* [SPDK] vhost target failover?
@ 2018-04-16  7:41 Huang Frank
From: Huang Frank @ 2018-04-16  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi,all

What's the failover mechism of vhost target? If the vhost target goes to crash, how to make sure the guest can process without affectting?

Thanks,
Frank.

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 721 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
@ 2018-04-18 16:29 Ming Lin
From: Ming Lin @ 2018-04-18 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Hi Frank,

The virtio initiator will automatically re-connect to vhost target
after vhost daemon restarts.

Regards,
Ming

@ 2018-04-17  1:55 Huang Frank

From: Ming Lin<mailto:minggr(a)gmail.com>
Date: 2018-04-17 07:14
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
Subject: Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Harris, James R
<james.r.harris(a)intel.com> wrote:
> I agree with Pawel regarding vhost crashes.  If the SPDK vhost target
> crashed, I would recommend treating it similarly to the host kernel
> crashing.  There’s no way to know exactly what may have been inadvertently
> modified due to the crash.
>

> But the idea of “managed failover” could be useful in terms of upgrading the
> vhost target.  I’m not aware of anyone actively working on this at the
> moment however.

Hi Jim,

We(Alibaba) have done some work to handle vhost target crash.
We'll share it(and other modification&improvement) in the coming US SPDK summit.

Regards,
Ming

> Regards,
>

> -Jim
>

> From: "Wodkowski, PawelX" <pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
> Date: Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:47 AM
> To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>, James Harris
> <james.r.harris(a)intel.com>
> Subject: RE: Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
>

> We can implement any kind of failover mechanism. Starting some kind of proxy
> process to pass vhost user messages to child process would not be so hard to
> implement. In theory.
>
> But the question is how to handle crash in the middle of request? In
> virtio-net situation is much simpler – if TCP network packet is lost it will
> be retransmitted. If packet is retransmitted after vhost-net target restart
> - it will be filtered by TCP layer. What to do if in the middle of eg 2MB
> write vhost crashes and restarts? One solution could be to promote the vhost
> target restart/recover to the SCSI reset event. It's doable.
>

> Another issue is that if vhost crashes it mean there was some serious issue
> including possibility of trashing guest memory. Personally, I recommend (and
> I think DPDK recommend this also) to save what you can and restart
> everything.
>

> Adding Jim as he could write something more here.
>

> Pawel

[-- Type: text/html, Size: 7027 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
@ 2018-04-16 23:41 Luse, Paul E
From: Luse, Paul E @ 2018-04-16 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

Awesome, thanks Ming!

From: Ming Lin @ 2018-04-16 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-04-16 23:19 Luse, Paul E

@ 2018-04-16 23:14 Ming Lin
From: Ming Lin @ 2018-04-16 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk

@ 2018-04-16 19:37 Harris, James R

From: "Wodkowski, PawelX" <pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: Monday, April 16, 2018 at 1:47 AM
To: Storage Performance Development Kit <spdk(a)lists.01.org>, James Harris <james.r.harris(a)intel.com>
Subject: RE: Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?

We can implement any kind of failover mechanism. Starting some kind of proxy process to pass vhost user messages to child process would not be so hard to implement. In theory.
[...]

kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-04-16 16:02
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
There is none currently. Device will be seen as dead. All requests will stuck. Anything else related to guest should be unaffected.

Pawel

What's the failover mechism of vhost target? If the vhost target goes to crash, how to make sure the guest can process without affectting?

Thanks,
Frank.

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 14592 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
@ 2018-04-16  8:47 Wodkowski, PawelX

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-04-16 16:02
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
There is none currently. Device will be seen as dead. All requests will stuck. Anything else related to guest should be unaffected.

Pawel

What's the failover mechism of vhost target? If the vhost target goes to crash, how to make sure the guest can process without affectting?

Thanks,
Frank.

________________________________
kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 13743 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
@ 2018-04-16  8:08 Huang Frank

From: Wodkowski, PawelX<mailto:pawelx.wodkowski(a)intel.com>
Date: 2018-04-16 16:02
To: Storage Performance Development Kit<mailto:spdk(a)lists.01.org>
There is none currently. Device will be seen as dead. All requests will stuck. Anything else related to guest should be unaffected.

Pawel

What's the failover mechism of vhost target? If the vhost target goes to crash, how to make sure the guest can process without affectting?

Thanks,
Frank.

kinzent(a)hotmail.com<mailto:kinzent(a)hotmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 6816 bytes --]

* Re: [SPDK] vhost target failover?
@ 2018-04-16  8:02 Wodkowski, PawelX
From: Wodkowski, PawelX @ 2018-04-16  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spdk