-utils 5.5, presumably with some Ubuntu patches,
> > and linux kernel 3.8.0, presumably also with Ubuntu patches.
> >
> > Regards, Ketil
>
> Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
> if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
> does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
> doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?

Ketil said: "I am able to mount the shares with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2
options" so presumably is related to the lack of extended security support
and our need to build in some sort of retry logic to workaround the bugs in
the servers which require ntlmssp and the servers with bugs handling ntlmssp
- so we have to be able to try both since we have servers with both types of
bugs to workaround

Steve

Steve

@ 2013-06-07 20:02             ` Jeff Layton
       [not found]               ` <20130607160228.3e61a468-9yPaYZwiELC+kQycOl6kW4xkIHaj4LzF@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Layton @ 2013-06-07 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 12:24:44 -0500
Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:15:53 +0200
> > Ketil Froyn <ketil-wcohQK4BhvFBDLzU/O5InQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Nexenta system (based on OpenSolaris/IllumOS) running ZFS
> > > shared with CIFS. After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, I'm unable to mount
> > > the Nexenta CIFS shares. I've posted an Ubuntu bug report here with
> > > details (though I'm not sure cifs-utils was the right place to report
> > > this), including cifsFYI enabled trace of the mount operation:
> > >
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cifs-utils/+bug/1185025
> > >
> > > In the test results shown, I had specified my username and password to
> > > mount. I have since discovered that when specifying my
> > > username/password directly to mount, I am able to mount the shares
> > > with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 options. However, I've used
> > > Likewise-Open to sign my desktop into the AD domain, so that any AD
> > > user ID can log on to Ubuntu, and then get CIFS shares automounted
> > > with the user's credentials. I guess mount uses sec=krb5 to mount
> > > these shares.  That still fails with the same log output. This works
> > > fine on all the shares except Nexenta shares, and with Ubuntu 12.10
> > > the Nexenta shares worked fine.
> > >
> > > So there appears to be some sort of CIFS compatibility issue between
> > > Nexenta OS 3.1.3.5 and Ubuntu 13.04. In short, all other OS-es
> > > (Windows, Mac, other versions of Ubuntu) work with the Nexenta OS
> > > 3.1.3.5 CIFS server and all other CIFS servers in the domain, and
> > > Ubuntu 13.04 works with all other CIFS servers in the domain, but not
> > > the Nexenta 3.1.3.5 server. So something in the linux CIFS codebase
> > > between Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 appears to have triggered this error.
> > >
> > > Is there anything else I can do to find out exactly what is happening,
> > > and whether this is linux CIFS' or Nexenta OS's fault, or a
> > > combination?
> > >
> > > Ubuntu 13.04 uses cifs-utils 5.5, presumably with some Ubuntu patches,
> > > and linux kernel 3.8.0, presumably also with Ubuntu patches.
> > >
> > > Regards, Ketil
> >
> > Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
> > if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
> > does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
> > doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?
> >

> Ketil said: "I am able to mount the shares with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2
> options" so presumably is related to the lack of extended security support
> and our need to build in some sort of retry logic to workaround the bugs in
> the servers which require ntlmssp and the servers with bugs handling ntlmssp
> - so we have to be able to try both since we have servers with both types of
> bugs to workaround

Ahh, sorry...I should have read more closely.

In that case, the patchset that I proposed for 3.11 (cifs: overhaul of
auth selection code) should make this "just work" without needing any
workarounds. Last I checked, Steve had about 40% of it merged, so it's
still not clear if it will make 3.11 or not.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>

@ 2013-06-07 20:06                 ` Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2013-06-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 12:24:44 -0500
> Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> > Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
>> > if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
>> > does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
>> > doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?
>> >

>> Ketil said: "I am able to mount the shares with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2
>> options" so presumably is related to the lack of extended security support
>> and our need to build in some sort of retry logic to workaround the bugs in
>> the servers which require ntlmssp and the servers with bugs handling ntlmssp
>> - so we have to be able to try both since we have servers with both types of
>> bugs to workaround
>>

> Ahh, sorry...I should have read more closely.
>
> In that case, the patchset that I proposed for 3.11 (cifs: overhaul of
> auth selection code) should make this "just work" without needing any
> workarounds. Last I checked, Steve had about 40% of it merged, so it's
> still not clear if it will make 3.11 or not.

