* Access samba share which underlying storage is very slow
@ 2016-12-13 13:35 Wang, Zhiye
       [not found] ` <CAH2r5mszkDE9pEF3D-Qsv0ek=n1SkpBRsm9ZdipgyFqUA8n=4w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wang, Zhiye @ 2016-12-13 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Dear all,

I use Samba to share FUSE based file system which underlying storage is very slow sometimes (not always). Read/Write/Open sometimes may take several minutes. And especially, "write" must be in sequential manner. And "write to file" cannot break in the middle of a file (much like tape).

All that are ok for Samba, but it seems to be a problem for CIFS on client side. It seems operations timeout are all hardcoded, and cannot be adjusted during mount. After timeout, CIFS client will reconnect and then resume "write" from where is broken (but this is not acceptable for my case).

Is there a way to make CIFS client block at slow operations without timeout?

Thanks
Mike

* Fwd: Access samba share which underlying storage is very slow
       [not found]   ` <CAH2r5mszkDE9pEF3D-Qsv0ek=n1SkpBRsm9ZdipgyFqUA8n=4w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-13 17:23     ` Steve French
From: Steve French @ 2016-12-13 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

there is a "hard" mount option and the "echo" timeout can be adjusted on mount

On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Wang, Zhiye <Zhiye.Wang-gYDOmNCWHYlWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I use Samba to share FUSE based file system which underlying storage is very slow sometimes (not always). Read/Write/Open sometimes may take several minutes. And especially, "write" must be in sequential manner. And "write to file" cannot break in the middle of a file (much like tape).
>
> All that are ok for Samba, but it seems to be a problem for CIFS on client side. It seems operations timeout are all hardcoded, and cannot be adjusted during mount. After timeout, CIFS client will reconnect and then resume "write" from where is broken (but this is not acceptable for my case).
>
> Is there a way to make CIFS client block at slow operations without timeout?
>

> Thanks
> Mike

Steve

Steve

* RE: Access samba share which underlying storage is very slow
       [not found]   ` <CAH2r5mszkDE9pEF3D-Qsv0ek=n1SkpBRsm9ZdipgyFqUA8n=4w-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-12-14 14:05     ` Wang, Zhiye
       [not found]       ` <CY4PR10MB159109A9F879DD7834B93FBEE49A0-871WlKnvxleuFQuCF5OPf4Ca9M1JiERdvxpqHgZTriW3zl9H0oFU5g@public.gmane.org>
From: Wang, Zhiye @ 2016-12-14 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Thank you for the information.

"hard" seems a good option for me. I will do more test.

As to "echo" timeout, are you referring "echo_interval"? It seems this option was implemented pretty late, and only most recent Linux distributions include its support.

Besides that, I have already configured samba server to serve "echo" request in separated process("async smb echo handler = yes", so "echo" server will not be blocked by "open/read/write" operations), but I can still see warning below on client side:

[620422.570128] CIFS VFS: Server 10.57.33.134 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...

Do you have any suggestion on this?

Thanks
Mike

@ 2016-12-14 23:27         ` Steve French
       [not found]           ` <CAH2r5mu=ZxY2TfOEcopxuCJgEVbuo0i0mDCbzJ2yTzJi-=7tWg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Steve French @ 2016-12-14 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wang, Zhiye; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Yes - you are probably correct since echo_interval tunable was added
in the last year or so.

Reconnection logic has been much improved over the past three years,
so make sure you are not running a very old kernel (or ask your distro
to backport fixes) - there are lots of corner cases in reconnect.

Note that very old cifs had an "echo retries" module load parm (for
cifs.ko) that could be increased from its default of 5 (or reconnect
could be disabled by setting to zero).   The echo interval was 60
seconds.

Note that even this far back cifs.ko intentionally did not timeout on
certain (potentially very slow) operations (writes that are past end
of file was one example)

@ 2016-12-21 10:07             ` Wang, Zhiye
From: Wang, Zhiye @ 2016-12-21 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve French; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Thank you for the suggestions.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Wang, Zhiye <Zhiye.Wang@arcserve.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the information.
>
> "hard" seems a good option for me. I will do more test.
>
> As to "echo" timeout, are you referring "echo_interval"? It seems this option was implemented pretty late, and only most recent Linux distributions include its support.
>
> Besides that, I have already configured samba server to serve "echo" request in separated process("async smb echo handler = yes", so "echo" server will not be blocked by "open/read/write" operations), but I can still see warning below on client side:
>
> [620422.570128] CIFS VFS: Server 10.57.33.134 has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...
>

> Do you have any suggestion on this?
>

> Thanks
> Mike

Steve