* Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-04-29 22:51 Nancy Yuen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2020-04-29 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about multiple
BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate parts of a
system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in this area if at
all.

We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for BMC-BMC
communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally accessible. Here are some
options that we've looked at:

   1. i2c/IPMB
   2. usbnet/Redfish
   3. i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
   4. internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP

 I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).

----------
Nancy

* RE: [EXTERNAL] Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-04-29 23:43 ` Neeraj Ladkani
From: Neeraj Ladkani @ 2020-04-29 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen, OpenBMC Maillist

Nancy,

Just trying to understand, are there any specific scenarios that need aggregation at Head Node using BMC-BMC communication? Have you thought about aggregation at cloud service?

Neeraj

I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about multiple BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate parts of a system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in this area if at all.

We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for BMC-BMC communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:

  1.  i2c/IPMB
  2.  usbnet/Redfish
  3.  i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
  4.  internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
 I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).

----------
Nancy

* Re: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-04-30  0:15 ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-30  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Nancy,
We are currently using (1) in our current multi host design. Option (3) also looks good.

Regards
-Vijay

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org> on behalf of Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?

@ 2020-04-30  0:23   ` Neeraj Ladkani
From: Neeraj Ladkani @ 2020-04-30  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, Nancy Yuen, OpenBMC Maillist

Redfish defines computer system to be multiple chassis or multiple blades within a chassis.  It would be good to clarify if you are referring to “System” as:

  *   Multiple chassis with their own BMCs ( Storage, Compute, GPU etc )
  *   Multiple Blades with their own BMC within a chassis.

Neeraj

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org<mailto:openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org>> on behalf of Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com<mailto:yuenn@google.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org<mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>>

@ 2020-04-30  0:24   ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2020-04-30  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Neeraj, I was not considering aggregation in this case, just having the
intermediate BMC "route".

Vijay, thanks.  I was wondering what your applications for IPMB were for.
What's the rationale for using IPMB vs something else?  In your multihost
system, one BMC supports multiple host CPUs?  Are there also multiple BMCs?

----------
Nancy

@ 2020-04-30  0:26     ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2020-04-30  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neeraj Ladkani; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

Neeraj, that's a great question.  I'm not sure we have a good answer in
some cases.  I think the closest analog in general (for us) is multiple
blades with their own BMCs in a chassis.

----------
Nancy

@ 2020-04-30  0:42     ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-30  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Nancy,
We have multiple hosts which has a small controller called BIC (Bridge IC). This BIC on each host connected via i2c to main BMC and communicates through ipmi messages to BMC over IPMB/i2c.

Regards
-Vijay

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org<mailto:fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org>> on behalf of Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com<mailto:yuenn@google.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org<mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>>

@ 2020-04-30  1:32       ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2020-04-30  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Vijay, I wonder if IPMB would still be used in later generations or would
something like MCTP be considered?
----------
Nancy

@ 2020-04-30  4:50         ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-30  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Nancy,
As IPMI is still a legacy so ipmb will still be used I guess 😊. Once MCTP starts getting supported widely and they become more stable and generic then it can be used. But currently it is still a challenge to use across all devices.

-Vijay

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org<mailto:fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org>> on behalf of Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com<mailto:yuenn@google.com>>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org<mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>>

@ 2020-04-30  7:38 ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-04-30  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 30/04/20 4:21 am, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about
> multiple BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate
> parts of a system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in
> this area if at all.
>
> We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for
> BMC-BMC communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally
> accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:
>
>  1. i2c/IPMB
>  2. usbnet/Redfish
>  3. i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
>  4. internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
>
>   I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).
>
> ----------
> Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I think it depends on whether the BMCs need to talk to each other for
platform management, or if they manage their own hosts and we need one
of the BMCs to broadcast out of band requests and aggregate responses.

For the former I think PLDM over MCTP could be a good fit. This is more
of an "inband" use-case in my opinion so I'm not sure if Redfish is well
suited. For the latter, a Redfish based aggregation is a good option.

Regards,
Deepak

* Re: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-05-04 10:30   ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-05-04 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, openbmc

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, at 17:08, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 30/04/20 4:21 am, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> > I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about
> > multiple BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate
> > parts of a system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in
> > this area if at all.
> >
> > We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for
> > BMC-BMC communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally
> > accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:
> >
> >  1. i2c/IPMB
> >  2. usbnet/Redfish
> >  3. i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
> >  4. internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
> >
> >   I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).
> >
> > ----------
> > Nancy
>
> Hi Nancy,
>
> I think it depends on whether the BMCs need to talk to each other for
> platform management, or if they manage their own hosts and we need one
> of the BMCs to broadcast out of band requests and aggregate responses.
>
> For the former I think PLDM over MCTP could be a good fit. This is more
> of an "inband" use-case in my opinion so I'm not sure if Redfish is well
> suited. For the latter, a Redfish based aggregation is a good option.

I think this looks like the right approach. Certainly some thought would be
required in designing the MCTP networks given the (intentionally) limited
number of endpoint IDs.

Andrew

* Re: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-05-07 19:44     ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2020-05-07 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: Deepak Kodihalli, OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:31 AM Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, at 17:08, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> > On 30/04/20 4:21 am, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> > > I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about
> > > multiple BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate
> > > parts of a system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in
> > > this area if at all.
> > >
> > > We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for
> > > BMC-BMC communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally
> > > accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:
> > >
> > >  1. i2c/IPMB
> > >  2. usbnet/Redfish
> > >  3. i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
> > >  4. internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
> > >
> > >   I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).
> > >
> > > ----------
> > > Nancy
> >
> > Hi Nancy,
> >
> > I think it depends on whether the BMCs need to talk to each other for
> > platform management, or if they manage their own hosts and we need one
> > of the BMCs to broadcast out of band requests and aggregate responses.
> >
> > For the former I think PLDM over MCTP could be a good fit. This is more
> > of an "inband" use-case in my opinion so I'm not sure if Redfish is well
> > suited. For the latter, a Redfish based aggregation is a good option.
>
> I think this looks like the right approach. Certainly some thought would be
> required in designing the MCTP networks given the (intentionally) limited
> number of endpoint IDs.
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew, Deepak,

Sorry for the delayed response!

