* [review requested] column sort order
@ 2014-03-27 20:33 Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-27 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

Please review the correction for the column sort order issue #5919.
I have applied this change to all displays that have tables with sortable/optional columns.

Thanks in advance  - fw

* Re: [review requested] column sort order
@ 2014-03-28 11:29 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-03-28 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wymore, Farrell W (Wind River); +Cc: toaster

On 27/03/2014 20:33, "Wymore, Farrell" <Farrell.Wymore@windriver.com>
wrote:

>Hi Belen,
>
>Please review the correction for the column sort order issue #5919.

Hi Farrell,

This is behaving a bit funny. The sorting change should trigger only when
the user closes the "Edit columns" menu, and the "Edit columns" menu
should only close when the user closes it.

I should be able to do something like:

* Go to the Packages table
* Sort it by Size
* Open the Edit columns menu
* Deselect the Size column
* Select the Size column again
* Then close the "Edit columns" menu

And the table should still be sorted by Size.

Right now, when I deselect the column with the sorting applied, the "Edit
columns" menu closes by itself after a certain amount of time: that should
never happen. That menu should only ever be dismissed by clicking the
button or outside the menu area when the menu is open. Dismissing it
should trigger the sorting change when needed.

Cheers

Belén

@ 2014-03-28 16:09   ` Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

Thanks for the review.

Hmm... This sounds like a problem of how the menu/pop-up is managed rather than the sorting itself. To paraphrase, you're asking for no action to be taken until the pop-up/menu is closed.
I think I may be able to correct this for the 'Edit columns' popup but this problem may likely occur with other popup menus.

    - fw

@ 2014-03-28 16:42   ` Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-28 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

I have amended this branch to have the indicated behavior - no action taken until the pop-up is closed by the user - it passes the test below.

     - fw

@ 2014-03-28 18:01     ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-03-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wymore, Farrell W (Wind River); +Cc: toaster

Hi Farrell,

Thanks for this. With your changes, the following works correctly:

* Sort the packages table by Size
* Open the Edit columns menu
* Deselect the Size column
* Close the Edit columns menu

When the menu closes, the Package sorting is applied. Nice! :)

But if I try to do more than one thing in the Edit columns menu, the page
refresh is triggered before I dismiss the menu. Try this:

* Go to the Packages table
* Sort it by Size
* Open the Edit columns menu
* Deselect the Size column
* Select the Size column again
* Then close the "Edit columns" menu

The resorting is triggered before I dismiss the menu.

So, I am starting to think this might be a bit too much work for an edge
case. Would it be easier if we simply disable the checkbox for whichever
column has the .sorted class applied? This means that when I sort by a
certain column, if the checkbox for that column is not disabled by
default, we disable it (add the disabled attribute to the input tag and
the .muted class to the label tag). That might be an easy thing to do with
jQuery.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

Belén

@ 2014-03-28 18:09       ` Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

This works for me. I have been fussing with this a bit more (mainly dealing with git problems) since I checked in the first change this morning. I have a couple of things I need to clean up. Let me do that. I'll let you know when to try again. Thanks.

    - fw

@ 2014-03-28 18:13         ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-03-28 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wymore, Farrell W (Wind River); +Cc: toaster

On 28/03/2014 18:09, "Wymore, Farrell" <Farrell.Wymore@windriver.com>
wrote:

>This works for me. I have been fussing with this a bit more (mainly
>dealing with git problems) since I checked in the first change this
>morning. I have a couple of things I need to clean up. Let me do that.
>I'll let you know when to try again. Thanks.

Thanks! and sorry for all the back and forth.

@ 2014-03-28 19:25           ` Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

I think the fwymore/sortcol branch is now in good shape.  I also tried all of your tests indicated below and they all appear to have the expected behavior.  Please try another review.

Thanks in advance - fw

@ 2014-03-31  9:44             ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-03-31  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wymore, Farrell W (Wind River); +Cc: toaster

On 28/03/2014 19:25, "Wymore, Farrell" <Farrell.Wymore@windriver.com>
wrote:

>Hi Belen,
>
>I think the fwymore/sortcol branch is now in good shape.  I also tried
>all of your tests indicated below and they all appear to have the
>expected behavior.  Please try another review.

Hi Farrell,

This is still not working for me. If I hide the .sorted column and then
take any other action in the menu, the menu will close by itself.

I just don't think this is ever going to work well while re-sorting needs
a page refresh. Could we try the alternative solution instead, i.e.
disable the checkbox for the .sorted column?

Thanks!

Belén

@ 2014-03-31 15:45               ` Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-31 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

What browser are you using to test? I'm using Chrome - everything works as expected.

    - fw

@ 2014-03-31 16:12                 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-03-31 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wymore, Farrell W (Wind River); +Cc: toaster

On 31/03/2014 16:45, "Wymore, Farrell" <Farrell.Wymore@windriver.com>
wrote:

>Hi Belen,
>
>What browser are you using to test? I'm using Chrome - everything works
>as expected.

Firefox 28, but just tried it with Chrome 33 and it doesn't seem to be
working either :/

@ 2014-03-31 16:47                   ` Wymore, Farrell
From: Wymore, Farrell @ 2014-03-31 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

Hi Belen,

I retested with both Chrome and Firefox. Both work as expected - take no action until the popup-menu is closed.
I checked the branch and the most recent check-in. All appears to be correct. There is one more possibility which
I haven't been able to verify yet - git could be lying to me.

Another thing you could try:
1) Make sure you have the most recent fwymore/sortcol branch
2) Stop toaster
3) Start toaster
4) Clear the cache in your browser (I didn't have to do this)
5) Test

This procedure may be necessary because javascript functions (and other stuff) may get cached in either the server and/or the browser even if the enclosing html has changed.
BTW, the same thing happens with css data.

    - fw

@ 2014-03-31 17:07                     ` Reyna, David
From: Reyna, David @ 2014-03-31 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wymore, Farrell, BARROS PENA, BELEN; +Cc: toaster

If we need to do a WebEx session to visually and directly compare our results, let me know and I will set it up.

- David