* [LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem-DAX, page-pinning, and RDMA
@ 2018-01-25  3:56 ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-25  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc
  Cc: linux-nvdimm, linux-rdma, Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, Linux MM, jgg

The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
general interface that supports pin revocation.

While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
problem at the core level.

Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).

From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-25  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lsf-pc
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm, jgg

[...]

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem-DAX, page-pinning, and RDMA
@ 2018-01-25  4:01   ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2018-01-25  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dan.j.williams, lsf-pc
  Cc: linux-nvdimm, linux-rdma, mhocko, hch, linux-mm, jgg

On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 19:56 -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
> measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
> ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
> with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
> pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
> needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
> pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
> assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
> that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
> opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
> general interface that supports pin revocation.
>
> While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
> registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
> bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
> discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
> problem at the core level.
>
> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).

Is on demand paging sufficient as a solution for your use case or do
you perhaps need something different? See also
https://www.openfabrics.org/images/eventpresos/workshops2013/2013_Workshop_Tues_0930_liss_odp.pdf

Thanks,

Bart.

From: Bart Van Assche @ 2018-01-25  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dan.j.williams-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w,
	lsf-pc-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA
  Cc: linux-nvdimm-hn68Rpc1hR1g9hUCZPvPmw,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, mhocko-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A,
	hch-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ, linux-mm-Bw31MaZKKs3YtjvyW6yDsg,
	jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

From: Bart Van Assche @ 2018-01-25  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dan.j.williams, lsf-pc
  Cc: jgg, hch, linux-mm, mhocko, linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

@ 2018-01-25  7:02     ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-25  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche
  Cc: linux-nvdimm, linux-rdma, mhocko, hch, linux-mm, jgg, lsf-pc

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Bart Van Assche <Bart.VanAssche@wdc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 19:56 -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
>> The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
>> measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
>> ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
>> with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
>> pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
>> needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
>> pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
>> assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
>> that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
>> opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
>> general interface that supports pin revocation.
>>
>> While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
>> registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
>> bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
>> discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
>> problem at the core level.
>>
>> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
>> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).
>
> Is on demand paging sufficient as a solution for your use case...

No, in 3 dimensions since there is a need to support non-ODP RDMA
hardware, hypervisors want to coordinate DMA for guests, and non-RDMA
hardware also pins memory indefinitely like V4L2. So it's bigger than
RDMA, but that will likely be the first consumer of this 'longterm
pin' mechanism.

From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-25  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche
  Cc: linux-nvdimm-hn68Rpc1hR1g9hUCZPvPmw,

From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-25  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche
  Cc: lsf-pc, jgg, hch, linux-mm, mhocko, linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:01 PM, Bart Van Assche <Bart.VanAssche@wdc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 19:56 -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
>> The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
>> measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
>> ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
>> with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
>> pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
>> needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
>> pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
>> assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
>> that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
>> opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
>> general interface that supports pin revocation.
>>
>> While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
>> registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
>> bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
>> discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
>> problem at the core level.
>>
>> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
>> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).
>
> Is on demand paging sufficient as a solution for your use case...

No, in 3 dimensions since there is a need to support non-ODP RDMA
hardware, hypervisors want to coordinate DMA for guests, and non-RDMA
hardware also pins memory indefinitely like V4L2. So it's bigger than
RDMA, but that will likely be the first consumer of this 'longterm
pin' mechanism.

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem-DAX, page-pinning, and RDMA
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2018-01-25  7:23 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-01-25  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: lsf-pc, Christoph Hellwig, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma,
	linux-nvdimm, jgg

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56:02PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).

I won't be able to make it - I'll have to do election work and
count the ballots for our city council and mayor election.

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem-DAX, page-pinning, and RDMA
@ 2018-01-25 16:08     ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Dan Williams, lsf-pc, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:23:51PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56:02PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> > Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).
>
> I won't be able to make it - I'll have to do election work and
> count the ballots for our city council and mayor election.

