* review request for the project page
@ 2014-09-10 17:18 Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2014-09-10 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: IonutX Chisanovici, Belen Barros Pena, toaster

Hello,

I have a first version of the project page almost working.

What works is:

- triggering builds for manual-entered targets (top box)
- adding and removing layers
- updates to the most recent builds section

This patch should unblock back-end toaster testing by allowing correct
build command triggering.

The patchset is here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=adamian/20140910_projectpage

Can you please review and test, see if it works for you ?

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Damian
Yocto Project

* Re: review request for the project page
@ 2014-09-12 11:03 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-09-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damian, Alexandru, Chisanovici, IonutX, toaster

Hi Alex. I've looked at the build form at the top of the page and the
layers to start with. We know there is a lot of stuff going on in this
page, so I figured we should take it bit by bit. Here is a list of things
that I've found. Let me know if you have any questions.

Belén

NEW PROJECT BUTTON

* From the "New project" button, we need to remove the arrow down form the
button and the clone, export and import options, since they will not be
part of the functionality we are aiming for in 1.8M1

* From the "New project" button, we need to remove the list of projects.
It works nicely when you have only a few a projects, but does not scale to
large numbers of projects. Projects will be accessible from the all builds
page (we'll add a "Project" column to that table, and also a toggle to
switch between an 'all builds' view and an 'all projects' view. Designs
for all this in progress).

BUILD FORM AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

* The big build button at the top of the page should be disabled whenever
the input field is empty, instead of using the current approach of showing
a message when you click the button. The button should be enabled when you
type the first character in the text field.

* Also, because the field is required,  you get this 'invalid' red styles
applied when the field is on focus. I'd like to get rid of those and use
the disabled state of the button instead to tell you that you must fill in
the field.

* We are missing the help text in the 'build' button. It should say: "Type
the name of one or more targets you want to build, separated by a space.
You can also specify a task by appending a semicolon and a task name to a
target name, like so: <code>core-image-minimal:do_build</code>"

* When I type in the text field at the top of the page, the input goes to
both build forms: the one at the top and the one in the Targets section of
the Project configuration, which is interesting. Is this on purpose? If
so, it would be good to know why you've decided to do it like this.

RECENT BUILDS

* When there are no builds in a project, this section should not show. The
heading is currently showing, vey lonely without any builds below :)

PROJECT LAYERS

* This div should not have a grey background (a bit too heavy). We need to
apply a .well-transparent class and create this class in default.css

.well-transparent { background-color: transparent; }

* The 'add' button should work like the  'build' button: most of them work
the same way, really. They are disabled while the input field is empty, we
enable them when you type the first character.

* When I try to add a layer, I get the error shown in
adding-layer-error.png (attached)

* About layer suggestions: for layers coming for any "external" layer
source (and by "external" I mean any layer source other than the
"imported" one) we should show only one layer suggestion, the one for the
branch that matches the project release. By selecting that layer, you are
selecting to use the branch head, whatever that may be at the point of
building. We do not show the same layer for all the different commits used
in past builds. For example, if I have project with release 'master', I
will get one suggestion for meta-yocto [OpenEmbedded | master]. If I
select that option, Toaster will go fetch the head of the meta-yocto
master branch and use that for the build. For imported layers, what we do
depends on the information you provide when you import the layer. 1) If
you provide a branch name, the imported layer behaves the same way as the
layers from "external" layer sources, and the suggestions will show:

layer_name [Imported | branch_name]

When I select that, Toaster fetches the head of branch_name, whatever that
may be at the point of building, and uses that, but the suggestions still
only show one option for that layer.

 2) If you provide a commit, then we'll show

layer_name [Imported | commit_SHA], and Toaster will fetch always that
commit, but ones again Toaster shows only one option for that layer in the
suggestions

* In the layer suggestions, I should not get suggestions for layers that
are already added to the project. If I already have meta [Local tree |
HEAD] in the project, I should not see that layer in the suggestions

* I am a bit confused about the out of the box behaviour when it comes to
releases and branches. Right now I have 3 releases available: HEAD, master
and daisy. I assume HEAD is the local tree, master will use the poky
master branch, and daisy will use the poky daisy branch. When I create a
project with release HEAD, I get 3 layers added to the project with a
layer source called "Local Poky" and a branch called HEAD. The naming is a
big confusing (no problem: that can be changed), but it behaves as I
expect. When I create a project with release 'master', I get 3 layers
added to the project with a layer source called "Local Poky" and a branch
called 'master'. That's where things get confusing. I would have expected
in this case to get 3 layers with layer source "OpenEmbedded" and branch
"master". If I create a project with release 'daisy', I get no layers at
all: I would have expected to get 3 layers with layer source
"OpenEmbedded" and branch "daisy".

* Release, source and branch names:

Release names should be: "Local tree", "Yocto Project master" and "Yocto
Project 1.6 Daisy" (or Yocto Project 1.7 Dizzy).

The layer source names should be: "Local layer" and "OpenEmbedded"

For layers in the "Local layer" layer source, the branch name should be
the name of the branch I checked out locally. If I checked out the dizzy
branch, I should see "[Local layer | dizzy]". If I checked out the master
branch, I should see "[Local layer | master]"

* In the layer suggestions, there should be a space between the layer
source name and the |, and the | and branch name

* When I type a layer name instead of selecting a suggestion, I should get
a message to import the layer, as explained in page 22 of the design
document "Creating projects"

* The tooltips you get when you hover over the project layer names don't
have the right formatting (they should look like the one you get when you
hover over the question mark icons)

* The delete icons are missing the tooltips

* When I click the delete icon, layer names should disappear with a fade
out animation. There is currently no transition

* When you create a project without layers (or without any other bit of
the minimum configuration), the interface tells you (see pages 10 to 17 of
the design document). I guess this part of the design is not in place yet

On 10/09/2014 18:18, "Damian, Alexandru" <alexandru.damian@intel.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>

>I have a first version of the project page almost working.
>
>What works is:
>

>- triggering builds for manual-entered targets (top box)
>
>- adding and removing layers
>
>- updates to the most recent builds section
>

>This patch should unblock back-end toaster testing by allowing correct
>build command triggering.
>

>The patchset is here:
>http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=adamian/2014
>0910_projectpage
>

>Can you please review and test, see if it works for you ?
>
>Cheers,
>Alex
>

>--
>Alex Damian
>Yocto Project
>
>SSG / OTC

[-- Attachment #2: adding-layer-error.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 92223 bytes --]

* Re: review request for the project page
@ 2014-09-16 19:50   ` Damian, Alexandru
From: Damian, Alexandru @ 2014-09-16 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: toaster