* WPA authorization with RTL8723DS
@ 2017-04-24 20:25 Adam Casson
From: Adam Casson @ 2017-04-24 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

I'm trying to build a product around the Next Thing Co CHIP Pro
(nextthing.co/pages/chippro) and have found that the RTL8723DS wifi/BT
chip is fairly unstable, particularly when trying to implement WPA
authorization. A previous version of this SoM uses the RTL8723BS which
is similar in structure and driver, but this new 8723DS is different
enough to warrant a separate code branch from both Realtek and the
manufacturer of the SoM. However, Realtek has not publically released
a driver for the new 8723DS chip. We have received no support from the
SoM manufacturer, so we're looking for some external help so that we
can maybe salvage the considerable work we've put into developing
around this SoM.

Some additional details about how the device was being used are below.

Use hopstapd (configuration for open and WPA included) to configure
the Chip Pro as an access point. Launch hostapd (command line also
provided in logs).

Gadget buildroot git commit e550a93f2b08c771f0dd75919bb042ad86faa763

WPA version 2 (as specified in the provided hostapd config).

Client types tested:

- rtl8188eu usb dongle on Ubuntu 16.04 workstation
- 2013 Mac Book Pro running 10.12 Sierra

Same results with both (WPA auth failed). Both clients have been
tested successfully with a wide range of WPA2 access points.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Adam

* Re: WPA authorization with RTL8723DS
@ 2017-04-25  0:25 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2017-04-25  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Casson, linux-wireless

On 04/24/2017 03:25 PM, Adam Casson wrote:
> I'm trying to build a product around the Next Thing Co CHIP Pro
> (nextthing.co/pages/chippro) and have found that the RTL8723DS wifi/BT
> chip is fairly unstable, particularly when trying to implement WPA
> authorization. A previous version of this SoM uses the RTL8723BS which
> is similar in structure and driver, but this new 8723DS is different
> enough to warrant a separate code branch from both Realtek and the
> manufacturer of the SoM. However, Realtek has not publically released
> a driver for the new 8723DS chip. We have received no support from the
> SoM manufacturer, so we're looking for some external help so that we
> can maybe salvage the considerable work we've put into developing
> around this SoM.
>
> Some additional details about how the device was being used are below.
>
> Use hopstapd (configuration for open and WPA included) to configure
> the Chip Pro as an access point. Launch hostapd (command line also
> provided in logs).
>
> Gadget buildroot git commit e550a93f2b08c771f0dd75919bb042ad86faa763
>
> WPA version 2 (as specified in the provided hostapd config).
>
> Client types tested:
>
> - rtl8188eu usb dongle on Ubuntu 16.04 workstation
> - 2013 Mac Book Pro running 10.12 Sierra
>
> Same results with both (WPA auth failed). Both clients have been
> tested successfully with a wide range of WPA2 access points.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!

I was not aware that a 8723D chip had been released. If there is a PCI version
(8723DE), then there is probably not a Linux driver for it.

Certainly, the 8723D driver would differ from the one for 8723B.

I have written to my contacts at Realtek to see if I can learn what drivers are
available. I will let you know what I hear.

Larry

* Re: WPA authorization with RTL8723DS
@ 2017-04-25 13:54 Xose Vazquez Perez
From: Xose Vazquez Perez @ 2017-04-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger, Adam Casson, linux-wireless

Larry Finger wrote:

> I was not aware that a 8723D chip had been released. If there is a PCI version
> (8723DE), then there is probably not a Linux driver for it.
It's an "802.11bgn SDIO WLAN with Bluetooth 4.2 Single-Chip Controller"
http://www.realtek.com/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=59&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=378

Realtek's crappy driver: https://github.com/NextThingCo/RTL8723DS