I have reviewed 8 of the patches in the series which are merged so it
seems likely that it would make 3.11

Steve

@ 2013-06-09 21:36         ` Ketil Froyn
       [not found]           ` <CAH2r5muExvQeX=NfhPRuupHEMi9zx-46mvzAfF4du-VWKjQ_uA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ketil Froyn @ 2013-06-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: Jeff Layton, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 7 June 2013 19:23, Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:15:53 +0200
>> Ketil Froyn <ketil-wcohQK4BhvFBDLzU/O5InQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a Nexenta system (based on OpenSolaris/IllumOS) running ZFS
>> > shared with CIFS. After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, I'm unable to mount
>> > the Nexenta CIFS shares. I've posted an Ubuntu bug report here with
>> > details (though I'm not sure cifs-utils was the right place to report
>> > this), including cifsFYI enabled trace of the mount operation:
>> >
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cifs-utils/+bug/1185025
>> >
>> > In the test results shown, I had specified my username and password to
>> > mount. I have since discovered that when specifying my
>> > username/password directly to mount, I am able to mount the shares
>> > with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 options. However, I've used
>> > Likewise-Open to sign my desktop into the AD domain, so that any AD
>> > user ID can log on to Ubuntu, and then get CIFS shares automounted
>> > with the user's credentials. I guess mount uses sec=krb5 to mount
>> > these shares.  That still fails with the same log output. This works
>> > fine on all the shares except Nexenta shares, and with Ubuntu 12.10
>> > the Nexenta shares worked fine.
>> >
>> > So there appears to be some sort of CIFS compatibility issue between
>> > Nexenta OS 3.1.3.5 and Ubuntu 13.04. In short, all other OS-es
>> > (Windows, Mac, other versions of Ubuntu) work with the Nexenta OS
>> > 3.1.3.5 CIFS server and all other CIFS servers in the domain, and
>> > Ubuntu 13.04 works with all other CIFS servers in the domain, but not
>> > the Nexenta 3.1.3.5 server. So something in the linux CIFS codebase
>> > between Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 appears to have triggered this error.
>> >
>> > Is there anything else I can do to find out exactly what is happening,
>> > and whether this is linux CIFS' or Nexenta OS's fault, or a
>> > combination?
>> >
>> > Ubuntu 13.04 uses cifs-utils 5.5, presumably with some Ubuntu patches,
>> > and linux kernel 3.8.0, presumably also with Ubuntu patches.
>> >
>> > Regards, Ketil
>>
>> Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
>> if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
>> does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
>> doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?
>>

> Ketil said: "I am able to mount the shares with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2
> options" so presumably is related to the lack of extended security support
> and our need to build in some sort of retry logic to workaround the bugs in
> the servers which require ntlmssp and the servers with bugs handling ntlmssp
> - so we have to be able to try both since we have servers with both types of
> bugs to workaround
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to understand what's going on -
does this mean that there's a bug in the nexenta cifs server that the
linux cifs client has to work, or perhaps a configuration issue? I'm
not sure what ntlmssp's role in this error is. As I understand it,
likewise-open has set up automount using kerberos tickets, so I guess
it's using sec=krb5, not sec=ntlmssp.

I'm hoping perhaps there are some configuration switches I can play
with on the linux or nexenta end to get things working without
downgrading linux cifs or waiting for a new linux cifs release.

Regards, Ketil

* Fwd: Linux CIFS and Nexenta compatibility issue
       [not found]             ` <CAH2r5muExvQeX=NfhPRuupHEMi9zx-46mvzAfF4du-VWKjQ_uA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-06-09 23:05               ` Steve French
       [not found]                 ` <CAH2r5muox1aQf10wPuB+tkAhDQV+rwUm3VQa-u3D9cq5eNCV4w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve French @ 2013-06-09 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Ketil Froyn

Some background: the default authentication method was changed for the
cifs kernel client from ntlm to ntlmv2 since ntlmv2 is considerably
more secure, but when we tested the upgrade from "raw ntlm" to "raw
ntlmv2" (ie changing from "sec=ntlm" to "sec=ntlmv2" as default - "raw
ntlmv2" means password hash is not encapsulated in NTLMSSP) we ran
into compatibility problems with one server (not Windows or Samba) so
we had to change to ntlmv2 encapsulated in ntlmssp (ie changing to
"sec=ntlmssp") but that caused compatibility problems (we think) with
a different set of servers (fortunately not Samba or Windows, nor the
other most popular NAS, which were the easiest ones for us to test
with)

