* nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-15 12:07 Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-15 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

Hi James,
Do we have support for NVME sensors in dbus sensors? I see phosphor-nvme repo which needs configuration from yaml file, is it possible to integrate this with entity manager?

Regards
-Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-15 12:28 ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-15 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

Sorry, please ignore this, I found NVME in dbus-sensors. I needed to update repo in local workspace.

Regards
-Vijay

From: Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:07 AM
To: "james.feist@linux.intel.com" <james.feist@linux.intel.com>
Cc: "openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: nvme sensors

@ 2020-04-15 17:59   ` Neeraj Ladkani
From: Neeraj Ladkani @ 2020-04-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Vijay,

Are they implemented over MCTP over SMBUS?

Neeraj

From: Vijay Khemka <mailto:vijaykhemka@fb.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:07 AM
To: "mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com" <mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com>
Cc: "mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

@ 2020-04-15 18:49     ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-15 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neeraj Ladkani, james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

Yes there is a support for MCTP also in code but I have not tested this feature so can't comment.

    From: Vijay Khemka <mailto:vijaykhemka@fb.com>
    Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:07 AM
    To: "mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com" <mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com>
    Cc: "mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

@ 2020-04-15 20:59       ` Neeraj Ladkani
From: Neeraj Ladkani @ 2020-04-15 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, james.feist; +Cc: openbmc

Thanks Vijay.

Can anyone comment on MCTP feature completeness on OpenBMC?  I reviewed  libMCTP and some of bindings but its not clear who is using that?

Neeraj

    From: Vijay Khemka <mailto:vijaykhemka@fb.com>
    Date: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:07 AM
    To: "mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com" <mailto:james.feist@linux.intel.com>
    Cc: "mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <mailto:openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>

    Hi James,
    Do we have support for NVME sensors in dbus sensors? I see phosphor-nvme repo which needs configuration from yaml file, is it possible to integrate this with entity manager?

    Regards
    -Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-16  2:40         ` Andrew Jeffery
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-04-16  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neeraj Ladkani, Vijay Khemka, James Feist; +Cc: openbmc

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, at 06:29, Neeraj Ladkani wrote:
> Thanks Vijay.
>
> Can anyone comment on MCTP feature completeness on OpenBMC?

What features are you looking for? Keen to see discussion about people's
MCTP needs.

Anyway, OpenBMC's MCTP support is in progress but fairly immature.
Part of the plan is to move MCTP support into the kernel. If you're making
use of MCTP then I'd like to hear your use-cases so I can make sure the
kernel interface meets everyone's requirements.

>  I reviewed
>  libMCTP and some of bindings but its not clear who is using that?

IBM is using libmctp in both BMC and host firmware, and Intel is working
on it for use in their BMCs (but not host firmware).

Andrew

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-16  3:08           ` Mark Carlson
From: Mark Carlson @ 2020-04-16  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: Neeraj Ladkani, Vijay Khemka, James Feist, openbmc

NVMe-MI. Over MCTP. This gets you into a broad range of SSDs for management.
Also would like to look to I3C Basic for MCTP in the future, and I know DMTF is looking at this. They have a Redfish Device Enablement method for getting an NVMe drive to respond with Redfish.

— mark

> On Apr 15, 2020, at 8:41 PM, Andrew Jeffery <andrew@aj.id.au> wrote:
>
> If you're making
> use of MCTP then I'd like to hear your use-cases so I can make sure the
> kernel interface meets everyone's requirements.

* RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-16  7:52           ` Neeraj Ladkani
From: Neeraj Ladkani @ 2020-04-16  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery, Vijay Khemka, James Feist; +Cc: openbmc

Some of use cases:

- Standard MCTP message handling
- MCTP bridging
- Support SMBUS ( PCIe in future)
- MCTP tool( from console) that can be used to send any MCTP messages to a device and read responses, discovery etc.

Can you explain what are problems with libmctp(SMBUS binding ) with current implementation?

Neeraj

@ 2020-04-16 23:15           ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-16 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist; +Cc: openbmc

Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
kernel driver which is not upstream.

So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.

James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.

Regards
-Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-16 23:34             ` Benjamin Fair
From: Benjamin Fair @ 2020-04-16 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist, openbmc

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 16:15, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

> Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
> libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
> kernel driver which is not upstream.
>
> So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
>
> James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
> Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.

If you want to use NVME-MI without MCTP, this use case is supported by
phosphor-nvme. It makes direct SMBus calls.

> Regards
> -Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17  0:36             ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-04-17  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Carlson; +Cc: Neeraj Ladkani, Vijay Khemka, James Feist, openbmc

Hi Mark,

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, at 12:38, Mark Carlson wrote:
> NVMe-MI. Over MCTP. This gets you into a broad range of SSDs for
> management.

