* Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-11 17:07 Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-04-11 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Ian Jackson, Keir Fraser, Jan Beulich

It seems like it has been quite a while since our last stable branch
releases.

Shall we try and get 4.0.4 and 4.1.3 out of the way before we get too
deep into the 4.2 release closedown?

Perhaps we could do a first rc of each in the next few weeks?

Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-11 18:41 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2012-04-11 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, xen-devel; +Cc: Ian Jackson, Jan Beulich

On 11/04/2012 18:07, "Ian Campbell" <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com> wrote:

> It seems like it has been quite a while since our last stable branch
> releases.
>
> Shall we try and get 4.0.4 and 4.1.3 out of the way before we get too
> deep into the 4.2 release closedown?
>
> Perhaps we could do a first rc of each in the next few weeks?

Yes, it's about time.

 -- Keir

> Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-11 18:49 ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2012-04-11 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell; +Cc: Keir (Xen.org), Ian Jackson, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Ian Campbell wrote:
> It seems like it has been quite a while since our last stable branch
> releases.
>
> Shall we try and get 4.0.4 and 4.1.3 out of the way before we get too
> deep into the 4.2 release closedown?
>
> Perhaps we could do a first rc of each in the next few weeks?

I am keen on having these three patches in 4.1.3:

http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=133251438030441

I asked Ian to backport them in a previous email.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-11 23:11   ` Wei Huang
From: Wei Huang @ 2012-04-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: Ian Jackson, Ian Campbell, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

On 04/11/2012 01:41 PM, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 18:07, "Ian Campbell"<Ian.Campbell@citrix.com>  wrote:
>
>> It seems like it has been quite a while since our last stable branch
>> releases.
>>
>> Shall we try and get 4.0.4 and 4.1.3 out of the way before we get too
>> deep into the 4.2 release closedown?
>>
>> Perhaps we could do a first rc of each in the next few weeks?
> Yes, it's about time.
Before tagging 4.1.3, may I request the following changesets backported
from xen-unstable? Will you consider them?

-Wei

==== SVM Decode Assist ====
changeset 23233:1276926e3795
changeset 23234:bf7afd48339a
changeset 23235:2c8ad607ece1
changeset 23236:e324c4d1dd6e
changeset 23237:381ab77db71a
changeset 23238:60f5df2afcbb

==== SVM TSC Scaling ====
changeset 23437:d7c755c25bb9

==== Performance Monitor Counters ====
changeset 23304:8981b582be3e
changeset 23305:014ee4e09644
changeset 23306:e787d4f2e5ac

>   -- Keir
>
>> Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-12  8:13     ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2012-04-12  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Huang; +Cc: Ian Jackson, Ian Campbell, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

On 12/04/2012 00:11, "Wei Huang" <wei.huang2@amd.com> wrote:

> On 04/11/2012 01:41 PM, Keir Fraser wrote:
>> On 11/04/2012 18:07, "Ian Campbell"<Ian.Campbell@citrix.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> It seems like it has been quite a while since our last stable branch
>>> releases.
>>>
>>> Shall we try and get 4.0.4 and 4.1.3 out of the way before we get too
>>> deep into the 4.2 release closedown?
>>>
>>> Perhaps we could do a first rc of each in the next few weeks?
>> Yes, it's about time.
> Before tagging 4.1.3, may I request the following changesets backported
> from xen-unstable? Will you consider them?

Done.

 -- Keir

> -Wei
>
> ==== SVM Decode Assist ====
> changeset 23233:1276926e3795
> changeset 23234:bf7afd48339a
> changeset 23235:2c8ad607ece1
> changeset 23236:e324c4d1dd6e
> changeset 23237:381ab77db71a
> changeset 23238:60f5df2afcbb
>
> ==== SVM TSC Scaling ====
> changeset 23437:d7c755c25bb9
>
> ==== Performance Monitor Counters ====
> changeset 23304:8981b582be3e
> changeset 23305:014ee4e09644
> changeset 23306:e787d4f2e5ac
>

>>   -- Keir
>>
>>> Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-12 10:47   ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2012-04-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini; +Cc: Keir (Xen.org), Ian Campbell, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Stable branch releases?"):
> I am keen on having these three patches in 4.1.3:
> http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=133251438030441
>
> I asked Ian to backport them in a previous email.

Right.

The first step in making a stable branch release should be to send a
message to xen-devel asking for people to resend any outstanding
backport requests, and setting a deadline for responses.

Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-12 14:59     ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-04-12 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: xen-devel, Keir (Xen.org), Jan Beulich, Stefano Stabellini

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 11:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Stable branch releases?"):
> > I am keen on having these three patches in 4.1.3:
> > http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=133251438030441
> >
> > I asked Ian to backport them in a previous email.
>
> Right.
>
> The first step in making a stable branch release should be to send a
> message to xen-devel asking for people to resend any outstanding
> backport requests, and setting a deadline for responses.

