* Build firewall with millions pps support
@ 2016-04-27  3:20 Satish Patel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Satish Patel @ 2016-04-27  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Planning to build stateless firewall which support 10GE link with
handling 2 million packet per second, need following suggestion from
folks

1. Which OS i should use?  (BSD or Linux?)
2. what type of 10GE NIC i should pick to achieve high Mpps (multiqueue etc.)
3. what should i use for bypass kernel (I heard from googling people
saying use this technique).
4. what kind of server i should pick?

We are build this firewall to stop bad traffic at front door and DDoS
(specially flooding and UDP IP Fragmentation stype)

* Re: Build firewall with millions pps support
@ 2016-04-27  6:39 ` Luigi Rizzo
       [not found] ` <CA+hQ2+ja5bRqH301R1q0ThKNno87yUHVCCc8pfvPVMFW48sDiw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Luigi Rizzo @ 2016-04-27  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Patel; +Cc: netfilter

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:20:00PM -0400, Satish Patel wrote:
> Planning to build stateless firewall which support 10GE link with
> handling 2 million packet per second, need following suggestion from
> folks
>
> 1. Which OS i should use?  (BSD or Linux?)
> 2. what type of 10GE NIC i should pick to achieve high Mpps (multiqueue etc.)
> 3. what should i use for bypass kernel (I heard from googling people
> saying use this technique).
> 4. what kind of server i should pick?
>
> We are build this firewall to stop bad traffic at front door and DDoS
> (specially flooding and UDP IP Fragmentation stype)

you may want to look at github.com/luigirizzo/netmap-ipfw ,
it is a version of FreeBSD's ipfw+dummynet which runs on top
of netmap.

This works on both Linux and FreeBSD

Re. cards in my experience the Intel cards (the old X520
based on the 85299, and the newer X710 based on the new chipset)
are both decent (I have a slight preference for the older,
which I find more performant)

cheers
luigi

* RE: Build firewall with millions pps support
@ 2016-04-27  8:11 ` André Paulsberg-Csibi (IBM Consultant)
       [not found] ` <CA+hQ2+ja5bRqH301R1q0ThKNno87yUHVCCc8pfvPVMFW48sDiw@mail.gmail.com>
From: André Paulsberg-Csibi (IBM Consultant) @ 2016-04-27  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Patel, netfilter

1. "We" us Linux , I do not see anything bad about using BSD either
2. the " Intel Corporation 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port Network Connection (rev 01)" ,
   "we" use 2 of these in each FW with LACP bonding giving 2 x 20Gbps
3. For this one I have no 100% answer , but our firewall is running full stateful mode with IPS and uses its own kernel module .
4. I guess that depends more on your logging level ,
   But "we" use Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645  @ 2.40GHz and RAID 1 setup for storing the local logs .

Our usage may be different then what yours will be ( or planned to be ),
but the FW can handle 1M pps depending on the number of "session" setups .
So if the traffic is mostly DNS ( UDP 53 ) packets it may have lower throughput

MVH André Paulsberg-Csibi

@ 2016-04-27 12:57   ` Satish Patel
From: Satish Patel @ 2016-04-27 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luigi Rizzo; +Cc: netfilter

It looks good I will sure look at it. Just curious why we need dummynet I think it use for traffic shapping right? Just trying to understand how ipfw and dummynet will boost pps?

--
Sent from my iPhone

@ 2016-04-27 13:12     ` Luigi Rizzo
From: Luigi Rizzo @ 2016-04-27 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Patel; +Cc: netfilter

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 08:57:36AM -0400, Satish Patel wrote:
> It looks good I will sure look at it. Just curious why we need dummynet I think it use for traffic shapping right? Just trying to understand how ipfw and dummynet will boost pps?

You don't need to _use_ dummynet, they just happen to come together.

If you only need to implement a firewall then your ipfw rules
will only contain pass/drop actions.

The performance boost comes from using netmap,  thus bypassing the
native network stack and -- if available -- using optimized network
drivers.

cheers
luigi

@ 2016-04-27 15:02   ` Satish Patel
       [not found]     ` <881ec44b-22db-4f37-828d-cb8c0994131d@Spark>
From: Satish Patel @ 2016-04-27 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luigi Rizzo; +Cc: netfilter

How about this Intel NIC
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/ethernet-x520-server-adapters-brief.pdf

Does it support Multi Queue?

@ 2016-04-27 15:19     ` Luigi Rizzo
       [not found]     ` <881ec44b-22db-4f37-828d-cb8c0994131d@Spark>
From: Luigi Rizzo @ 2016-04-27 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satish Patel; +Cc: netfilter

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 11:02:05AM -0400, Satish Patel wrote:
> How about this Intel NIC
> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/ethernet-x520-server-adapters-brief.pdf
>
> Does it support Multi Queue?

yes, and that's the X520 i mentioned (there are many models based on
the same chipset, i don't know the exact models).

cheers
luigi

@ 2016-04-27 15:29       ` Satish Patel
From: Satish Patel @ 2016-04-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Payam Chychi; +Cc: Luigi Rizzo, netfilter

already did lots of and more you google more you get confused.. They
are many many kind of NIC out there and everyone is slide differ from
other thats why thought lets ask experts so i can save time and money
to because i don't want to buy something buy mistake which look fancy
by description. Anyway thanks for advice :)