As mentioned in other replies in this thread you may want to check out
Intel's dbus-sensors or the phosphor-nvme repos.

https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-April/021288.html

> Also would like to look to I3C Basic for MCTP in the future, and I know
> DMTF is looking at this. They have a Redfish Device Enablement method
> for getting an NVMe drive to respond with Redfish.

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17  0:57             ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-04-17  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neeraj Ladkani, Vijay Khemka, James Feist
  Cc: openbmc, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian, sumanth.bhat

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020, at 17:22, Neeraj Ladkani wrote:
> Some of use cases:
>
> - Standard MCTP message handling

This can be split into a few parts:

1. MCTP binding implementations
2. MCTP message packetisation
3. APIs to expose the control commands defined in the DSP0236

Regarding 1, we have a couple of bindings in upstream libmctp:

a. The standard serial binding (DSP0253)
b. A vendor-defined (IBM) LPC binding (i.e. this is not the standard KCS binding).

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread Intel have a lot of out-of-tree code that
enables the SMBus binding. Some of the difficulties with upstreaming this code
are addressed by moving MCTP into the kernel and exposing a socket interface.

Regarding 2, this is already reasonably well handled by libmctp.

Regarding 3, I'm working through some of the details with Richard and Sumanth
from Intel at the moment about how we best support the base control commands
and the effects they can have on binding instances in libmctp. One of the issues
to highlight here is the split between in-band data and out-of-band notifications.
Currently libmctp's mctp-demux-daemon does not have a good story around
out-of-band notifications.

Regarding the planned kernel implementation, 1 and 2 will happen in-kernel,
while 3 will remain in userspace. The plan is to implement a netlink interface
to control configuration of the MCTP network, which will allow userspace to
communicate out-of-band data from the standard commands to the kernel.

> - MCTP bridging

There is some support in libmctp for bridging but it would currently require
an application to explicitly exploit it. For instance it's not exploited by the
mctp-demux-daemon (in utils/).

Supporting MCTP bridging is definitely on my radar for the kernel implementation.

> - Support SMBUS ( PCIe in future)

The motivation behind the kernel implementation is to hide the specifics of
applying a binding specification to a piece of hardware from userspace, which
removes the currently problem of needing to create bespoke userspace
interfaces to expose the hardware capabilities out to userspace. Once I have
the in-kernel interfaces going for MCTP then adding support for SMBus and
PCIe bindings should be the same amount of effort as implementing a device
driver.

> - MCTP tool( from console) that can be used to send any MCTP messages
> to a device and read responses, discovery etc.

Yep, I intend to write one as part of supporting the kernel implementation.
This would be usable with the socket interface provided by the
mctp-demux-daemon.

> Can you explain what are problems with libmctp(SMBUS binding ) with
> current implementation?

That might best be left to the Intel people who have already done some work
in this area.

Thanks for the response. Hope my replies help.

Andrew

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 18:04               ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-17 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Fair; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist, openbmc

On 4/16/20, 4:35 PM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:

    On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 16:15, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

    > Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
    > libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
    > kernel driver which is not upstream.
    >
    > So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
    >
    > James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
    > Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.

    If you want to use NVME-MI without MCTP, this use case is supported by
    phosphor-nvme. It makes direct SMBus calls.

Ben, thanks I see that but it needs certain GPIOs like PwrGd, presence and I am trying to find if
Our platform support any such GPIOs.

    > Regards
    > -Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 18:10                 ` Benjamin Fair
From: Benjamin Fair @ 2020-04-17 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist, openbmc

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 11:05, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/20, 4:35 PM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 16:15, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
>     > libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
>     > kernel driver which is not upstream.
>     >
>     > So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
>     >
>     > James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
>     > Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.
>
>     If you want to use NVME-MI without MCTP, this use case is supported by
>     phosphor-nvme. It makes direct SMBus calls.
>
> Ben, thanks I see that but it needs certain GPIOs like PwrGd, presence and I am trying to find if
> Our platform support any such GPIOs.

If your platform doesn't have these GPIOs, we should be able to make
phosphor-nvme more flexible and not require them. It was designed for
one system at first with the expectation that it could become more
general over time.

