* Firmware bug on ASRock X370/Ryzen 2600 prevents use of TPM device
@ 2022-12-13  1:49 Genevieve
From: Genevieve @ 2022-12-13  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-integrity

Hi there,

Apologies if this is the wrong mailing list for this query - feel free
to redirect me if so.

Looking into issues I'm having with systemd being unable to access the
TPM, it seems they occur because its firmware reports incorrect info
and the kernel or driver then can't expose a device for it.
(The device combination here is an ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC motherboard
and a Ryzen 2600 CPU).

> tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: [Firmware Bug]: ACPI region does not cover the
> entire command/response buffer.
> [mem 0xec6c2000-0xec6c2fff flags 0x200] vs ec6c2000 4000
> fbcon: Taking over console
> tpm_crb MSFT0101:00: can't request region for resource
> [mem 0xec6c2000-0xec6c2fff]
> tpm_crb: probe of MSFT0101:00 failed with error -16

This leads to some errors later in boot when a TPM device is expected
but cannot be found:

> systemd-pcrphase[601]: ERROR:tcti:src/tss2-tcti/tcti-device.c:452:
> Tss2_Tcti_Device_Init() Failed to open specified TCTI device file
> /dev/tpmrm0: No such file or directory
> systemd-pcrphase[601]: Failed to initialize TCTI context:
> tcti:IO failure

(The initial bug report filed with systemd can be found here:
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/25700)

It was suggested to me that it is possible to tweak the driver
to allow it to expose this device despite the issues with its
firmware, which is why I'm reaching out here.

Let me know if there's any other additional information I can provide,
and thanks for your time.

Best,

Genevieve

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-12-13  1:55 UTC | newest]