* [U-Boot] MPC8347 Initial Boot problems
@ 2016-06-30 18:40 Gardner, Austin
From: Gardner, Austin @ 2016-06-30 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Still hoping for a response. I have not had any luck trying to get this up and running. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Austin

From: Simon Glass @ 2016-07-17 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 30 June 2016 at 12:40, Gardner, Austin (GE Transportation)
<austin.gardner@ge.com> wrote:
> Still hoping for a response. I have not had any luck trying to get this up and running. Any advice would be very helpful.

Do you have any debug facilities? Maybe a BDI2000? It could be a board
fault or something wrong with text base, etc.

> Thanks,
> Austin

Regards,
Simon

@ 2016-07-22  3:20     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2016-07-22  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Austin,

On 20 July 2016 at 14:21, Gardner, Austin (GE Transportation)
<austin.gardner@ge.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> I do not have any debug facilities unfortunately, and I don't think it is a board fault either. The text base you're referring to is "CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE" correct? Originally the value for this for the MPC8349EMDS board is: 0xFE000000, but the docs for our MPC8347 board says that the boot loader needs to be at location: 0xFF800000, possibly at 0xFF800100 for issues with an offset.
>
> Further research has lead me to believe that I need to use UBoot 1.1.3 due to the BSP documentation stating that it uses is 1.1.3, and I think because it was configured for it, we have to use it. I have run into many problems trying to make a binary for the 1.1.3. When I use the most recent version of the ELDK I get a binary of around 4.5GBs, and when I try and use an earlier version of the ELDK (3.1.1) I get a segmentation fault immediately when I try and configure it.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm really not sure about this. The large binary suggests that you
have code/data at 0 and at 0xfe000000, which seems wrong. So the image
is trying to bridge the gap and ends up being huge.

If you have a working image from an old U-Boot and can build it from
source, that helps a lot, since you can compare settings, etc. Sorry I
can't help more...

Regards,
Simon

@ 2016-07-22  5:25       ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2016-07-22  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Simon

In message <CAPnjgZ3w6xn7omKK0V077iGWNVr8L71ZE26rnY_6A5C0pZ1w7A@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm really not sure about this. The large binary suggests that you
> have code/data at 0 and at 0xfe000000, which seems wrong. So the image
> is trying to bridge the gap and ends up being huge.

Probaly the code / data overflows at 0xFFFFFFFF and wraps arount to
continue at 0x0 which cuses the huge image size.  We have seen this
before with somme tool chain versions and some (usually sub-optimal)
optimizer settings.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Wenn das dann in die Hose geht, nehme ich es auf meine Kappe.
                                         -- Rudi V?ller, 15. Nov 2003

* [U-Boot] MPC8347 Initial Boot problems
@ 2016-06-17 12:57 Gardner, Austin