>     >
>     > Regards
>     > -Vijay
>     >
>     >

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 18:41                   ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-17 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Fair; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist, openbmc

On 4/17/20, 11:11 AM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:

    On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 11:05, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

    > On 4/16/20, 4:35 PM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:
    >
    >     On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 16:15, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
    >     >
    >     > Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
    >     > libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
    >     > kernel driver which is not upstream.
    >     >
    >     > So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
    >     >
    >     > James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
    >     > Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.
    >
    >     If you want to use NVME-MI without MCTP, this use case is supported by
    >     phosphor-nvme. It makes direct SMBus calls.
    >
    > Ben, thanks I see that but it needs certain GPIOs like PwrGd, presence and I am trying to find if
    > Our platform support any such GPIOs.

    If your platform doesn't have these GPIOs, we should be able to make
    phosphor-nvme more flexible and not require them. It was designed for
    one system at first with the expectation that it could become more
    general over time.

Cool, That will be great. I also don't see recipe file for this. And how easy/hard to integrate this
with entity manager as we use entity manager to list all sensors.

    >     >
    >     > Regards
    >     > -Vijay
    >     >
    >     >

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 18:47             ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2020-04-17 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani; +Cc: openbmc

On 4/16/2020 4:15 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
> libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
> kernel driver which is not upstream.
>
> So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
>
> James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
> Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.

Currently it only supports MCTP. Should be easy to change it to support
both with some flag if you require it.

> Regards
> -Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 18:57                     ` Benjamin Fair
From: Benjamin Fair @ 2020-04-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist, openbmc

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 11:42, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

> On 4/17/20, 11:11 AM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 11:05, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On 4/16/20, 4:35 PM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 16:15, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     > Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
>     >     > libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
>     >     > kernel driver which is not upstream.
>     >     >
>     >     > So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
>     >     >
>     >     > James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
>     >     > Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.
>     >
>     >     If you want to use NVME-MI without MCTP, this use case is supported by
>     >     phosphor-nvme. It makes direct SMBus calls.
>     >
>     > Ben, thanks I see that but it needs certain GPIOs like PwrGd, presence and I am trying to find if
>     > Our platform support any such GPIOs.
>
>     If your platform doesn't have these GPIOs, we should be able to make
>     phosphor-nvme more flexible and not require them. It was designed for
>     one system at first with the expectation that it could become more
>     general over time.
>
> Cool, That will be great. I also don't see recipe file for this.

The recipe file is at
meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/sensors/phosphor-nvme_git.bb

> And how easy/hard to integrate this
> with entity manager as we use entity manager to list all sensors.

I'm not familiar enough with entity-manager to say for sure.

>     >
>     >     >
>     >     > Regards
>     >     > -Vijay
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >
>     >

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 19:20               ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-17 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani; +Cc: openbmc

On 4/17/20, 11:47 AM, "James Feist" <james.feist@linux.intel.com> wrote:

    On 4/16/2020 4:15 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    > Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
    > libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
    > kernel driver which is not upstream.
    >
    > So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
    >
    > James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
    > Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.

    Currently it only supports MCTP. Should be easy to change it to support
    both with some flag if you require it.

Thanks James, I will look into change as it doesn’t even build currently with libmctp dependency and
Intel's patch. I will see how can it be modified not to link mctp based on config.

    > Regards
    > -Vijay

* Re: nvme sensors
@ 2020-04-17 19:21                       ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-04-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Fair; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Neeraj Ladkani, James Feist, openbmc

On 4/17/20, 11:58 AM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:

    On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 11:42, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

    > On 4/17/20, 11:11 AM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:
    >
    >     On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 11:05, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > On 4/16/20, 4:35 PM, "Benjamin Fair" <benjaminfair@google.com> wrote:
    >     >
    >     >     On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 at 16:15, Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Currently, dbus-sensors support reading NVME sensors via mctp only. It uses
    >     >     > libmctp and some of smbus patch from Intel. It also uses slave mqueue mctp
    >     >     > kernel driver which is not upstream.
    >     >     >
    >     >     > So currently it is not matured and fully upstreamed.
    >     >     >
    >     >     > James, how can we use this without mctp. I don't see any non mctp support like
    >     >     > Sending direct smbus command, please advise if I missed it.
    >     >
    >     >     If you want to use NVME-MI without MCTP, this use case is supported by
    >     >     phosphor-nvme. It makes direct SMBus calls.
    >     >
    >     > Ben, thanks I see that but it needs certain GPIOs like PwrGd, presence and I am trying to find if
    >     > Our platform support any such GPIOs.
    >
    >     If your platform doesn't have these GPIOs, we should be able to make
    >     phosphor-nvme more flexible and not require them. It was designed for
    >     one system at first with the expectation that it could become more
    >     general over time.
    >
    > Cool, That will be great. I also don't see recipe file for this.

    The recipe file is at
    meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/sensors/phosphor-nvme_git.bb
Thanks