I also have a travel conflict for that week in April and cannot make
it.

Jason

From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Dan Williams, lsf-pc-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA,
	Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma,
	linux-nvdimm-hn68Rpc1hR1g9hUCZPvPmw

From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: Bart Van Assche, lsf-pc, hch, linux-mm, mhocko, linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:02:16PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:

> No, in 3 dimensions since there is a need to support non-ODP RDMA
> hardware, hypervisors want to coordinate DMA for guests, and non-RDMA
> hardware also pins memory indefinitely like V4L2. So it's bigger than
> RDMA, but that will likely be the first consumer of this 'longterm
> pin' mechanism.

BTW, did you look at VFIO? I think it should also have this problem
right?

Jason

From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-01-25 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: Bart Van Assche,
	lsf-pc-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA,
	hch-wEGCiKHe2LqWVfeAwA7xHQ, linux-mm-Bw31MaZKKs3YtjvyW6yDsg,
	mhocko-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

@ 2018-01-25 16:47       ` hch
From: hch @ 2018-01-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Dan Williams, Bart Van Assche, lsf-pc, hch, linux-mm, mhocko,
	linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 09:08:48AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:02:16PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > No, in 3 dimensions since there is a need to support non-ODP RDMA
> > hardware, hypervisors want to coordinate DMA for guests, and non-RDMA
> > hardware also pins memory indefinitely like V4L2. So it's bigger than
> > RDMA, but that will likely be the first consumer of this 'longterm
> > pin' mechanism.
>
> BTW, did you look at VFIO? I think it should also have this problem
> right?

VFIO seems to have the same issue.  In practice I don't think people
use file system backed pages for vfio, so it's not as urgent.

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem-DAX, page-pinning, and RDMA
@ 2018-01-25 16:47       ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-01-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Dan Williams, lsf-pc, Michal Hocko, Linux MM,
	linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 09:08:02AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:23:51PM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56:02PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> > > Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).
> >
> > I won't be able to make it - I'll have to do election work and
> > count the ballots for our city council and mayor election.
>
> I also have a travel conflict for that week in April and cannot make
> it.

Are any of you going to be in the Bay Area in February for Usenix
FAST / LinuxFAST?

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-01-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe
  Cc: linux-nvdimm-hn68Rpc1hR1g9hUCZPvPmw, linux-rdma, Michal Hocko,
	Christoph Hellwig, Linux MM,

@ 2018-01-27  2:50         ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-27  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm, Michal Hocko,
	Linux MM, lsf-pc

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 09:08:02AM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>> >
>> > I won't be able to make it - I'll have to do election work and
>> > count the ballots for our city council and mayor election.
>>
>> I also have a travel conflict for that week in April and cannot make
>> it.
>
> Are any of you going to be in the Bay Area in February for Usenix
> FAST / LinuxFAST?

I'll be around, but that said I still think it's worthwhile to have
this conversation at LSF/MM. While we have a plan for filesystem-dax
vs RDMA, there's still the open implications for the mm in other
scenarios. I see Michal has also proposed this topic.

From: Dan Williams @ 2018-01-27  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: Jason Gunthorpe, lsf-pc, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma,
	linux-nvdimm

@ 2018-01-29 23:33   ` Jerome Glisse
From: Jerome Glisse @ 2018-01-29 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: lsf-pc, Christoph Hellwig, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma,
	linux-nvdimm, jgg

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56:02PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
> measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
> ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
> with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
> pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
> needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
> pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
> assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
> that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
> opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
> general interface that supports pin revocation.
>
> While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
> registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
> bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
> discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
> problem at the core level.
>
> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).

Between i would also like to participate, in my view the burden should
be on GUP users, so if hardware is not ODP capable then you should at
least be able to kill the mapping/GUP and force the hardware to redo a
GUP if it get any more transaction on affect umem. Can non ODP hardware
do that ? Or is it out of the question ?