For the purposes of this discussion I have BMCs managing their own host:
BMC3<--->BMC2<--->BMC1/controller<--> external.  I wrote BMC1 but there
maybe some other controller there that isn't strictly a BMC.  BMC2 would be
"passing through" information between BMC1 and BMC3.  But I don't
necessarily want BMC2 to do any form of aggregation from information from
BMC3.  For BMC1/Controller and BMC 2 we are thinking Redfish.

In my case I'm interested in what ways people are thinking BMC2 and BMC3
should be connected and speaking to each other. Is MCTP/PLDM where everyone
is leaning?

* Re: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-05-08  4:11       ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-05-08  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen; +Cc: Deepak Kodihalli, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, 8 May 2020, at 05:14, Nancy Yuen wrote:

> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:31 AM Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:
> >

> >  On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, at 17:08, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> >  > On 30/04/20 4:21 am, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> >  > > I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about
> >  > > multiple BMCs in a system. Either for redundancy or managing separate
> >  > > parts of a system. I'm wondering what other people are thinking in
> >  > > this area if at all.
> >  > >
> >  > > We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for
> >  > > BMC-BMC communications. Some BMCs may not be externally
> >  > > accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:
> >  > >
> >  > > 1. i2c/IPMB
> >  > > 2. usbnet/Redfish
> >  > > 3. i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
> >  > > 4. internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
> >  > >
> >  > > I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).
> >  > >
> >  > > ----------
> >  > > Nancy
> >  >
> >  > Hi Nancy,
> >  >
> >  > I think it depends on whether the BMCs need to talk to each other for
> >  > platform management, or if they manage their own hosts and we need one
> >  > of the BMCs to broadcast out of band requests and aggregate responses.
> >  >
> >  > For the former I think PLDM over MCTP could be a good fit. This is more
> >  > of an "inband" use-case in my opinion so I'm not sure if Redfish is well
> >  > suited. For the latter, a Redfish based aggregation is a good option.
> >
> >  I think this looks like the right approach. Certainly some thought would be
> >  required in designing the MCTP networks given the (intentionally) limited
> >  number of endpoint IDs.
> >
> >  Andrew
>
> Hi Andrew, Deepak,
>
> Sorry for the delayed response!
>
> For the purposes of this discussion I have BMCs managing their own
> host: BMC3<--->BMC2<--->BMC1/controller<--> external. I wrote BMC1 but
> there maybe some other controller there that isn't strictly a BMC. BMC2
> would be "passing through" information between BMC1 and BMC3. But I
> don't necessarily want BMC2 to do any form of aggregation from
> information from BMC3. For BMC1/Controller and BMC 2 we are thinking
> Redfish.

So to restate, you're looking to bridge data from BMC1/controller to BMC3
via BMC2?

MCTP caters to this but it probably depends on what transport medium
you were thinking of using. Redfish for BMC1-to-BMC2 suggests networking,
which starts to go outside the use-cases for which MCTP is intended.

Others might be able to comment on whether Redfish is a good fit for a data
bridge.

Andrew

* Re: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-05-08 17:18       ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-05-08 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen, Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org> on behalf of Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com>
Date: Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 12:47 PM
To: Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:31 AM Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au<mailto:andrew@aj.id.au>> wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, at 17:08, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 30/04/20 4:21 am, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> > I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about
> > multiple BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate
> > parts of a system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in
> > this area if at all.
> >
> > We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for
> > BMC-BMC communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally
> > accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:
> >
> >  1. i2c/IPMB
> >  2. usbnet/Redfish
> >  3. i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
> >  4. internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
> >
> >   I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).
> >
> > ----------
> > Nancy
>
> Hi Nancy,
>
> I think it depends on whether the BMCs need to talk to each other for
> platform management, or if they manage their own hosts and we need one
> of the BMCs to broadcast out of band requests and aggregate responses.
>
> For the former I think PLDM over MCTP could be a good fit. This is more
> of an "inband" use-case in my opinion so I'm not sure if Redfish is well
> suited. For the latter, a Redfish based aggregation is a good option.

I think this looks like the right approach. Certainly some thought would be
required in designing the MCTP networks given the (intentionally) limited
number of endpoint IDs.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, Deepak,

Sorry for the delayed response!

For the purposes of this discussion I have BMCs managing their own host: BMC3<--->BMC2<--->BMC1/controller<--> external.  I wrote BMC1 but there maybe some other controller there that isn't strictly a BMC.  BMC2 would be "passing through" information between BMC1 and BMC3.  But I don't necessarily want BMC2 to do any form of aggregation from information from BMC3.  For BMC1/Controller and BMC 2 we are thinking Redfish.

In my case I'm interested in what ways people are thinking BMC2 and BMC3 should be connected and speaking to each other. Is MCTP/PLDM where everyone is leaning?

Nancy,
What is connectivity between BMC1, BMC2 and BMC3. Are these exposing any out of band connections. For security reasons, aggregator should use inband connectivity between BMCs and as Deepak said MCTP is good option for inband.

* Re: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?
@ 2020-05-09 20:07         ` Thomaiyar, Richard Marian
From: Thomaiyar, Richard Marian @ 2020-05-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, Nancy Yuen, Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist