* [Webhob] Data visualisation with js
@ 2013-02-07 11:18 Barros Pena, Belen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-02-07 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob

Over the past couple of weeks I've been looking into js-based data
visualisation frameworks to get an idea of what we can do for Web Hob.
I've been particularly impressed by arbor.js (http://arborjs.org/)

Some samples here:http://arborjs.org/halfviz/#/journey-under-the-sea

And here: http://arborjs.org/atlas/

Also by the Infovis Toolkit (http://philogb.github.com/jit/demos.html).
They provide multiple tree representation options, sunbursts and treemaps
(pretty much everything we've used so far for the design of Web Hob).

Let me know what you think.

Belen

Intel Corporation (UK) Limited
Registered No. 1134945 (England)
VAT No: 860 2173 47

* Re: [Webhob] Data visualisation with js
@ 2013-02-07 11:40 ` Chris Kaminski
From: Chris Kaminski @ 2013-02-07 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: webhob

Good stuff.

I've only just spent ~5 min. looking, so I'm probably missing lots and have done zero to evaluate them technically.

With those caveats, the arborjs demos (e.g. on the home page) seem excessively animated, and the halfviz demo stutters on my MacBook (2.5 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM).

Infovis is maybe less sophisticated in terms of effects, but the demos seem more practical.

Chris Kaminski
Lead User Experience Designer

07963 658519 | chris.kaminski@tobias.tv<mailto:chris.kaminski@tobias.tv> | www.tobias.tv<http://www.tobias.tv>

Experience Design with Tobias & Tobias

@ 2013-02-07 11:45 ` Daniel Simmons
From: Daniel Simmons @ 2013-02-07 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: webhob

Both arbor.js and infovis look great.

The fact that they use HTML5 canvas probably makes it fairly easy to
provide raster exports of the visualisations (through the toDataURL()
method and HTML5 File/Blog APIs), eg. to PNG etc.

Dan.

--

Daniel Simmons
Systems Engineer

daniel.simmons@tobias.tv | 020 7371 6695 | www.tobias.tv

*Experience Design **with Tobias & Tobias*

@ 2013-02-07 11:53   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-02-07 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Simmons, webhob

Thanks Dan.

Do you know any others you particularly like or have used in the past?

Thanks!

Belen

From: Daniel Simmons <daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv>>
Date: Thursday, 7 February 2013 11:45
To: "Belen Barros Pena (Intel)" <belen.barros.pena@intel.com<mailto:belen.barros.pena@intel.com>>
Cc: "webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>" <webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>>
Subject: Re: [Webhob] Data visualisation with js

daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv> | 020 7371 6695 | www.tobias.tv<http://www.tobias.tv>

@ 2013-02-07 12:05     ` Daniel Simmons
From: Daniel Simmons @ 2013-02-07 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: webhob

The only other one I've used is High Charts:
http://www.highcharts.com/demo/

It is very good, though the visualisations are more focused around charts:
http://www.highcharts.com/demo/pie-donut

Dan.

--

Daniel Simmons
Systems Engineer

daniel.simmons@tobias.tv | 020 7371 6695 | www.tobias.tv

*Experience Design **with Tobias & Tobias*

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Barros Pena, Belen <

@ 2013-02-07 12:10       ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2013-02-07 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Simmons; +Cc: webhob

Hi guys,

IMHO, I think we need to first define very well what information is very
important for us to see,
and then select the best tool that displays that information, where best
means:
 - easiest to understand
 - most consistent / coherent in terms of how the view changes among
different visualizations
 - fastest in terms of computing power / time to display / "smoothness" for
the end user/

I missed a lot of talk on the WebHOB, do we have a list of the set of infos
we want to show ?

Alex

@ 2013-02-07 14:03         ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-02-07 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian, Alexandru, Daniel Simmons; +Cc: webhob

Hi Alex,

The prototype we used for the first round of user interviews might give you an idea of the data to be presented and some of the visualisations we have been choosing. You can find it here:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-webhob-design/plain/phase1-iteration1-prototype/index.html

If you have any questions, get in touch.

Belen

From: Daniel Simmons <daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv><mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv>>>
Date: Thursday, 7 February 2013 11:45
To: "Belen Barros Pena (Intel)" <belen.barros.pena@intel.com<mailto:belen.barros.pena@intel.com><mailto:belen.barros.pena@intel.com<mailto:belen.barros.pena@intel.com>>>
Cc: "webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org><mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>>" <webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org><mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>>>

daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv><mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv>> | 020 7371 6695 | www.tobias.tv<http://www.tobias.tv><http://www.tobias.tv>

@ 2013-02-07 17:05   ` Michael Halstead
From: Michael Halstead @ 2013-02-07 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob

http://d3js.org/ is popular among my web developer friends. It might be
worth a look as well.

Michael Halstead
Yocto Project / Sys Admin

@ 2013-02-07 17:15     ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-02-07 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Halstead, webhob

That looks pretty powerful.

Thanks, Michael.

Belen

From: Michael Halstead <michael@yoctoproject.org<mailto:michael@yoctoproject.org>>
Date: Thursday, 7 February 2013 17:05
To: "webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>" <webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>>

@ 2013-03-18 11:43 ` Daniel Simmons
From: Daniel Simmons @ 2013-03-18 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob

Just came across this new kid on the block, with a pretty nice and simple
API:
http://www.chartjs.org/

Dan.

--

Daniel Simmons
Systems Engineer

daniel.simmons@tobias.tv

@ 2013-04-03 11:03   ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2013-04-03 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: webhob

And even more web-based dataviz options:

http://trifacta.github.com/vega/

We are going to have a hard time picking one…

Belen

From: Daniel Simmons <daniel.simmons@tobias.tv<mailto:daniel.simmons@tobias.tv>>
Date: Monday, 18 March 2013 12:43
To: "webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>" <webhob@yoctoproject.org<mailto:webhob@yoctoproject.org>>