* Valve games for Mesa/DRI developers
@ 2015-04-09 17:10 Daniel Stone
From: Daniel Stone @ 2015-04-09 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mesa-dev, dri-devel

Hi,
At Collabora (my lovely dayjob), we've been working with Valve on
SteamOS. Valve are keen to give back to the community, and we've been
discussing ways they can help do that, including providing free access
to Valve games on Steam to Debian developers last year.

We're happy to say that this has been extended to Mesa developers as
well, to say thanks for all the great work. If you have 25 commits or
more (an arbitrary number) to Mesa[0] in the past five years, please
drop me an email (with 'Steam' in the subject) with your freedesktop
username and Steam username. We can then get you access to all past
and future Valve-produced games available on Steam[1].

Thanks for all the great work, and enjoy.

Cheers,
Daniel

[0]: Or DRI-type stuff in the kernel too.
[1]: Currently this looks like
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=#category1=998&publisher=Valve&sort_order=ASC&page=1

* Re: Valve games for Mesa/DRI developers
@ 2015-04-13 14:06 ` Thierry Reding
From: Thierry Reding @ 2015-04-13 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Stone; +Cc: mesa-dev, dri-devel

Hi Daniel,

I'm not much of a gamer myself, but I imagine that these games would be
useful, real-life tests and/or entertaining benchmarks. Given that I
work mostly on ARM systems, do you know if there are any plans on making
these games available on ARM? I know some of Valve's games have been
ported to ARM for Android, but perhaps there isn't enough of an audience
to make it beneficial to get them to run on regular Linux on ARM?

Thierry

On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:10:42PM +0100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi,
> At Collabora (my lovely dayjob), we've been working with Valve on
> SteamOS. Valve are keen to give back to the community, and we've been
> discussing ways they can help do that, including providing free access
> to Valve games on Steam to Debian developers last year.
>
> We're happy to say that this has been extended to Mesa developers as
> well, to say thanks for all the great work. If you have 25 commits or
> more (an arbitrary number) to Mesa[0] in the past five years, please
> drop me an email (with 'Steam' in the subject) with your freedesktop
> username and Steam username. We can then get you access to all past
> and future Valve-produced games available on Steam[1].
>
> Thanks for all the great work, and enjoy.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> [0]: Or DRI-type stuff in the kernel too.
> [1]: Currently this looks like
> https://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=#category1=998&publisher=Valve&sort_order=ASC&page=1

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Valve games for Mesa/DRI developers
@ 2015-04-13 14:33   ` Daniel Stone
From: Daniel Stone @ 2015-04-13 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Reding; +Cc: mesa-dev, dri-devel

Hi,

On 13 April 2015 at 15:06, Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not much of a gamer myself, but I imagine that these games would be
> useful, real-life tests and/or entertaining benchmarks. Given that I
> work mostly on ARM systems, do you know if there are any plans on making
> these games available on ARM? I know some of Valve's games have been
> ported to ARM for Android, but perhaps there isn't enough of an audience
> to make it beneficial to get them to run on regular Linux on ARM?

I don't actually know myself, but even if I did, it wouldn't really be
for me to pre-empt Valve saying so. I agree it would be nice though!

Cheers,
Daniel