So we ended up with a tough problem to deal with:
- upgrading is still needed for better security so we can't go back to
ntlm default
- at least one server breaks with raw ntlmv2 (otherwise this would
have been chosen as our default since it is so simple)
- at least one server (perhaps two) breaks with (ntlmv2 in) ntlmssp
(our current default authentication mechanism)

so we have to make changes to better detect when the target server can
support "extended security" (which can be tough since we don't know
what flags the server sends back on negotiate protocol until we
actually begin negotiating) - and perhaps improve fallback when the
server rejects ntlmssp.

Jeff's (security/auth flags) patchset may help here (which is
partially meged in cifs-2.6.git), but will probably not make any
difference if you are able to show a failure on newer cifs with
"sec=krb5" which does not fail with older cifs (specfifying
"sec=krb5")

It would be easier to tell If you check whether behavior has changed
specifying the same type of authentication on mount ie sec=krb5 on
both older and newer versions of Linux client

On Jun 9, 2013 4:36 PM, "Ketil Froyn" <ketil-wcohQK4BhvFBDLzU/O5InQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 7 June 2013 19:23, Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> >> Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
> >> if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
> >> does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
> >> doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?
> >>

> > Ketil said: "I am able to mount the shares with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2
> > options" so presumably is related to the lack of extended security support
> > and our need to build in some sort of retry logic to workaround the bugs in
> > the servers which require ntlmssp and the servers with bugs handling ntlmssp
> > - so we have to be able to try both since we have servers with both types of
> > bugs to workaround
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to understand what's going on -
> does this mean that there's a bug in the nexenta cifs server that the
> linux cifs client has to work, or perhaps a configuration issue? I'm
> not sure what ntlmssp's role in this error is. As I understand it,
> likewise-open has set up automount using kerberos tickets, so I guess
> it's using sec=krb5, not sec=ntlmssp.
>
> I'm hoping perhaps there are some configuration switches I can play
> with on the linux or nexenta end to get things working without
> downgrading linux cifs or waiting for a new linux cifs release.
>
> Regards, Ketil

Steve

@ 2013-06-10  0:55                   ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2013-06-10  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Ketil Froyn

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 18:05:41 -0500
Steve French <smfrench-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Some background: the default authentication method was changed for the
> cifs kernel client from ntlm to ntlmv2 since ntlmv2 is considerably
> more secure, but when we tested the upgrade from "raw ntlm" to "raw
> ntlmv2" (ie changing from "sec=ntlm" to "sec=ntlmv2" as default - "raw
> ntlmv2" means password hash is not encapsulated in NTLMSSP) we ran
> into compatibility problems with one server (not Windows or Samba) so
> we had to change to ntlmv2 encapsulated in ntlmssp (ie changing to
> "sec=ntlmssp") but that caused compatibility problems (we think) with
> a different set of servers (fortunately not Samba or Windows, nor the
> other most popular NAS, which were the easiest ones for us to test
> with)
>
> So we ended up with a tough problem to deal with:
> - upgrading is still needed for better security so we can't go back to
> ntlm default
> - at least one server breaks with raw ntlmv2 (otherwise this would
> have been chosen as our default since it is so simple)
> - at least one server (perhaps two) breaks with (ntlmv2 in) ntlmssp
> (our current default authentication mechanism)
>
> so we have to make changes to better detect when the target server can
> support "extended security" (which can be tough since we don't know
> what flags the server sends back on negotiate protocol until we
> actually begin negotiating) - and perhaps improve fallback when the
> server rejects ntlmssp.
>
> Jeff's (security/auth flags) patchset may help here (which is
> partially meged in cifs-2.6.git), but will probably not make any
> difference if you are able to show a failure on newer cifs with
> "sec=krb5" which does not fail with older cifs (specfifying
> "sec=krb5")

Yeah, I had assumed that the Nexenta server wasn't setting the extended
security bit in its NEGOTIATE response. I suppose it could be, but
doesn't support NTLMSSP? In any case, then you might still need a sec=
option to mount even with that patchset in place.

What might be interesting actually is a capture of one of these failed
mount attempts? That might tell us for certain...

    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS_troubleshooting#Wire_Captures

Jeff Layton <jlayton-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>