* mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-20 13:05 Rasmus Villemoes
From: Rasmus Villemoes @ 2021-05-20 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

When doing linux kernel work, the public-inbox archives at
lore.kernel.org are really useful.

- excellent search features
- stable links of the form lore.kernel.org/<list>/<msg-id>
- nice overview of threads
- ability to, with the b4 tool, download patches or whole series by
msg-id, and logic to compare those to previous versions

With U-Boot, I often miss these features.

I don't know if the kernel.org folks would be willing to host an archive
of the u-boot mailing list, but it's not entirely unlikely - they do
host a number of lists from the wider ecosystem (e.g. coccinelle, git)
[1]. But do anybody see or have a problem with me sending a request to
helpdesk at kernel.org to have it added [2]?

Thanks,
Rasmus

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html
[2] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html

* mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-20 13:16 ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2021-05-20 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:05 PM Rasmus Villemoes
<rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When doing linux kernel work, the public-inbox archives at
> lore.kernel.org are really useful.
>
> - excellent search features
> - stable links of the form lore.kernel.org/<list>/<msg-id>
> - nice overview of threads
> - ability to, with the b4 tool, download patches or whole series by
> msg-id, and logic to compare those to previous versions
>
> With U-Boot, I often miss these features.
>
> I don't know if the kernel.org folks would be willing to host an archive
> of the u-boot mailing list, but it's not entirely unlikely - they do
> host a number of lists from the wider ecosystem (e.g. coccinelle, git)
> [1]. But do anybody see or have a problem with me sending a request to
> helpdesk at kernel.org to have it added [2]?
>
> Thanks,
> Rasmus
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html
> [2] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html

Sounds good to me.

Regards,
Bin

* mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-20 13:53   ` Pratyush Yadav
From: Pratyush Yadav @ 2021-05-20 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 20/05/21 09:16PM, Bin Meng wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:05 PM Rasmus Villemoes
> <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > When doing linux kernel work, the public-inbox archives at
> > lore.kernel.org are really useful.
> >
> > - excellent search features
> > - stable links of the form lore.kernel.org/<list>/<msg-id>
> > - nice overview of threads
> > - ability to, with the b4 tool, download patches or whole series by
> > msg-id, and logic to compare those to previous versions
> >
> > With U-Boot, I often miss these features.
> >
> > I don't know if the kernel.org folks would be willing to host an archive
> > of the u-boot mailing list, but it's not entirely unlikely - they do
> > host a number of lists from the wider ecosystem (e.g. coccinelle, git)
> > [1]. But do anybody see or have a problem with me sending a request to
> > helpdesk at kernel.org to have it added [2]?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rasmus
> >
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html
> > [2] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html
>
> Sounds good to me.

+1

I think it is worth mentioning that lore.kernel.org is based on
public-inbox [0]. If the kernel folks are not willing to host an archive
for this list, we can look into hosting a public-inbox instance on
denx.de as well.

[0] https://public-inbox.org/

Pratyush Yadav
Texas Instruments Inc.

@ 2021-05-20 13:59   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-05-20 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On Thu, 20 May 2021 at 07:16, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:05 PM Rasmus Villemoes
> <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > When doing linux kernel work, the public-inbox archives at
> > lore.kernel.org are really useful.
> >
> > - excellent search features
> > - stable links of the form lore.kernel.org/<list>/<msg-id>
> > - nice overview of threads
> > - ability to, with the b4 tool, download patches or whole series by
> > msg-id, and logic to compare those to previous versions
> >
> > With U-Boot, I often miss these features.
> >
> > I don't know if the kernel.org folks would be willing to host an archive
> > of the u-boot mailing list, but it's not entirely unlikely - they do
> > host a number of lists from the wider ecosystem (e.g. coccinelle, git)
> > [1]. But do anybody see or have a problem with me sending a request to
> > helpdesk at kernel.org to have it added [2]?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rasmus
> >
> > [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html
> > [2] https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html
>
> Sounds good to me.

Yes, good idea!

Regards,
Simon

* mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-20 15:12 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2021-05-20 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 03:05:11PM +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When doing linux kernel work, the public-inbox archives at
> lore.kernel.org are really useful.
>
> - excellent search features
> - stable links of the form lore.kernel.org/<list>/<msg-id>
> - nice overview of threads
> - ability to, with the b4 tool, download patches or whole series by
> msg-id, and logic to compare those to previous versions
>
> With U-Boot, I often miss these features.
>
> I don't know if the kernel.org folks would be willing to host an archive
> of the u-boot mailing list, but it's not entirely unlikely - they do
> host a number of lists from the wider ecosystem (e.g. coccinelle, git)
> [1]. But do anybody see or have a problem with me sending a request to
> helpdesk at kernel.org to have it added [2]?

