* What now when we're [almost] out of ADVERTISED bits?
@ 2015-11-29 13:53 Yuval Mintz
From: Yuval Mintz @ 2015-11-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben, netdev

[I suspect there was probably some discussion over this,
but I couldn't find it; References would be welcome]

So it appears we're almost out of bits for new advertised speeds;
I'm currently looking at adding 100g.

Assuming we want [and we do want] to have those in the `supported',
`advertising' and `lp_advertising' fields, the 2 reserve fields in
ethtool_cmd would not be sufficient [unless we break them into 4 u16].
Or are we planning something more generic than this for future bits?

Following with a slightly [but related] topic, what's our policy for
non-finalized standards? Specifically, for 25Gb and 50Gb?

Thanks,
Yuval

* Re: What now when we're [almost] out of ADVERTISED bits?
@ 2015-11-29 21:39 ` Or Gerlitz
From: Or Gerlitz @ 2015-11-29 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuval Mintz; +Cc: ben, netdev, David Decotigny

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Yuval Mintz <Yuval.Mintz@qlogic.com> wrote:
> [I suspect there was probably some discussion over this,
> but I couldn't find it; References would be welcome]

there was a work by David Decotigny that should have solved the out of
bits problem here [1]. Maybe it should be revived.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/1/26/882

> So it appears we're almost out of bits for new advertised speeds;
> I'm currently looking at adding 100g.
>
> Assuming we want [and we do want] to have those in the `supported',
> `advertising' and `lp_advertising' fields, the 2 reserve fields in
> ethtool_cmd would not be sufficient [unless we break them into 4 u16].
> Or are we planning something more generic than this for future bits?

Or.

* Re: What now when we're [almost] out of ADVERTISED bits?
@ 2015-11-30  0:40   ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2015-11-30  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Or Gerlitz, Yuval Mintz; +Cc: netdev, David Decotigny

On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 23:39 +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Yuval Mintz <Yuval.Mintz@qlogic.com> wrote:
> > [I suspect there was probably some discussion over this,
> > but I couldn't find it; References would be welcome]
>
> there was a work by David Decotigny that should have solved the out of
> bits problem here [1]. Maybe it should be revived.
>
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/1/26/882

Yes, it should.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Who are all these weirdos? - David Bowie, reading IRC for the first time

* Re: What now when we're [almost] out of ADVERTISED bits?
@ 2015-11-30  2:53     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2015-11-30  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben; +Cc: gerlitz.or, Yuval.Mintz, netdev, ddecotig

From: Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 00:40:54 +0000

> On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 23:39 +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Yuval Mintz <Yuval.Mintz@qlogic.com> wrote:
>> > [I suspect there was probably some discussion over this,
>> > but I couldn't find it; References would be welcome]
>>
>> there was a work by David Decotigny that should have solved the out of
>> bits problem here [1]. Maybe it should be revived.
>>
>> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/1/26/882
>
> Yes, it should.

A repost would strongly facilitate that.

Just if anyone ever thinks something is being ignored, just don't
even use your brain, simply repost it again.

* RE: What now when we're [almost] out of ADVERTISED bits?
@ 2015-11-30  6:11       ` Yuval Mintz
From: Yuval Mintz @ 2015-11-30  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ddecotig; +Cc: gerlitz.or, netdev, David Miller, ben

>>> there was a work by David Decotigny that should have solved the out
>>> of bits problem here [1]. Maybe it should be revived.
>>>
>>> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/1/26/882
>>
>> Yes, it should.
>
> A repost would strongly facilitate that.
>
> Just if anyone ever thinks something is being ignored, just don't even use your
> brain, simply repost it again.

David, are you going to re-post? Or do you want me to take over this one?

@ 2015-11-30 17:26         ` David Decotigny
From: David Decotigny @ 2015-11-30 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuval Mintz; +Cc: gerlitz.or, netdev, David Miller, ben

yes, I will update+repost.