* Need your help on setting of  INITIAL_JIFFIES
@ 2011-05-20  8:09 ` MOHANTY CHANDAN-WJKD64
From: MOHANTY CHANDAN-WJKD64 @ 2011-05-20  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sshtylyov, hvr, linux-mips, clem.taylor, linux-mips-bounce,
	4468F40F.80902, 4468EE9B.4000009
  Cc: MOHANTY CHANDAN-WJKD64

My greetings to all the enlightened Linux Souls.

 I got all the mail ids from one of Linux based mail chain/URL
http://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2006-05/msg00193.html

Pls guide me on the usage of  INITIAL_JIFFIES.

In the source of linux kernel \include\linux\jiffies.h there is code
like this

/*
 * Have the 32 bit jiffies value wrap 5 minutes after boot
 * so jiffies wrap bugs show up earlier.
 */
#define INITIAL_JIFFIES ((unsigned long)(unsigned int) (-300*HZ))

 This sets the initial jiffies value to 0x00000000fffb6c20, which can
trigger 32-bit wraparound bugs .It is an offset to the jiffies
counter,so that it begins from a large value instead of zero. So the
wrap-around happens earlier,making it possible to detect any counter
wrap-around bugs much quicker regardless of the HZ setting.

1.Suppose I want to simulate the jiffies wraparound after 30
mins(1800sec) of reboot.Can I change code as below in kernel?

#define INITIAL_JIFFIES ((unsigned long)(unsigned int) (-1800*HZ))
u64 jiffies_64 = INITIAL_JIFFIES;

2.How to verify/test that wraparound has happened?

Regards
Chandan

From: MOHANTY CHANDAN-WJKD64 @ 2011-05-20  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sshtylyov, hvr, linux-mips, clem.taylor, linux-mips-bounce,