* how to assign a pci device to guest [with qemu.git upstream]?
@ 2011-09-25  3:48 Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2011-09-25  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KVM General

Hi folks,
I'm using kvm and qemu upstream on https://github.com/avikivity
The following command line was right for me about three weeks ago, but now I meet some error.
# qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -smp 2 -device pci-assign,host=0e:00.0 -hda /root/rhel6u1.img
output error is like following.
qemu-system-x86_64: -device pci-assign,host=0d:00.0: Parameter 'driver' expects a driver name
Try with argument '?' for a list.

But I found the qemu document docs/qdev-device-use.txt said the following.
"The new way is
    -device pci-assign,host=ADDR,iommu=IOMMU,id=ID "
Even if I add "iommu=IOMMU,id=ID" to my command line, I will meet the same error.

I also found this page said the same command line with mine.
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM

Anybody know what's wrong with my command line? or this is a qemu bug ? thanks very much.

Best Regards,
     Yongjie Ren  (Jay)

* Re: how to assign a pci device to guest [with qemu.git upstream]?
@ 2011-09-29  0:56 ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2011-09-29  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Yongjie; +Cc: KVM General

* Ren, Yongjie (yongjie.ren@intel.com) wrote:
> I'm using kvm and qemu upstream on https://github.com/avikivity
> The following command line was right for me about three weeks ago, but now I meet some error.
> # qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1024 -smp 2 -device pci-assign,host=0e:00.0 -hda /root/rhel6u1.img
> output error is like following.
> qemu-system-x86_64: -device pci-assign,host=0d:00.0: Parameter 'driver' expects a driver name
> Try with argument '?' for a list.

Looks like you don't have device assignment support compiled in.
Start with the basics (assuming tree has hw/device-assignment.c):

did your ./configure output show:

KVM device assig. yes

and does your binary agree?

qemu-system-x86_64 -device ? 2>&1 | grep pci-assign

thanks,
-chris

* RE: how to assign a pci device to guest [with qemu.git upstream]?
@ 2011-09-29  3:04   ` Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2011-09-29  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wright, Avi Kivity; +Cc: KVM General

Chris,
Thanks very much for you kind help.
I can't find hw/device-assignment.c in the qemu.git tree.
Avi,
I clone qemu from git://github.com/avikivity/qemu.git
So device assignment is not available. But qemu-kvm.git has device-assignment code before kernel.org is down.
Any update for this issue?

Best Regards,
     Yongjie Ren  (Jay)

@ 2011-09-29  3:59     ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2011-09-29  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Yongjie; +Cc: Chris Wright, Avi Kivity, KVM General

* Ren, Yongjie (yongjie.ren@intel.com) wrote:
> Chris,
> Thanks very much for you kind help.
> I can't find hw/device-assignment.c in the qemu.git tree.
> Avi,
> I clone qemu from git://github.com/avikivity/qemu.git
> So device assignment is not available. But qemu-kvm.git has device-assignment code before kernel.org is down.
> Any update for this issue?

Are you using the master branch?  I noticed the github web defaults to
the memory/queue branch.

thanks,
-chris

* Re: how to assign a pci device to guest [with qemu.git upstream]?
@ 2011-09-29  4:33       ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2011-09-29  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Yongjie; +Cc: Chris Wright, Avi Kivity, KVM General

* Chris Wright (chrisw@sous-sol.org) wrote:
> * Ren, Yongjie (yongjie.ren@intel.com) wrote:
> > Chris,
> > Thanks very much for you kind help.
> > I can't find hw/device-assignment.c in the qemu.git tree.
> > Avi,
> > I clone qemu from git://github.com/avikivity/qemu.git
> > So device assignment is not available. But qemu-kvm.git has device-assignment code before kernel.org is down.
> > Any update for this issue?
>
> Are you using the master branch?  I noticed the github web defaults to
> the memory/queue branch.

BTW, if you hadn't used branches much before, something like this will
get you what you want:

$ git checkout -b master origin/master

Now you'll be on the master branch (and it should track upstream master
properly).

thanks,
-chris

* RE: how to assign a pci device to guest [with qemu.git upstream]?
@ 2011-09-29  5:28         ` Ren, Yongjie
From: Ren, Yongjie @ 2011-09-29  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > > I can't find hw/device-assignment.c in the qemu.git tree.
> > > Avi,
> > > I clone qemu from git://github.com/avikivity/qemu.git
> > > So device assignment is not available. But qemu-kvm.git has
> device-assignment code before kernel.org is down.
> > > Any update for this issue?
> >
> > Are you using the master branch?  I noticed the github web defaults to
> > the memory/queue branch.
>
> BTW, if you hadn't used branches much before, something like this will
> get you what you want:
>
> $ git checkout -b master origin/master
>
> Now you'll be on the master branch (and it should track upstream master
> properly).
Oh, thanks a lot.  I didn't notice the qemu.git is using the 'memory/queue' branch by default.
I've switched it to the 'master' tree. It seems device assignment works fine now.

@ 2011-10-02 10:00           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2011-10-02 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Yongjie; +Cc: Chris Wright, KVM General

On 09/29/2011 08:28 AM, Ren, Yongjie wrote:
> >  Now you'll be on the master branch (and it should track upstream master
> >  properly).
> Oh, thanks a lot.  I didn't notice the qemu.git is using the 'memory/queue' branch by default.
> I've switched it to the 'master' tree. It seems device assignment works fine now.

I changed it to default to 'master'.