From: Thomas MARCHESSEAU <marchesseau@gmail.com>
To: linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: RAID 5 "magicaly" become a RAID0
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 23:42:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi team ,

Like probably lot of  new subscriber , i mail you, guys,  for help .

I¹m running a raid5 on 7 HDD for several month now ( and years on other
system) without problem .
last week i had a crash disk (sdg)  , i¹ve add a new drive (sdi)  and
rebuild ..  Works fine , and i dont think this is the cause of my today
problem.

Yesterday , i¹v upgraded my ubuntu 14.10 , and the system warm me with a
message that i can¹t recall and rewrite exactly , but something like :
md127 doesn¹t not match with /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf ,  blah blah , run
/usr/share/mdadm/mkconf , and fix /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

i¹ve done it , and reboot , all looks good .
All the drive have been rename after reboot ( orginal sdg was extract form
the bay )

I¹ve setup a rsync of my most important data on a external drive this
night, who partially failed  (only 25% ha been backuped , bad luck )  ,
(probably) because  this morning  i have re-inserted by mistake the faulty
drive ( for information , i think the drive was in fact ok , the sata
connector was a bit disconnect )

I did not pay attention of the situation at the moment , but few hour
later , i ssh my filer and my « home »  (on the raid partition) was not
available anymore .
I didn¹t try to fschk or any thing else than :

Mdadm ‹stop /dev/md127
mdadm --assemble /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf
/dev/sdg /dev/sdh
mdadm: /dev/md127 assembled from 5 drives - not enough to start the array.

So i¹ve read a bunch of usefull link , one of them :) ,
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_Recovery  , says , don¹t do
stupid thing until drop a mail on linux-raid mailling Š so i¹m here  .

i¹ve collected  this usefull info :
mdadm --examine /dev/sd[a-z] | egrep 'Event|/dev/sd'
/dev/sda: (system HDD )
/dev/sdb:
         Events : 21958
/dev/sdc:
         Events : 21958
/dev/sdd:
         Events : 21958
/dev/sde:
         Events : 21958
/dev/sdf:
         Events : 21958
/dev/sdg:
         Events : 21954  <‹ here
/dev/sdh:
         Events : 21954  <‹ and here

i¹ve also a full copy of mdadm ‹examine

The strange thing is that  my raid array is now seen as a RAID0 in
mdadm --detail /dev/md127
/dev/md127:
        Version :
     Raid Level : raid0
  Total Devices : 0

          State : inactive

But individually all drive in mdadm ‹examine , are RAID 5 member .

Anyone for help  ?

i¹ was on the way to perform a
mdadm --create --assume-clean ‹level=5 --raid-devices=7 --size=11720300544
/dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh

Which looks a bit stupid before ask for help

Regards thomas