* How to update YP kernel image (run-time)
       [not found] <mailman.4187.1540841639.2881.yocto@yoctoproject.org>
@ 2018-10-30  2:23 ` Raymond Yeung
From: Raymond Yeung @ 2018-10-30  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Let's say I've a working run-time system running 2016 April release (Krogoth) Poky image.  I've it installed previously from a USB thumb drive onto a much bigger SSD with all partitions setup.  I don't need to change the partition from here onward.

Is there an easy way to replace it with, say 2017 Oct release (Rocko) Poky image (and vice versa)?  E.g. by replacing just one file (e.g. bzImage)?  Or is there a script that would take care of it?  What happens to all the existing directories, e.g. /etc, /bin etc.?

I've been trying to adapt init_install.sh under poky/meta/recipes-core/initrdScripts/files, but it seems to assume I've a separate device (like USB drive).

Thanks,
Raymond

* Re: How to update YP kernel image (run-time)
@ 2018-10-30 19:35   ` Kosta Zertsekel
From: Kosta Zertsekel @ 2018-10-30 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raymond Yeung, yocto

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 4:23 Raymond Yeung wrote:
> Let's say I've a working run-time system running 2016 April release (Krogoth) Poky image.
> I've it installed previously from a USB thumb drive onto a much bigger SSD with all partitions setup.
> I don't need to change the partition from here onward.
> Is there an easy way to replace it with, say 2017 Oct release (Rocko) Poky image (and vice versa)?
> E.g. by replacing just one file (e.g. bzImage)?
> Or is there a script that would take care of it?
> What happens to all the existing directories, e.g. /etc, /bin etc.?

The question has no connection to a specific Yocto release at all.
If I rephrase the question it becomes "How do I upgrade my Linux system at all?".
Take a look at ResinOS partition scheme here:
https://www.balena.io/docs/reference/OS/overview/2.x/#image-partition-layout
May be it can shed a bit of a light.

--- Kosta Z.

* Re: How to update YP kernel image (run-time)
@ 2018-10-30 20:00   ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2018-10-30 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raymond Yeung, yocto

On 30/10/18 03:23, Raymond Yeung wrote:
> Let's say I've a working run-time system running 2016 April release
> (Krogoth) Poky image.  I've it installed previously from a USB thumb
> drive onto a much bigger SSD with all partitions setup.  I don't need to
> change the partition from here onward.
>
> Is there an easy way to replace it with, say 2017 Oct release (Rocko)
> Poky image (and vice versa)?  E.g. by replacing just one file (e.g.
> bzImage)?  Or is there a script that would take care of it?  What
> happens to all the existing directories, e.g. /etc, /bin etc.?

You get an overview about Yocto's updater at:

	https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/System_Update

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic@denx.de