Cheers,
J�r�me

From: Jerome Glisse @ 2018-01-29 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: linux-nvdimm-hn68Rpc1hR1g9hUCZPvPmw, linux-rdma, Michal Hocko,
	Christoph Hellwig, Linux MM, jgg-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w,
	lsf-pc-cunTk1MwBs9QetFLy7KEm3xJsTq8ys+cHZ5vskTnxNA

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56:02PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
> measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
> ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
> with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
> pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
> needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
> pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
> assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
> that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
> opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
> general interface that supports pin revocation.
>
> While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
> registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
> bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
> discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
> problem at the core level.
>
> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).

Between i would also like to participate, in my view the burden should
be on GUP users, so if hardware is not ODP capable then you should at
least be able to kill the mapping/GUP and force the hardware to redo a
GUP if it get any more transaction on affect umem. Can non ODP hardware
do that ? Or is it out of the question ?

Cheers,
Jérôme

From: Jerome Glisse @ 2018-01-29 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: lsf-pc, Christoph Hellwig, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma,
	linux-nvdimm, jgg

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:56:02PM -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> The get_user_pages_longterm() api was recently added as a stop-gap
> measure to prevent applications from growing dependencies on the
> ability to to pin DAX-mapped filesystem blocks for RDMA indefinitely
> with no ongoing coordination with the filesystem. This 'longterm'
> pinning is also problematic for the non-DAX VMA case where the core-mm
> needs a time bounded way to revoke a pin and manipulate the physical
> pages. While existing RDMA applications have already grown the
> assumption that they can pin page-cache pages indefinitely, the fact
> that we are breaking this assumption for filesystem-dax presents an
> opportunity to deprecate the 'indefinite pin' mechanisms and move to a
> general interface that supports pin revocation.
>
> While RDMA may grow an explicit Infiniband-verb for this 'memory
> registration with lease' semantic, it seems that this problem is
> bigger than just RDMA. At LSF/MM it would be useful to have a
> discussion between fs, mm, dax, and RDMA folks about addressing this
> problem at the core level.
>
> Particular people that would be useful to have in attendance are
> Michal Hocko, Christoph Hellwig, and Jason Gunthorpe (cc'd).

Between i would also like to participate, in my view the burden should
be on GUP users, so if hardware is not ODP capable then you should at
least be able to kill the mapping/GUP and force the hardware to redo a
GUP if it get any more transaction on affect umem. Can non ODP hardware
do that ? Or is it out of the question ?

Cheers,
Jerome

@ 2018-02-01 23:27   ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2018-02-01 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Glisse
  Cc: Dan Williams, lsf-pc, Christoph Hellwig, Michal Hocko, Linux MM,
	linux-rdma, linux-nvdimm

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 06:33:25PM -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> Between i would also like to participate, in my view the burden should
> be on GUP users, so if hardware is not ODP capable then you should at
> least be able to kill the mapping/GUP and force the hardware to redo a
> GUP if it get any more transaction on affect umem. Can non ODP hardware
> do that ? Or is it out of the question ?

For RDMA we can have the HW forcibly tear down the MR, but it is
incredibly disruptive and nobody running applications would be happy
with this outcome.

Jason

* Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Filesystem-DAX, page-pinning, and RDMA
@ 2019-04-05 23:01           ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2019-04-05 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, lsf-pc, Michal Hocko, Linux MM, linux-rdma,
	linux-nvdimm

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:50 PM Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@intel.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:47 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> >> I also have a travel conflict for that week in April and cannot make
> >> it.
> >
> > Are any of you going to be in the Bay Area in February for Usenix
> > FAST / LinuxFAST?
>
> I'll be around, but that said I still think it's worthwhile to have
> this conversation at LSF/MM. While we have a plan for filesystem-dax
> vs RDMA, there's still the open implications for the mm in other
> scenarios. I see Michal has also proposed this topic.

I also didn't make the cut for LSF/MM - is there some other conference
people will be at to discuss this intersection with RDMA, prior to
plumbers?

Jason

From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2019-04-05 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams