* Multiconfig and native recipes
@ 2018-12-13 15:19 Ricardo Ribalda Delgado
From: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado @ 2018-12-13 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Hi

I have a setup with 3 multiconfigs

If I try to build:
bitbake  multiconfig:*:erlang-native

Bitbake executes 3 tasks on the same workdir
tmp/work/x86_64-linux/erlang-native/

which of course crashes. Is this expected behaviour? a bug? I have a
wrong config?

Thanks!

--
Ricardo Ribalda

* Re: Multiconfig and native recipes
@ 2018-12-13 16:19 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2018-12-13 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado, openembedded-core

On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 16:19 +0100, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a setup with 3 multiconfigs
>
> If I try to build:
> bitbake  multiconfig:*:erlang-native
>
> Bitbake executes 3 tasks on the same workdir
> tmp/work/x86_64-linux/erlang-native/
>
> which of course crashes. Is this expected behaviour? a bug? I have a
> wrong config?
>
> Thanks!

You haven't said how your configurations were different.

With multiconfig you have to use it responsibly and a little caution.

It sounds like you're using the same TMPDIR for these builds but the
builds are differently configured. That wouldn't be expected to work.
The builds can only share TMPDIR if the configurations are compatible
with each other (same DISTRO type config, different MACHINE for
example).

Its hard to be specific without the configuration though.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Multiconfig and native recipes
@ 2018-12-13 16:41   ` Ricardo Ribalda Delgado
From: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado @ 2018-12-13 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: openembedded-core

Hi Richard

Thanks for your fast response
On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 16:19 +0100, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a setup with 3 multiconfigs
> >
> > If I try to build:
> > bitbake  multiconfig:*:erlang-native
> >
> > Bitbake executes 3 tasks on the same workdir
> > tmp/work/x86_64-linux/erlang-native/
> >
> > which of course crashes. Is this expected behaviour? a bug? I have a
> > wrong config?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> You haven't said how your configurations were different.
>
> With multiconfig you have to use it responsibly and a little caution.
>
> It sounds like you're using the same TMPDIR for these builds but the
> builds are differently configured. That wouldn't be expected to work.
> The builds can only share TMPDIR if the configurations are compatible
> with each other (same DISTRO type config, different MACHINE for
> example).

That is exactly my usecase. I wan to build for all the machines with
exactly the same distro:

ricardo@neopili:~/curro/yocto/europa/build$ for a in
conf/multiconfig/*; do echo $a; cat $a; done
conf/multiconfig/inteli7.conf
MACHINE = "inteli7"
conf/multiconfig/qt5022.conf
MACHINE = "qt5022"
conf/multiconfig/qt5506.conf
MACHINE = "qt5506"

I am now trying to hack bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py to convert all tasks
multiconfig:*:AAAAA-native into AAAAA-native
it might not be the final sollution, but maybe we can use it to
discuss further options.

--

@ 2018-12-13 17:10     ` richard.purdie
From: richard.purdie @ 2018-12-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Ribalda Delgado; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 17:41 +0100, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> Thanks for your fast response
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:19 PM Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 16:19 +0100, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> > You haven't said how your configurations were different.
> >
> > With multiconfig you have to use it responsibly and a little
> > caution.
> >
> > It sounds like you're using the same TMPDIR for these builds but
> > the
> > builds are differently configured. That wouldn't be expected to
> > work.
> > The builds can only share TMPDIR if the configurations are
> > compatible
> > with each other (same DISTRO type config, different MACHINE for
> > example).
> >

> That is exactly my usecase. I wan to build for all the machines with
> exactly the same distro:
>
> ricardo@neopili:~/curro/yocto/europa/build$ for a in
> conf/multiconfig/*; do echo $a; cat $a; done
> conf/multiconfig/inteli7.conf
> MACHINE = "inteli7"
> conf/multiconfig/qt5022.conf
> MACHINE = "qt5022"
> conf/multiconfig/qt5506.conf
> MACHINE = "qt5506"
>
> I am now trying to hack bitbake/lib/bb/cooker.py to convert all tasks
> multiconfig:*:AAAAA-native into AAAAA-native
> it might not be the final sollution, but maybe we can use it to
> discuss further options.

Rather than hacking this, I'd suggest you look at why it thinks it
needs to run this native target three times.

In a normal build, if you select one of the machines, "bitbake erlang-
native", then change machines and run the same command, does it
rebuild?

If so, the task hashes are different. The next thing to do would be to
run bitbake-diffsigs and find out why they're different.

There are signature tests in oe-selftest which will find similar
problems like this, assuming I'm guessing at the problem correctly.

Cheers,

Richard