* Building xen-image-minimal for RPi4 Compute Module
@ 2021-11-06  3:45 pbg.dev
From: pbg.dev @ 2021-11-06  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

I'm in the process of building xen-image-minimal for my Raspberry Pi 4 Compute Module and am hitting some issues when running the image on physical hardware. Upon inspecting the boot partition of the sd-card, I noticed that the image only contained the dtb for the Raspberry Pi 4B; this makes sense when I look at xen-raspberrypi4-64.inc:

    # Override the meta-raspberrypi default kernel preference
    PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
    KERNEL_DEVICETREE ?= "broadcom/bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb"

Compared with the device tree blobs declared in meta-raspberrypi's raspberrypi4-64.conf:

    RPI_KERNEL_DEVICETREE = " \
        broadcom/bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb \
        broadcom/bcm2711-rpi-400.dtb \
        broadcom/bcm2711-rpi-cm4.dtb \
    "

Looking into it further, it seems that the device tree listing in the kernel used in the xen-image-minimal build doesn't contain the newer firmware blobs contained in meta-raspberrypi, which causes devices like ethernet to fail to start up when the image finally boots.

I've tried adding the bcm2711-rpi-cm4 firmware blob to the SD card manually, but that causes u-boot to fail with the error "Bad Linux ARM64 Image Magic!" after the Boot Xen step in output. I also tried manually replacing the bootfiles written by the xen sd card image with the latest blobs from meta-raspberrypi's packages, but once the OS boots I find that xen is no longer running, making me suspect I screwed up the configuration somewhere.

Is this something I can trivially fix? Is there a way for me to override the device tree selection used by the minimal xen image in my local.conf? Or do I need to investigate patching one of the meta-virtualization recipes?

(Apologies if I've used any of the wrong lingo/terms here; still new to RasPi/Yocto/Xen :D)