* [U-Boot] Question about GPL v3 font
@ 2019-07-26  9:42 Masahiro Yamada
From: Masahiro Yamada @ 2019-07-26  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi.

According to the Kconfig entry,
drivers/video/fonts/nimbus_sans_l_regular.ttf
is licensed under GPL v3.

How the license is handled when U-Boot is compiled with
CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS=y ?

I am asking this since many companies, I guess,
have GPL-v3 allergy.

config CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS
        bool "Nimbus Sans Regular"
        depends on CONSOLE_TRUETYPE
        default y
        help
          Nimbus Sans L is a version of Nimbus Sans using Adobe font sources.
          It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
          under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
          Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Arial.
          (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
          From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
          License: GNU GPL v3
          http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* [U-Boot] Question about GPL v3 font
@ 2019-07-26 17:07 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2019-07-26 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 06:42:47PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

> Hi.
>
> According to the Kconfig entry,
> drivers/video/fonts/nimbus_sans_l_regular.ttf
> is licensed under GPL v3.
>
> How the license is handled when U-Boot is compiled with
> CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS=y ?
>
> I am asking this since many companies, I guess,
> have GPL-v3 allergy.
>

> config CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS
>         bool "Nimbus Sans Regular"
>         depends on CONSOLE_TRUETYPE
>         default y
>         help
>           Nimbus Sans L is a version of Nimbus Sans using Adobe font sources.
>           It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
>           under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
>           Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Arial.
>           (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
>           From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
>           License: GNU GPL v3
>           http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
later" with "GPLv3".

--
Tom
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 06:42:47PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > According to the Kconfig entry,
> > drivers/video/fonts/nimbus_sans_l_regular.ttf
> > is licensed under GPL v3.
> >
> > How the license is handled when U-Boot is compiled with
> > CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS=y ?
> >
> > I am asking this since many companies, I guess,
> > have GPL-v3 allergy.
> >

> > config CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS
> >         bool "Nimbus Sans Regular"
> >         depends on CONSOLE_TRUETYPE
> >         default y
> >         help
> >           Nimbus Sans L is a version of Nimbus Sans using Adobe font sources.
> >           It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
> >           under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
> >           Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Arial.
> >           (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
> >           From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> >           License: GNU GPL v3
> >           http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> later" with "GPLv3".

Yes, agreed. Can we find another similar font?

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] Question about GPL v3 font
@ 2019-08-15 17:13     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2019-08-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 03:34:20AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 at 11:07, Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 06:42:47PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > According to the Kconfig entry,
> > > drivers/video/fonts/nimbus_sans_l_regular.ttf
> > > is licensed under GPL v3.
> > >
> > > How the license is handled when U-Boot is compiled with
> > > CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS=y ?
> > >
> > > I am asking this since many companies, I guess,
> > > have GPL-v3 allergy.
> > >

> > > config CONSOLE_TRUETYPE_NIMBUS
> > >         bool "Nimbus Sans Regular"
> > >         depends on CONSOLE_TRUETYPE
> > >         default y
> > >         help
> > >           Nimbus Sans L is a version of Nimbus Sans using Adobe font sources.
> > >           It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
> > >           under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
> > >           Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Arial.
> > >           (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
> > >           From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> > >           License: GNU GPL v3
> > >           http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
> >
> > It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> > font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> > later" with "GPLv3".
>
> Yes, agreed. Can we find another similar font?

Depends on who "we" is I suppose.  Yes, I would love to see someone
submit a new font that's GPLv2 only compatible.

--
Tom
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 03:34:20AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> > > font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> > > later" with "GPLv3".
> >
> > Yes, agreed. Can we find another similar font?

Is it important to have a *similar* font?

We have 3 more fonts in drivers/video/fonts/,
so they should be functional at least.

The license incompatibility is a more fatal problem.
So, we should drop this font as soon as possible.

When _we_ find nice fonts, we can add them later.
It is desirable, but not important.

> Depends on who "we" is I suppose.  Yes, I would love to see someone
> submit a new font that's GPLv2 only compatible.
>
> --
> Tom

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

* [U-Boot] Question about GPL v3 font
@ 2019-08-19 13:22         ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2019-08-19 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 01:34:06PM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 2:13 AM Tom Rini <trini@konsulko.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 03:34:20AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Yes, agreed. Can we find another similar font?
>
> Is it important to have a *similar* font?
>
> We have 3 more fonts in drivers/video/fonts/,
> so they should be functional at least.
>
> The license incompatibility is a more fatal problem.
> So, we should drop this font as soon as possible.
>
> When _we_ find nice fonts, we can add them later.
> It is desirable, but not important.

Agreed.  Simon, do you want me to remove it, or do you want to send a
patch to remove it?  Thanks!

--
Tom
> >           It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
> >           under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
> >           Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Ari=
> al.
> >           (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
> >           From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> >           License: GNU GPL v3
> >           http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> later" with "GPLv3".

Should we not first make sure the license is really GPLv3?

At the moment the URL https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
does not work.  But there are other sources which suggest that this
font might actually be GPLv2 instead, see for example "Licensing" at
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/nimbus-sans-l

Or see https://www.1001fonts.com/nimbus-sans-l-font.html

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. "Where shall I begin,  please
your Majesty ?" he asked.
"Begin at the beginning,", the King said, very gravely,  "and  go  on
till you come to the end: then stop."                -- Lewis Carroll

* Question about GPL v3 font
@ 2020-01-12  6:45     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2020-01-12  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Wolfgang,

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 at 21:51, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:

> Dear Tom,
>
> In message <20190726170700.GQ20116@bill-the-cat> you wrote:
> >
> > >           It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
> > >           under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
> > >           Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Ari=
> > al.
> > >           (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
> > >           From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> > >           License: GNU GPL v3
> > >           http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
> >
> > It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> > font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> > later" with "GPLv3".
>
> Should we not first make sure the license is really GPLv3?
>
> At the moment the URL https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> does not work.  But there are other sources which suggest that this
> font might actually be GPLv2 instead, see for example "Licensing" at
> https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/nimbus-sans-l
>
> Or see https://www.1001fonts.com/nimbus-sans-l-font.html

Yes I see that now. I am not actually sure of the license but it is
certainly possible it could be GPLv2. Is there a way to find the
authoritative source?

I will send a patch to replace this with roboto, which seems to be
clearly licensed.

Regards,
Simon

* Question about GPL v3 font
@ 2020-01-13  8:37       ` Jonathan Gray
From: Jonathan Gray @ 2020-01-13  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 07:45:49PM +1300, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 at 21:51, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Tom,

> > > al.
> > >
> > > It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> > > font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> > > later" with "GPLv3".
> >
> > Should we not first make sure the license is really GPLv3?
> >
> > At the moment the URL https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> > does not work.  But there are other sources which suggest that this
> > font might actually be GPLv2 instead, see for example "Licensing" at
> > https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/nimbus-sans-l
> >
> > Or see https://www.1001fonts.com/nimbus-sans-l-font.html
>
> Yes I see that now. I am not actually sure of the license but it is
> certainly possible it could be GPLv2. Is there a way to find the
> authoritative source?
>
> I will send a patch to replace this with roboto, which seems to be
> clearly licensed.

Roboto is licensed under Apache 2.0

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#apache2
"Please note that this license is not compatible with GPL version 2"