Shall we say a deadline of a week tomorrow (Friday 20th)?

Does this thread suffice as the request?

Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-12 16:04       ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2012-04-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Campbell, Ian Jackson
  Cc: xen-devel, Keir (Xen.org), Jan Beulich, Stefano Stabellini

On 12/04/2012 15:59, "Ian Campbell" <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 11:47 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Stable branch releases?"):
>>> I am keen on having these three patches in 4.1.3:
>>> http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=133251438030441
>>>
>>> I asked Ian to backport them in a previous email.
>>
>> Right.
>>
>> The first step in making a stable branch release should be to send a
>> message to xen-devel asking for people to resend any outstanding
>> backport requests, and setting a deadline for responses.
>
> Shall we say a deadline of a week tomorrow (Friday 20th)?
>
> Does this thread suffice as the request?

Make a new thread with a very explicit subject line, with [ANNOUNCE] or
similar in it.

 -- Keir

> Ian.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2012-04-12 16:30         ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-04-12 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser
  Cc: Keir (Xen.org), xen-devel, Ian Jackson, Jan Beulich, Stefano Stabellini

On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 17:04 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 15:59, "Ian Campbell" <Ian.Campbell@citrix.com> wrote:

> >> Right.
> >>
> >> The first step in making a stable branch release should be to send a
> >> message to xen-devel asking for people to resend any outstanding
> >> backport requests, and setting a deadline for responses.
> >
> > Shall we say a deadline of a week tomorrow (Friday 20th)?
> >
> > Does this thread suffice as the request?
>
> Make a new thread with a very explicit subject line, with [ANNOUNCE] or
> similar in it.

Done.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2009-03-09 15:56                 ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

Avi Kivity wrote:

> I was hoping someone (=you) would verify that it means what I think it
> means.

I'm the wrong person to ask :-/

>> In terms of actual releases, I'd really like to see a kvm-0.10.0-0
>> release based on the qemu-0.10.0 release that didn't contain any
>> kernel modules.
>
> Pretty soon I'll fork maint/2.6.30, that's a good time for forking
> kvm-userspace.git.  I could fork at the point qemu-0.10.0 was released.
>
> Unfortunately, the last qemu merge pulled in post-0.10.0 bits.  I
> guess I could back them out.  It isn't going to be pretty.

 From a stable maintenance point-of-view, having the kvm stable tree
based on stable_0_10 will make your life a lot easier since you only
have to worry about tracking kvm-specific stable fixes.

Fixing up the tree now will be painful.  You could either merge back the
older tree or revert changes in the QEMU tree until you get to
release_0_10_0.  Then merging against stable_0_10 would be pretty easy.
None of it is very bisect friendly though :-/

>> Ideally, we would move libkvm into the qemu tree and collapse the
>> tree too so it looked very much like qemu does today.
>
> I have a script that takes qemu-userspace.git and rewrites it to
> multiple repositories (one per subdirectory, basically, plus one
> top-level).  That allows us to keep the bios, testsuite, external
> module compat kit, etc.

Great.  I know you dislike it conceptually, but it's worth considering
splitting out the KVM bios changes into patches as part of the patch
queue that's in qemu SVN.  It can potentially help the distros manage
the KVM and QEMU bios builds in the same mechanism.

What do you plan to do about non-stable KVM releases?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2009-03-09 14:39               ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-03-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

@ 2009-03-09 13:52             ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-03-09 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

Avi Kivity wrote:
> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> Yes, this would be IMHO the best overall solution.  Can we take
>> kvm-userspace maint/2.6.29 and call it qemu-kvm-0.9.1-1?  Most users
>> don't need newer kernel modules if they have a relatively recent distro.
>>

> There's a slight snag here.  The kernel module wants bits from the
> userspace package (the backward compatibility kit and makefiles); the
> userspace package wants some kernel bits (header files).
>
> I think we can work around it by using 'git symbolic-ref'.  kvm.git
> would have a maint/2.6.29 branch, which would have an alias called
> maint/0.9.1.  Similarly, kvm-userspace.git would have a branch called
> maint/0.9.1, with an alias called maint/2.6.29.  Commits into one
> would automatically appear on the other.
>
> This sound reasonable?

That's close to sounding like git-giberish to me but if you think it'll
do what you want it to do then it works for me :-)

In terms of actual releases, I'd really like to see a kvm-0.10.0-0
release based on the qemu-0.10.0 release that didn't contain any kernel
modules.  Ideally, we would move libkvm into the qemu tree and collapse

@ 2009-03-09 10:35           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-03-09 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

@ 2009-02-11 13:18               ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-02-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

Anthony Liguori wrote:

>> I wonder about splitting the ordinary kvm-xx releases?  It means
>> doubling the download/build/install cycle, but it will increase
>> similarity to the stable releases.
>
> I was going to suggest that to but then wanted to avoid complicating
> things.  I think it's the right model.

