* [meta-raspberrypi] Pull requests and jenkins
@ 2017-05-12 18:05 Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2017-05-12 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I know I promised long ago but finally I took a Friday to invest into
github pull requests integrated with a jenkins server.

The first PR on which I worked for this integration is
https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/67 . This PR:
- migrates Readme to markdown file - any objections about this?
- adds badges for jenkins builds and gitter room
- add info about pull requests

As well I pushed a PR from an external fork for testing -
https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/68 . This adds a log
entry in gitignore which won't hurt anyway.

Now, what I propose  is to start using pull requests as main way of
contributing and mailing list as an additional (optional) way of
advertising changes. We will keep it though for general discussions
but keep contributions and issues (bug tracking) in github.

About the jenkins server. The current setup is the following: for each
PR, jenkins triggers rpi-basic-image for rpi, rpi2 and rpi3 using the
target branch as the one on which the dependencies will be checked out
(poky, meta-oe etc). If all three builds succeed then the PR is
approved. I plan to start to add weekly builds for master and last two
branches (morty and krogoth at this point) and additional boards. But
for now I think it's a good start.

Thoughts?

--
Andrei Gherzan

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Pull requests and jenkins
@ 2017-05-12 18:34 ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2017-05-12 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know I promised long ago but finally I took a Friday to invest into
> github pull requests integrated with a jenkins server.
>
> The first PR on which I worked for this integration is
> https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/67 . This PR:
> - migrates Readme to markdown file - any objections about this?
> - adds badges for jenkins builds and gitter room
> - add info about pull requests
>
> As well I pushed a PR from an external fork for testing -
> https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/68 . This adds a log
> entry in gitignore which won't hurt anyway.
>
> Now, what I propose  is to start using pull requests as main way of
> contributing and mailing list as an additional (optional) way of
> advertising changes. We will keep it though for general discussions
> but keep contributions and issues (bug tracking) in github.
>
> About the jenkins server. The current setup is the following: for each
> PR, jenkins triggers rpi-basic-image for rpi, rpi2 and rpi3 using the
> target branch as the one on which the dependencies will be checked out
> (poky, meta-oe etc). If all three builds succeed then the PR is
> approved. I plan to start to add weekly builds for master and last two
> branches (morty and krogoth at this point) and additional boards. But
> for now I think it's a good start.
>
> Thoughts?

This looks great, cheers for setting it up!

I'm doing nightly builds of my setup but that's a bit non-standard
(custom distro, musl libc, u-boot enabled, etc). For meta-raspberrypi
itself I think you've got it right - test against the appropriate
branch of poky without changing the default configuration too much.

For the readme, I think we should split off
"docs/optional-build-configuration.md", "docs/board-configuration.md"
and maybe "docs/contributing.md" files to shorten the top-level file.
Does that sound sensible?

Paul Barker
Co-Founder & Principal Engineer
Togán Labs Ltd

* Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Pull requests and jenkins
@ 2017-05-12 20:00   ` Andrei Gherzan
From: Andrei Gherzan @ 2017-05-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Paul Barker <pbarker@toganlabs.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know I promised long ago but finally I took a Friday to invest into
>> github pull requests integrated with a jenkins server.
>>
>> The first PR on which I worked for this integration is
>> https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/67 . This PR:
>> - migrates Readme to markdown file - any objections about this?
>> - adds badges for jenkins builds and gitter room
>> - add info about pull requests
>>
>> As well I pushed a PR from an external fork for testing -
>> https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/pull/68 . This adds a log
>> entry in gitignore which won't hurt anyway.
>>
>> Now, what I propose  is to start using pull requests as main way of
>> contributing and mailing list as an additional (optional) way of
>> advertising changes. We will keep it though for general discussions
>> but keep contributions and issues (bug tracking) in github.
>>
>> About the jenkins server. The current setup is the following: for each
>> PR, jenkins triggers rpi-basic-image for rpi, rpi2 and rpi3 using the
>> target branch as the one on which the dependencies will be checked out
>> (poky, meta-oe etc). If all three builds succeed then the PR is
>> approved. I plan to start to add weekly builds for master and last two
>> branches (morty and krogoth at this point) and additional boards. But
>> for now I think it's a good start.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> This looks great, cheers for setting it up!
>
> I'm doing nightly builds of my setup but that's a bit non-standard
> (custom distro, musl libc, u-boot enabled, etc). For meta-raspberrypi
> itself I think you've got it right - test against the appropriate
> branch of poky without changing the default configuration too much.
>
> For the readme, I think we should split off
> "docs/optional-build-configuration.md", "docs/board-configuration.md"
> and maybe "docs/contributing.md" files to shorten the top-level file.
> Does that sound sensible?

We did touch this subject a little bit in private but in summary this
is a topic that I really want to address in the near future:
documentation. We start to have a pretty big readme and on the long
term that is not feasible.

--

@ 2017-05-12 20:42     ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2017-05-12 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Gherzan; +Cc: yocto

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Paul Barker <pbarker@toganlabs.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei@gherzan.ro> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I know I promised long ago but finally I took a Friday to invest into
>>> github pull requests integrated with a jenkins server.

yay!
+1

(my inbox has been going nuts today!)

>> I'm doing nightly builds of my setup but that's a bit non-standard
>> (custom distro, musl libc, u-boot enabled, etc). For meta-raspberrypi
>> itself I think you've got it right - test against the appropriate
>> branch of poky without changing the default configuration too much.

I have a couple nightly builds too for the things that interest me.

>> For the readme, I think we should split off
>> "docs/optional-build-configuration.md", "docs/board-configuration.md"
>> and maybe "docs/contributing.md" files to shorten the top-level file.
>> Does that sound sensible?
>
> We did touch this subject a little bit in private but in summary this
> is a topic that I really want to address in the near future:
> documentation. We start to have a pretty big readme and on the long
> term that is not feasible.

Maybe (just throwing this out there) the README in the layer could be
very basic (maintainers, layer dependencies, ...) and then point users
to a more elaborate documentation wiki setup on github?

https://github.com/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi/wiki