* wireguard fails with "exports duplicate symbol blake2s_final (owned by kernel)" in latest poky / meta-openembedded #dunfell
@ 2022-08-03 16:12 Colin Finck
From: Colin Finck @ 2022-08-03 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I've just upgraded to latest poky and meta-openembedded and deployed a build to one of our devices.
Unfortunately, wireguard no longer works. It fails with

    wireguard: exports duplicate symbol blake2s_final (owned by kernel)

when the module is loaded.

Judging from the message, it looks like https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?h=dunfell&id=387d23c02ea0e59ea31d52a40917556648389e96 is related.
Could someone have a look?

Thanks!

Colin

* Re: wireguard fails with "exports duplicate symbol blake2s_final (owned by kernel)" in latest poky / meta-openembedded #dunfell
@ 2022-08-03 17:46 ` Colin Finck
From: Colin Finck @ 2022-08-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I confirm that this problem doesn't occur when reverting poky back to 232fdbf0e5fe27ab1a6130f9435b359d975e1c72.
Which makes it even more likely that 387d23c02ea0e59ea31d52a40917556648389e96 is the culprit.

* Re: [yocto] wireguard fails with "exports duplicate symbol blake2s_final (owned by kernel)" in latest poky / meta-openembedded #dunfell
@ 2022-08-03 20:24 ` akuster808
From: akuster808 @ 2022-08-03 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.finck; +Cc: yocto

Colin,

On 8/3/22 09:12, Colin Finck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just upgraded to latest poky and meta-openembedded and deployed a build to one of our devices.
> Unfortunately, wireguard no longer works. It fails with
>
>      wireguard: exports duplicate symbol blake2s_final (owned by kernel)

This wireguard commit appears to address the issue.

https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-linux-compat/commit/?id=52978fcc265c472773b0b334d31705573ae8cb98

can you try this and send a patch if it works?

-armin

@ 2022-08-31 14:32   ` Colin Finck
From: Colin Finck @ 2022-08-31 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Thanks for the quick response, Armin!

After talking to Jason A. Donenfeld, it turned out that updating to the latest wireguard 1.0.x version is the only solution supported by the author. We should never maintain our own fork of wireguard 1.0.20200401, even less so considering that it's a highly security-critical component.
The major and minor version of the latest wireguard stays the same. Hence, this is even a solution for a Yocto LTS release like dunfell.

As a consequence, I'm importing the latest wireguard version in this PR: https://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded/pull/599

I have tested that PR and it works like a charm on latest Yocto/Poky dunfell.
Even no longer reports a "dirty" version or warns about "loading out-of-tree module taints kernel".

Colin