Sounds good, thanks!

--
Tom
* Re: mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-25  7:46     ` Rasmus Villemoes
From: Rasmus Villemoes @ 2021-05-25  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pratyush Yadav, Bin Meng; +Cc: u-boot, Simon Glass, Tom Rini, Wolfgang Denk

On 20/05/2021 15.53, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> On 20/05/21 09:16PM, Bin Meng wrote:
>> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:05 PM Rasmus Villemoes
>> <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know if the kernel.org folks would be willing to host an archive
>>> of the u-boot mailing list, but it's not entirely unlikely - they do
>>> host a number of lists from the wider ecosystem (e.g. coccinelle, git)
>>> [1]. But do anybody see or have a problem with me sending a request to
>>> helpdesk@kernel.org to have it added [2]?
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>
> +1

It's alive: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/

Thanks to the folks at kernel.org for accepting this and making it
happen so quickly!

Rasmus

* Re: mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-25 17:09       ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-05-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Villemoes
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Bin Meng, u-boot, Tom Rini, Wolfgang Denk

Hi,

On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 01:46, Rasmus Villemoes
<rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:

> On 20/05/2021 15.53, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> > On 20/05/21 09:16PM, Bin Meng wrote:

> >> Sounds good to me.
> >
> > +1
> >

> It's alive: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/
>
> Thanks to the folks at kernel.org for accepting this and making it
> happen so quickly!

Indeed! Is it possible to import previous archives?

Regards,
Simon

* Re: mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-25 17:47         ` Rasmus Villemoes
From: Rasmus Villemoes @ 2021-05-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Glass; +Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Bin Meng, u-boot, Tom Rini, Wolfgang Denk

On 25/05/2021 19.09, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 01:46, Rasmus Villemoes
> <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:
>>

>> It's alive: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/
>>
>> Thanks to the folks at kernel.org for accepting this and making it
>> happen so quickly!
>
> Indeed! Is it possible to import previous archives?

They already grabbed the pipermail archives and imported them. For
example (also showing the kind of search functionality I was missing):

https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/?q=d%3A20100401..20100831

for all mails from April through August 2010.

Their wiki at https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html does say that
pipermail archives should only be used as a last resort, but their
import script seems to have done a pretty good job - and I think we can
live without those older messages including original To and Cc
information; that info will be recorded for all new messages (try
clicking the 'raw' links after a message-id header to see the difference
between what is in a newly archived message versus one imported from
mailman archive).

Rasmus

* Re: mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-25 17:49           ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-05-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Villemoes
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Bin Meng, u-boot, Tom Rini, Wolfgang Denk

On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 11:47, Rasmus Villemoes
<rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:

> On 25/05/2021 19.09, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 25 May 2021 at 01:46, Rasmus Villemoes
> > <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:
> >>

> >> It's alive: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/
> >>
> >> Thanks to the folks at kernel.org for accepting this and making it
> >> happen so quickly!
> >
> > Indeed! Is it possible to import previous archives?
>
> They already grabbed the pipermail archives and imported them. For
> example (also showing the kind of search functionality I was missing):
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/?q=d%3A20100401..20100831
>
> for all mails from April through August 2010.

Perfect!

> Their wiki at https://korg.docs.kernel.org/lore.html does say that
> pipermail archives should only be used as a last resort, but their
> import script seems to have done a pretty good job - and I think we can
> live without those older messages including original To and Cc
> information; that info will be recorded for all new messages (try
> clicking the 'raw' links after a message-id header to see the difference
> between what is in a newly archived message versus one imported from
> mailman archive).

Regards,
Simon

* Re: mirroring u-boot mailing list on lore.kernel.org
@ 2021-05-25 23:50       ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2021-05-25 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Villemoes
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, u-boot, Simon Glass, Tom Rini, Wolfgang Denk

Hi Rasmus,

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 3:46 PM Rasmus Villemoes
<rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:

> On 20/05/2021 15.53, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> > On 20/05/21 09:16PM, Bin Meng wrote:

> >> Sounds good to me.
> >
> > +1
> >

> It's alive: https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/

nits: there are 2 places on the web page saying "U-boot" that should
be "U-Boot".

Could we ask kernel.org folks to fix that?

> Thanks to the folks at kernel.org for accepting this and making it
> happen so quickly!

Regards,
Bin