* [U-Boot] Raspberry Pi GPIO interacts with u-boot
@ 2015-01-29 21:03 Reza Nikoopour
From: Reza Nikoopour @ 2015-01-29 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hey guys,

I'm working on setting up an NTP server using the following:

Raspberry Pi Model B+

Raspberry PI GPS Add-on <
> http://imall.iteadstudio.com/raspberry-pi-gps-add-on.html >
> FreeBSD 10.1 (built with Crochet) <
> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd >

u-boot-pi < https://github.com/gonzoua/u-boot-pi >

I've run into a problem with u-boot.  If I boot the Pi without anything
plugged into the GPIO port it boots all the way into FreeBSD.  However,
when I try to boot with the GPS Add-on plugged into the GPIO, it does not
boot past u-boot.

When the GPS Add-on is plugged while booting the autoboot prompt shows
saying "Press any key to abort autoboot" (or something to that effect)
then the letter 'L' appears on the screen and starts moving from right to
left erasing text it comes across then moving up to the next line.  When it
reaches the top line the 'L' moves from the right side of the screen to the
left and then wraps back around to the right indefinitely.

My rpi_b.h config file can be found at <
https://gist.github.com/rnikoopour/c4cfc271b4856816ee99 >.

I thought this was an issue of the GPS Add-on input being read by the
serial console as valid input.  I tried disabling the serial console by
removing the UART console lines and adding < #define CONFIG_8xx_CONS_NONE
>.  I also tried disabling the GPIO port by commenting out the GPIO section
as well.

Would anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Reza

* [U-Boot] Raspberry Pi GPIO interacts with u-boot
@ 2015-01-30  1:24 ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2015-01-30  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Reza,

On 29 January 2015 at 14:03, Reza Nikoopour <rnikoopour@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm working on setting up an NTP server using the following:
>
> Raspberry Pi Model B+
>>
> Raspberry PI GPS Add-on <
>> http://imall.iteadstudio.com/raspberry-pi-gps-add-on.html >
>> FreeBSD 10.1 (built with Crochet) <
>> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd >
>>
> u-boot-pi < https://github.com/gonzoua/u-boot-pi >
>>

> I've run into a problem with u-boot.  If I boot the Pi without anything
> plugged into the GPIO port it boots all the way into FreeBSD.  However,
> when I try to boot with the GPS Add-on plugged into the GPIO, it does not
> boot past u-boot.
>
> When the GPS Add-on is plugged while booting the autoboot prompt shows
> saying "Press any key to abort autoboot" (or something to that effect)
> then the letter 'L' appears on the screen and starts moving from right to
> left erasing text it comes across then moving up to the next line.  When it
> reaches the top line the 'L' moves from the right side of the screen to the
> left and then wraps back around to the right indefinitely.

I think I had strange console things like this when U-Boot crashed. It
may be that there is a bug which is causing it to go into the weeds.
it could be that tstc() or getc() is causing this since it happens
while waiting for you to press a key..

I'm sorry that is not very helpful...

> My rpi_b.h config file can be found at <
> https://gist.github.com/rnikoopour/c4cfc271b4856816ee99 >.
>
> I thought this was an issue of the GPS Add-on input being read by the
> serial console as valid input.  I tried disabling the serial console by
> removing the UART console lines and adding < #define CONFIG_8xx_CONS_NONE
>>.  I also tried disabling the GPIO port by commenting out the GPIO section
> as well.
>
> Would anyone know why this is happening or how I can fix this?

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] Raspberry Pi GPIO interacts with u-boot
@ 2015-01-30  3:40   ` Reza Nikoopour
From: Reza Nikoopour @ 2015-01-30  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hey Simon,

It seems like Crochet doesn't actually build U-boot with specifying which
config to use.

I'm looking up how to build uboot using rpi_b.h

Reza

@ 2015-02-03  1:13     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2015-02-03  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Reza,

On 29 January 2015 at 20:40, Reza Nikoopour <rnikoopour@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Simon,
>
> It seems like Crochet doesn't actually build U-boot with specifying which
> config to use.
>
> I'm looking up how to build uboot using rpi_b.h

OK. Please don't top post.

The config is now called 'rpi'. Are you using the latest U-Boot?

Regards,
Simon

@ 2015-02-03  6:57       ` Stephen Warren
From: Stephen Warren @ 2015-02-03  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 02/02/2015 06:13 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> [...]

That U-Boot is quite ancient now. You should really try and use mainline
U-Boot. It even has USB support for the Pi now. It should have
everything you need to boot FreeBSD. If not, please do let me know
what's missing.