* [Lustre-devel] Lustre 2.4 Release
@ 2013-06-20 12:21 Indivar Nair
From: Indivar Nair @ 2013-06-20 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Hi ...,

Lustre 2.4 was supposed to be released as a "Maintenance Release' -

  https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Community+Lustre+Roadmap

so how come it has been released as a 'Feature Release'?

  https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Lustre+Releases

Will it be moved to 'Maintenance Release' later?

Regards,

Indivar Nair
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Lustre-devel] Lustre 2.4 Release
@ 2013-06-20 12:29 ` Jones, Peter A
From: Jones, Peter A @ 2013-06-20 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Hi Indivar

You are not the first to get confused by the semantics in the terminology.

A maintenance release stream is a series of maintenance releases that follows a given feature release.

So, 2.4.0 is a feature release, 2.4.x is set to become our next maintenance release stream, and 2.4.1 (due out in Q3) will be the first maintenance release in that stream.

The visual on the roadmap showing the link between the feature releases and the maintenance releases aims to illustrate this.

Does this make sense? Do you have any suggestions how we could clarify this?

Peter

@ 2013-06-20 16:24 ` Dilger, Andreas
From: Dilger, Andreas @ 2013-06-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

On 2013/20/06 6:21 AM, "Indivar Nair" <indivar.nair@techterra.in> wrote:

>Hi ...,
>

>Lustre 2.4 was supposed to be released as a "Maintenance Release' -
>
>  https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Community+Lustre+Roadmap
>
>so how come it has been released as a 'Feature Release'?
>
>  https://wiki.hpdd.intel.com/display/PUB/Lustre+Releases
>

>Will it be moved to 'Maintenance Release' later?

The 2.4.0 release is one of the 6-month feature releases.
2.4.1 will be the first maintenance release on that branch.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

Lustre Software Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division

* [Lustre-devel] Lustre 2.4 Release
@ 2013-06-20 17:38   ` Indivar Nair
From: Indivar Nair @ 2013-06-20 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Ok. The diagram seems to suggest that 2.4.0 would be first maintenance
release.

Anyways...

So I will be able to make an inplace upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 when it is
released.
i.e. no re-installation of OS or reformatting OSTs when I move to 2.4.1.
Just upgrading the Lustre Kernel and Lustre Packages to 2.4.1 should do.
right?

Regards,

Indivar Nair

@ 2013-06-20 21:15     ` White, Cliff
From: White, Cliff @ 2013-06-20 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

From: Indivar Nair <indivar.nair at techterra.in<mailto:indivar.nair@techterra.in>>
Date: Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:38 AM
To: "Dilger, Andreas" <andreas.dilger at intel.com<mailto:andreas.dilger@intel.com>>
Cc: "lustre-devel at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org>" <lustre-devel at lists.lustre.org<mailto:lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org>>
Subject: Re: [Lustre-devel] Lustre 2.4 Release

Ok. The diagram seems to suggest that 2.4.0 would be first maintenance release.

Anyways...

So I will be able to make an inplace upgrade from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 when it is released.
i.e. no re-installation of OS or reformatting OSTs when I move to 2.4.1.
Just upgrading the Lustre Kernel and Lustre Packages to 2.4.1 should do. right?

Yes, that is the meaning of a maintenance release. Any upgrade from Lustre X.Y.N to X.Y.N+1  will not require re-formatting.
However, we track vendor kernel bug fixes in our kernels, so a maintenance release will require a kernel change, but should not impact the OS install otherwise.
Cliffw

Regards,

Indivar Nair

@ 2013-06-20 21:19     ` Jones, Peter A
From: Jones, Peter A @ 2013-06-20 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Just the usual upgrade process as per the manual.

@ 2013-06-21 17:10   ` Indivar Nair
From: Indivar Nair @ 2013-06-21 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lustre-devel

Thanks Andreas, Cliff, Peter.
I guess that clears all confusions.

Peter, you could simply remove the number '2.4.0' shown in the 'Maintenance
Release' branch in the diagram.
i.e. not have 2.4.0 printed at both places.
This will clearly indicate that 2.4.0 will be a 'Feature Release' but will
go on to become a 'Maintenance Release' in its subsequent versions.

Thanks Guys.

Regards,

Indivar Nair

@ 2013-06-21 20:20     ` Jones, Peter A