I have to get the package/build machinery to do that anyway.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2009-02-11 13:13             ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-02-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

@ 2009-02-11 12:10           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-02-11 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

@ 2009-02-09 20:44         ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-02-09 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm-devel

@ 2009-02-09 20:10       ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-02-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glauber Costa; +Cc: Anthony Liguori, kvm-devel

Glauber Costa wrote:

> As we're getting close to kvm-xxx anyway, maybe we could forget this number
> scheme, and adopt something that tracks linux. This way, you know exactly what
> kernel a released is based on. Something in the lines of kvm-29.1  for updates
> to the .29 series, (of course _this_ scheme is bad, because it brings clashes)

It also ignores qemu, which is larger contributor to user visible
features...

Maybe stable releases should have separate packages for kvm and qemu:
kvm-modules-2.6.29.1 and qemu-kvm-0.9.1.17.  Users would pick the latest
of each, and would only need to upgrade a component that's changed.

signature is too narrow to contain.

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2009-02-09 20:07     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-02-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: kvm-devel

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>> Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>> Hi Avi,
>>>
>>> Since a number of people are using the maint/2.6.29 branch, perhaps
>>> we could start doing releases from it?  For instance, a kvm-74.1,
>>> kvm-74.2, etc. set of releases.  Likewise, when we start
>>> maint/2.6.30, a new set of stable releases could follow.
>>
>> Yes, I want to do that.
>
> Ok, is there anything standing in the way of doing this?  What would
> prevent us from doing a stable release in the next few days even?  Is
> there anything we can do to help?

Nothing, really.  There used to be the lack of a test suite but that's
no longer the case.

>>   One question is what to call these releases, though.
>
> I'd like to see it be named kvm-XX.y or something like that to keep a
> close association between what the base release was.  For instance,
> you wouldn't expect HPET support in kvm-74.3 but you may expect it if
> it were kvm-stable-3 or something.

Won't work - the kernel versions don't correspond to any kvm-xx
release.  Once a new release cycle is imminent, I only apply bugfixes to
the tree that eventually goes into -rc1, and of course later updates are
fixes only so it doesn't correspond to any kvm-xx release..

The kvm.git and kvm-userspace.git trees are really staging areas and I'd
like to de-emphasise them if favor of the Linux and qemu trees.  Maybe,
once qemu starts making regular releases, we can name a combined
kvm/qemu release after both trees (kvm-0.10.0/2.6.29-?)??

>> I'd like to keep the kernel part synced with 2.6.x.y for as long as
>> that's maintained.
>
> How do you deal with maint/2.6.29 right now in the kvm.git tree?  Do
> you sync that with the 2.6.x.y releases?

Yes.  As long as 2.6.29 is unreleased, maint/2.6.29 is Linus' tree.  Any
fixes to maint/2.6.29 only go in by way of Linus.  Once 2.6.29 is
released, maint/2.6.29 is synced to -stable (and commits only go in by
way of -stable).  Once 2.6.29.y is abandoned, I'm free to commit on my own.

>> Perhaps we can call these releases kvm-stable-x.y (though it would
>> cause confusion with kvm-xx).
>
> If you're just suggesting introducing -stable, it really doesn't
> matter to me.  I don't think it's necessary FWIW.

The problem is that x.y won't be a derivative of x, if x is a kvm-xx
release.  It's not just a string prefix.

>>   So, users of kvm-stable-x.y would be running the same code as users
>> running Linux-2.6.x.y with the bundled kvm modules.
>
> I think the majority of utility in the release numbers are associated
> with the userspace bits (maybe I'm a bit bias :-)).  I don't think
> most users care about the differences between 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 kernel
> bits, but the different between kvm-74 and kvm-83 is very important
> feature wise.

So maybe we should name the release after the qemu version, or changeseg
number, or snapshot date.  I agree that most features come from qemu
(and many kernel features depend on the actual host kernel, not just
what kernel the modules were taken from).

@ 2009-02-09 19:49     ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-02-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: Avi Kivity, kvm-devel

--
Glauber  Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."

* Re: Stable branch releases?
@ 2009-02-09 19:39   ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2009-02-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm-devel

@ 2009-02-09 19:34 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-02-09 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Liguori; +Cc: kvm-devel

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Hi Avi,
>
> Since a number of people are using the maint/2.6.29 branch, perhaps we
> could start doing releases from it?  For instance, a kvm-74.1,
> kvm-74.2, etc. set of releases.  Likewise, when we start maint/2.6.30,
> a new set of stable releases could follow.

Yes, I want to do that.  One question is what to call these releases,
though.

I'd like to keep the kernel part synced with 2.6.x.y for as long as
that's maintained.  Perhaps we can call these releases kvm-stable-x.y
(though it would cause confusion with kvm-xx).  So, users of

@ 2009-02-09 19:26 Anthony Liguori