* [BUG] binman does not check signature of toolchain
@ 2021-10-26 19:42 Heinrich Schuchardt
From: Heinrich Schuchardt @ 2021-10-26 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Downloading binaries and executing without checking the authenticity is
at least unwise.

When binman downloads GCC it should also download and verify the GPG
signatures.

Additionally binman could hold a list of the SHA256 hashes of all
binaries in question for a further check.

Best regards

Heinrich

* Re: [BUG] binman does not check signature of toolchain
@ 2021-10-27 14:05 ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-10-27 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Heinrich,

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 at 13:43, Heinrich Schuchardt
<heinrich.schuchardt@canonical.com> wrote:

> Downloading binaries and executing without checking the authenticity is
> at least unwise.
>
> When binman downloads GCC it should also download and verify the GPG
> signatures.
>
> Additionally binman could hold a list of the SHA256 hashes of all
> binaries in question for a further check.

Buildman? Yes that sounds like a nice feature. Did you hit a problem,
or just come up with this idea? You could try the new issue tracker!

Regards,
Simon

* Re: [BUG] buildman does not check signature of toolchain
@ 2021-10-27 14:22   ` Heinrich Schuchardt
From: Heinrich Schuchardt @ 2021-10-27 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/27/21 16:05, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Heinrich,
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 at 13:43, Heinrich Schuchardt
> <heinrich.schuchardt@canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> Downloading binaries and executing without checking the authenticity is
>> at least unwise.
>>
>> When binman downloads GCC it should also download and verify the GPG
>> signatures.
>>
>> Additionally binman could hold a list of the SHA256 hashes of all
>> binaries in question for a further check.
>
> Buildman? Yes that sounds like a nice feature. Did you hit a problem,
> or just come up with this idea? You could try the new issue tracker!

tools/buildman/toolchain.py

I have seen this script downloading binaries and executing them on my
machine without verification. This makes me feel insecure.

test/run invokes buildman.

The same is true for tools/docker/Dockerfile. As Docker does not use its
own kernel you should avoid running untrusted binaries in a container.

Best regards

Heinrich

* Re: [BUG] buildman does not check signature of toolchain
@ 2021-10-31 23:46     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-10-31 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Heinrich,

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 08:23, Heinrich Schuchardt
<heinrich.schuchardt@canonical.com> wrote:

> On 10/27/21 16:05, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Heinrich,
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Oct 2021 at 13:43, Heinrich Schuchardt
> > <heinrich.schuchardt@canonical.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Downloading binaries and executing without checking the authenticity is
> >> at least unwise.
> >>
> >> When binman downloads GCC it should also download and verify the GPG
> >> signatures.
> >>
> >> Additionally binman could hold a list of the SHA256 hashes of all
> >> binaries in question for a further check.
> >
> > Buildman? Yes that sounds like a nice feature. Did you hit a problem,
> > or just come up with this idea? You could try the new issue tracker!
>
> tools/buildman/toolchain.py
>
> I have seen this script downloading binaries and executing them on my
> machine without verification. This makes me feel insecure.

This should only happen with --fetch-arch but if you see it happening
without that, there is some kind of bug.

> test/run invokes buildman.
>
> The same is true for tools/docker/Dockerfile. As Docker does not use its
> own kernel you should avoid running untrusted binaries in a container.

OK I will leave this as an exercise for the reader.

Regards,
Simon